Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Topic Options
#50562 - 03/27/08 03:52 AM Re: New Buckeye Cockerel
Jamie C. Offline
New Egg

Loc: North Carolina
Thanks from me also for the article. I had that information wrote down somewhere, but misplaced it. I am printing this for my archives. So far I have hatched 45 Buckeyes this spring. My hatchability was low to start with but is coming up with each subsequent hatch. I would like to also encourage those of you who go to shows and Don is there, to find him and let him go over your bird with you. He has helped me greatly by showing me how to handle the birds and feeling the different parts of their bodies to determine there specific qualities. Let's try to get together and start a club.
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/BuckeyeBreeders/messages

#50563 - 03/27/08 04:17 PM Re: New Buckeye Cockerel
C. G. McCary Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Alabama
Quote:
I am printing this for my archives.
JaimeC: you're as crazy about your Buckeyes as I am; I do the same thing!

My hatch rate was low initially but is likewise getting better.

#50564 - 04/06/08 09:24 PM Re: New Buckeye Cockerel
RuffEnuff Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Australia
buckeyes do not exist in australia and until this post i did not know about them. i found them very attractive (being a breeder of cornish) and noticed their similarity to some crosses i have. now i see photos of buckeyes even in the english magazine 'practical poultry'.

our local club is having an american breed feature show. each year we try to have some sort of feature that will include more than one breed but with some sort of link as member numbers are not high and it gives more members a chance to compete and larger bird numbers in the lineup.

buckeyes are not recognized in australia and i have no american breeds, except my buckeye look alike bantam pullet (see previous photo). so i have decided to enter her in the AOV section as buckeye and compete in the american breed section. all fun and games. i know i will be growled at and questions will be asked so i had better do a bit of research and have some photos.

anyone got some photos of any buckeye bantams?

also if you could look at this pullet has anyone any ideas on what to cross her with to improve on the buckeye characters, can you also tell me her faults? i was thinking cross back to the cornish?
k.

#50565 - 04/08/08 12:47 PM Re: New Buckeye Cockerel
C. G. McCary Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Alabama
ruffEnuff:

JaimeC led me to this book-- maybe it will be helpful as it goes into the history of each American breed:

http://www.archive.org/details/americanbreedsof00platrich

go to page 249 . . . Excellent reading for any
breed.

Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Wieslaw 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 61 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box