Topic Options
#49876 - 06/04/05 07:51 PM Standard (large) size or Bantams?
Shoofly Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Florida
I just recently purchased some chicks from a breeder who would do smaller shipments. The chicks are about 2 weeks old and I got a combination of cochins and acouple other breeds. My problem is that the cochins and the others seem very very small. I have 3 Americaunas that I raised from day 1 and they seemed bigger than these guys at 2 weeks. I am really confused. When I contacted the breeder, she told me they were all standard size and not bantams, but I am suspiscious. Is there any way to tell?? Its so difficult, I know, but I really want to know if I am being taken for a ride.

I have 3 large adult chickens I am going to be introducing them all to after they have grown so I want to make sure they have a fighting chance....

Thanks, M mad

#49877 - 06/05/05 02:54 PM Re: Standard (large) size or Bantams?
Rhea Dean Carter Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Tennessee
At the 2005 Southern Ohio Poultry Show in Lucasville, Ohio, there were a number of large fowl Cochins. I noticed one blue Cochin female that looked like a bantam compared to the others. I assume she came from a hatchery since she wasn't near as large as the others. It could be the person from whom you got yours got them from a hatchery, or perhaps he or she just has a line of small Cochins even though they're considered large fowl.

#49878 - 06/05/05 04:49 PM Re: Standard (large) size or Bantams?
Shoofly Offline
Flock Leader

Thanks...I have since e-mailed the breeder again and am hoping for an explanation. I don't know if its possible that the cochins are just smaller chicks than the Americanas.....I am really puzzled, but it is what it is, so I am just going to go with it. Any other comments would be wonderful.....

#49879 - 06/05/05 07:34 PM Re: Standard (large) size or Bantams?
Shoofly Offline
Flock Leader

Just talked to the breeder....She says her cochins are more boxy than tall. She also says that this size is not as big as the 'giant' cochins...that hers top out at 6lbs. I am satisfied. I think she just has smaller birds like you said Rhea. Thanks for your input! M

#49880 - 06/05/05 08:58 PM Re: Standard (large) size or Bantams?
Rhea Dean Carter Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Tennessee
Yes, her Cochins are on the small side. The Standard of Perfection calls for 11 pound cocks and 8 1/2 pound hens.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Wieslaw