Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#49232 - 07/12/08 03:48 PM Finally Photos of my Minorca Rooster!
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Arkansas
I finally was able to snag some photos of Schitzo!

Please, take a look at them and tell me what you think! I'm sorry...but they were taken right before a huge storm and of course the girls wouldn't let me get in a good position that wouldn't make him freak! Out of all my birds...he's the craziest. And that includes the Leghorns...

And some of Fancy...she kept falling asleep.

#49233 - 07/12/08 09:53 PM Re: Finally Photos of my Minorca Rooster!
Moo Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Washington
I like them, the tails are good and fanned out. The main bad thing I see about the tails are how low they are, I believe they are supposed to have a higher tail.

The hens comb looks odd, is she just starting or finishing laying? It should be more flopped over, but it could be improved in a breeding or two.

Overall they look good, the tails should just be higher.

#49234 - 07/13/08 02:42 AM Re: Finally Photos of my Minorca Rooster!
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

lol..yes, she's in her second year and it has just started flopping over. It had originally flopped over a bit...and then she molted just in time for shows and it shrank. It's just now started to flop over like it's supposed to. Her mother had an AWESOME comb as did her father.

I'm not quite certain about the tail..I'll admit though...these pics were taken during a thunderstorm so that might be part of it. Fancy has always had that lower tail...but when she does "stay" it looks really good.

Fancy's comb will have the double flop...I was noticing that yesterday and wanted to get some photos to compare for next year. There's another pullet...but since it's her first year, her comb is still relatively small. I don't think Fancy will finish until later this year or early next spring.

#49235 - 07/13/08 03:36 AM Re: Finally Photos of my Minorca Rooster!
D. Honour Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: New York
Nice birds.I like the type.I would not worry about the combs.They could have a bit higher tail angle ,if you get picky. They are good exhibition line.Hatchery stock Minorcas are small,short backed and high tailed.It is odd that they are so wild,hope he calms down.Always select for calmer/tamer birds when you can.

#49236 - 07/13/08 09:59 AM Re: Finally Photos of my Minorca Rooster!
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

See, I was within about a foot of Fancy and she was falling asleep. The rooster on the other hand acts like I've never handled him! lol! He does show like a "normal" bird other than you might have to chase him around the cage.

All of the hens are either lazy or really calm. He's just the crazy one. He doesn't seem to pass it onto his offspring, but I just haven't found any "replacements" from them. If I don't get some good replacement birds for my flock...I'll have to go searching for some new birds. I will NOT go back to Superior Farms for them...it's turned into a travesty...

Do you think the back is long enough? I've been working on lengthening the back and I think he's just about as close as I can get. I think a breeding with him and Fancy would give me a longer backed bird. Him and Curly might do it as well...sorry, thinking out breedings. Unfortunately, Curly is attempting to incubate again so she's not in laying condition...

#49237 - 07/13/08 06:28 PM Re: Finally Photos of my Minorca Rooster!
D. Honour Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: New York
I think the backs are plenty long enough,keep the weights close to standard with a slightly higher tail and they will be very respectable Minorcas.Unless they are too inbred,you should be able to raise some decent quality replacements.Perhaps the male will get better with age in temperament?

#49238 - 07/13/08 07:55 PM Re: Finally Photos of my Minorca Rooster!
Moo Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Washington
If you want some new blood, Beau Mcclain (sp?)has some great black and white minorcas that are giants with great type. I dont have his contact info, but he is from Montana and is a member of the montana poultry fanciers, CJR might know him. If you cant get ahold of him Duane Urch has some good ones from what I have heard, and Sandhill mentions that their blacks are from show lines on their site.

#49239 - 07/14/08 09:59 AM Re: Finally Photos of my Minorca Rooster!
Bushman Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Wisconsin
Adrian Rademacher from Waconia, Minnesota, has the best S.C. Black Minorcas, and has proven it at the shows, including Indy. His line are consistent winners.
1st John 5:11-12

#49240 - 07/15/08 09:16 AM Re: Finally Photos of my Minorca Rooster!
C. G. McCary Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Alabama
Hey Mikaela: nice birds! I love seeing pictures of your birds. I admit I don't know Minorcas, but they are so magnificent looking-- they're the largest of the Mediterraneans, aren't they? They mature quickly & lay when young as well as lay big white, chalky eggs? No aerial predator problem for them,huh?

Schitzo's comb-- so huge (remember I'm used to looking at pea-combs so I'm impressed with those large Single Combs)--does he have the right number of points-- how many points supposed to be there on his comb? and Fancy's comb looks like it does the proper twist to one side (front part)and then the remainder to the other side? What is Schitzo's weight? Fancy's weight?

They're flighty? CHRIS

#49241 - 07/15/08 03:23 PM Re: Finally Photos of my Minorca Rooster!
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

There's supposed to be six distinct points on his comb..but depending on how you look at it, it can be anywhere from 5 to 7! lol!

As for the weights, I'm sure the male is at least 9 lbs, but I'm not certain...I need to reweigh..LOL!

Well, only the rooster is flighty. The hens (Fancy specifically) will fall asleep with you in the pen. They don't really care at all...Fancy will actually greet you at the gate! lol

As for early...it depends. Mine usually don't start until 8 months because I want the nice body structure before egg production. So I feed the grower until as long as possible and in the case of a NICE bird..I will put into an area where I can control the photoperiod. Fancy isn't one of those...but I will say that the Minorcas, at least mine, aren't done growing until their 2nd year. Schitzo is just not two years old...so we'll see if he's done! lol!

Yes, they're eggs are VERY white! Chalky white! We've got leghorns and minorca eggs to compare...the only reason the leghorns are bigger right now is because they're older. But they're production birds...so I'm not too worried about how they look! lol!

Since the picture, Fancy's comb has already started flopping more. I'm LOVING it! smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Wieslaw 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 80 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box