Topic Options
#50082 - 10/23/05 04:17 AM Serama questions
Tiffany Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Texas
I found some research on these little birds. But wanted feedback from ya'll.
Here in Texas it doesn't get real cold, frosty mornings and warm afternoons, we will get a few days that freeze and might stay froze thru the day. Do I need heat lamps on these birds at a certain temperature drop? They say we will be going into the 40's this coming week at night. ALL my birds have shelter w/hay or shavings for bedding, and I cover pens with heavy plastic to protect from winds. First time w/the Serama's and they are about 3mos old., the other is right here on back of the computor chair (house chicken). :p

#50083 - 10/23/05 06:53 AM Re: Serama questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Tiffany, I'm assuming a Serama is a banty breed. As long as they have feathered up well, I don't think you need to worry about them getting cold. You've provided them with nice housing so adding a light might only mess up their inner clocks. 'Momma Nature' will make them hearty birds if they climatize to weather changes naturally.

#50084 - 10/23/05 08:55 AM Re: Serama questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't have any seramas, but I would think due to their little size they probably lose body heat faster then other bantams. Thats just a theory though.
I would just keep an eye on them and when they huddle up and are cold put a heatlamp in there.

#50085 - 10/23/05 09:41 AM Re: Serama questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Go to:
http://seramacouncilofnorthamerica.com
and you will have all questions answered there.

#50086 - 10/23/05 08:19 PM Re: Serama questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Fancyfree gave a great resource.

Chances are that they'll be fine(mine seem to be fine and it's getting to the 30s at night), but it might not hurt to have a heat lamp in case they haven't developed a good resistance to cold.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Wieslaw