Topic Options
#49481 - 07/16/02 09:27 PM Breed personalities
Anonymous
Unregistered

I need an opinion from people who raise Polish chickens. We have had Orpingtons and Australorps in the past, and have recently recieved several Polish, golden laced and white crested. Maybe we are too used to the friendliness of the Orpingtons, but we just cant get these Polish to trust us and not be afraid of us. While all the rest come running when they see us , the Polish hang back, will not come close, jump onto our hands, or even eat out of our hands. We recieved all the chicks at the same time, they are 11 weeks now, and have treated them all the same. Are all Polish like this or maybe we got a very shy strain?? Is there anything we can do to make them less afraid? Thanks, Vin

#49482 - 07/17/02 03:37 AM Re: Breed personalities
Big Boy Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Kansas
I have a small flock of Bearded Golden Polish but have raised other varieties of Polish in the past. Mine have never been as friendly as the Orpingtons or Brahmas or the Plymouth Rocks. They do seem to calm down some as they get older but personality-wise, I've seen better. Now, individuals can be quite friendly and I have a couple of hens that come to the door of their shed when they hear me whistling and seem to wait for me to talk to them but the others...no.

#49483 - 07/17/02 06:08 AM Re: Breed personalities
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Coquavin! I got a white crested black polish as an 'extra' from McMurray and while she is friendly she is a freek.. ! It seems that she doesn't see as well as the rest of my chickens (Rocks, Cochins) what, with alll that hair! (feathers!?)
I spent a lot of time with her alone and she has a chicken friend but the others seem to notice her more (why? lol!) and go after her. She is a sweet thing but skittish and an alarmist... I think it's just their nature!!
You've just gotta love 'em

#49484 - 07/17/02 11:23 AM Re: Breed personalities
Anonymous
Unregistered

I raise buff laced bearded Polish. I have noticed that mine with larger crests are extremly skiddish. This is due to the fact that they can't see that well. I have others that I can pick up and they don't care, but they normally don't run to me. But the breed is said to be flighty but that shouldn't keep you from playing around with them: they might get better as they learn your sent since they can't see you as well as other breeds. If they are not for show try clipping their head feathers back (not so that they bleed) so they can see better. Also try talking as you approach them so you don't surprise them.

#49485 - 07/17/02 12:15 PM Re: Breed personalities
Laurie Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: North Carolina
I have multiple colors of Polish from several sources (getting Black Crested Whites soon), and some are skittish by nature even as tiny babies, while others aren't.

If I want a lap chicken, I hand tame some as tiny chicks by taking them out of the brooder and letting them nap on my chest while I watch TV at night (this is most effective if done one chick at a time).

Then when their "hair" starts to grow, and might obscure their vision, I get those teensy plastic barrettes used for little human babies' hair and use one of those to hold the front topknot feathers back so the birds can have normal vision.

It's worked for me.

HTH,

#49486 - 07/17/02 11:48 PM Re: Breed personalities
Sadlm2 Offline
Chicken

Loc: California
Isn't the weight of baby barrettes enough to make the topknot flop? And don't the birds try to get rid of the barrettes? Do others pick at them?

#49487 - 07/19/02 04:03 AM Re: Breed personalities
Big Boy Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Kansas
I'd agree with the previous post concerning the barettes, but then, my Golden Polish flock has 17 hens and three roosters so they're on their own.

#49488 - 07/19/02 06:16 AM Re: Breed personalities
Anonymous
Unregistered

EEegads! What I thought was a 'she' just crowed this morning!! my little pol is a HE !!
:rolleyes:

Friendly Polish roo looking for good home!!

#49489 - 07/26/02 11:46 AM Re: Breed personalities
Anonymous
Unregistered

I used to have a beautiful White Crested Black Rooster. In the winter (in northern California) his 'bangs' would get in the water and freeze so I started tying his top knot into a pony tail of sorts. He didn't seem to mind at all and I think he liked being able to see better!

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Wieslaw