Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#49339 - 08/19/02 09:47 AM Re: Double feathers
Aram Seattle Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Washington
BigBoy, the feather is right there, but the file is pretty large, so just stick around a little longer and it should upload. smile

If you can't wait, look in here:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RarePoultryBreeders/files/RIRDblFethr.jpg

#49340 - 08/19/02 10:03 AM Re: Double feathers
Anny Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Belgium
I can see Aram's picture????

#49341 - 08/19/02 10:50 AM Re: Double feathers
Big Boy Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Kansas
Not quite as good as anny's post but I can clearly make out the second 'twin' feather. Very good. Your's are Production Reds?

#49342 - 08/19/02 12:29 PM Re: Double feathers
Aram Seattle Offline
Coop Keeper

Yep they are, and like I said, I have seen them on my other birds too. I always thought that that's how they replace the feathers. The big one dropps off and the little one grows to replace it. I was probably wrong in thinking that they are like trees. Oh well.

#49343 - 08/19/02 01:06 PM Re: Double feathers
Anny Offline
Coop Keeper

Aram, when you post a link to a picture on a group, YOU can see the picture because you have it in your cache. Others cannot see it unless they download the picture first. I had to log in to Yahoo to see it. I have no idea how you can get around that problem but I will try to find out.
Feathers growing like trees! laugh laugh
Which part of your hen's body did you pluck? Ouch! I suppose these double feathers just grow on some parts of the body because not all the feathers are double.

BigBoy, you need the Macro-function to take a sharp shot that close.

#49344 - 08/19/02 01:35 PM Re: Double feathers
Aram Seattle Offline
Coop Keeper

Ok, Anny, help me solve this thing, please.

The way I post a picture if by writing IMG following by the address in a form of http://www.blah.com and then close it with /IMG

Both IMG and /IMG are surrounded by bracket parentheses but I am afraid to write it like I type it cause UML might interpret it as a command. Is that how you do it?

"[img] address [/img]" - is that right?

#49345 - 08/19/02 02:17 PM Re: Double feathers
Anny Offline
Coop Keeper

Aram, that's the way to post pictures allright. I think the problem is in the url. Most web space providers do not support this function, Photoworks doesn't, Yahoo and MSN you have to log in. Can you ask your internet provider, with most of them you get some free space.
If you go to "my profile" you will find my "Private Message" with an url to a picture. Try to post it, it should work, I hope.

#49346 - 08/19/02 06:21 PM Re: Double feathers
Anonymous
Unregistered

All chickens, and i believe all birds, have the double feather. A professional would know the name of it.
In the primitive emu the double feathers are equal in size.
INteresting to me, ostrich chicks hatch out with no down, but "pins". these are long,scalelikeand come double too! actually chickens hatch out with these double scales too, but they are reduced to twin hairs on the very tip of the down fiber, they drop off inthe incubator.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Wieslaw