Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#49329 - 08/17/02 09:39 AM Double feathers
Anny Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Belgium
Just one of my hens, a black Cochin, has double feathers. At the base of each feather shaft there is another, smaller, downy like feather. I had never noticed this before.

I would like to know if this is "normal", "breed specific" or "something special"?
Thanks, Anny.

#49330 - 08/17/02 10:01 AM Re: Double feathers
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well Anny, I don't know about the double feathering, but it does give us a clue as to why they look so big and fluffy!! laugh

#49331 - 08/17/02 12:15 PM Re: Double feathers
Aram Seattle Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Washington
All of my birds have it. RIR, Barred Rocks, Mutts, Ameraucanas. It is normal.

#49332 - 08/17/02 05:24 PM Re: Double feathers
Anonymous
Unregistered

Anny, is this from feathers that you've pulled? .. only 'cause I haven't seen it in any of the multitude of feathers I have on the ground...

#49333 - 08/17/02 05:57 PM Re: Double feathers
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Anny, Oh, if I could take pictures like those of the feathers! Although I mailed feathers to a person who wanted to have a new variety approved by APA, the recipients could not see the colors. If I had been able to show pictures to many--we would have the proper color names!

Certainly chickens with plumage like your Cochin, would be hardier for cold weather and maybe better insulated against hot weather. Thanks for sharing! CJR

#49334 - 08/17/02 07:43 PM Re: Double feathers
Anonymous
Unregistered

thats really neat! The pictures did come out great, nice and clear. In the am., I'm gonna go check my birds for that sort of feather growth.

#49335 - 08/17/02 11:49 PM Re: Double feathers
Anny Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Belgium
Thank you all for your comments. I marvelled about discovering THE phenomenon of this year and getting famous in chicken-world. Down to dull again! frown

Aram, I will look closer but I am quite sure my other hens (Australorp and Production Reds) have no double feathers.

Cochima! how could you think I would pull my sweet hens' feathers? wink She just started moulting. Maybe these double feathers only grow on some parts of the body, on some breeds? I have never seen any double pigeon feathers neither - my dog plucks lots of pigeons laugh

CJR, Canon Powershot G2 - Macro function - Frederic's steady hand. Yes, digital cameras are getting GOOD, and affordable, and they are very useful.
I don't know about insulation against hot weather, she pants a lot when it's hot.

NHReds, let us know what you found.

-------------

If I had more space I would have more chickens!

#49336 - 08/18/02 03:11 PM Re: Double feathers
Aram Seattle Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Washington

Well, here is a feather off my RIR hen's back. I swear I pulled it very quickly, there was very very little pain.

#49337 - 08/19/02 03:25 AM Re: Double feathers
Big Boy Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Kansas
Aram, I hope that I'll 'see' that feather some day.

#49338 - 08/19/02 05:41 AM Re: Double feathers
Anonymous
Unregistered

My Wyandottie, Polish, New Hamp., Golden Comets, Lt. Brahmas and Americanana all have that feathering. I do believe it is insulation against heat and cold. Flight feathers and some others are the only ones I have seen that don't have it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Wieslaw