Topic Options
#50729 - 08/07/02 09:24 AM Turkens
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would like to hear from all who raise turkens. I got a couple in the assortment from McMurray, and found that I love how they look and act, but I can't seem to find any info on if they set or brood well. I am thinking of ordering some next spring, because out of all the breeds I received, they are my favorite. I did read somewhere that it seems either people love them or hate them, (their appearance, I mean), so I am interested in finding others who love them!! I am afraid I am going "over the top" with these two legged creatures, but can't seem to help myself. I find myself going out to just sit and watch them. That is why, I think, I like the Turkens, they seem more animated than the rest. Thanks for any info!!

#50730 - 08/07/02 09:57 AM Re: Turkens
Anonymous
Unregistered

I found some sites for you.

This one says " Adult and older hens can become broody and they are well known for their maternal instincts."
http://home.wanadoo.nl/gjosinga/raseng/naakthals2.htm

And this one has historical facts about the breed. Click on the linked words beside the pictures.

http://www.katki.hu/english/genmege/chicken/

#50731 - 08/25/02 10:53 PM Re: Turkens
Anonymous
Unregistered

hey Kychick,
well I have personally raised turkens and I think they are the cutest chickens around. Unfortunately no one else seems to agree with me. I've had all kinds of comments from visitors such as they look like vultures and my sister-in-law figured she would have nightmares about them. Can you imagine that?
And about the broodiness and stuff, I think I have 12 turken hens right now (all 1yr of age) and I had 3 of them set this summer. However, I didn't have too good of hatch rate on my first batch. I think I got one chick out of 8 eggs. But the 2nd hatch I did I got about a 90% hatch rate. My 3rd female failed to hatch any chicks out b/c she was stupid and kept kicking all the eggs out in front of her so they never stayed warm enough.
The one hen I already took away from her chicks, but the other one with chicks is still with them. In fact she will attack your shoe if you bother her too much. And the babies are absolutely adorable (I'm sure that you agree). I have about 10 different breeds of hens and I find the turkens to be the broodiest of the standard sizes (nothing beats a bantam for being broody). Anyways, hopes this helps you and feel free to e-mail me at cowgirl_985@hotmail.com.

#50732 - 08/26/02 03:07 PM Re: Turkens
Kaalnek Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: California
Turkens are my favorite breed. smile

My flock is almost completely turkens and naked neck mixes.

As for broodiness in hatchery stock turkens, just like Lexi mentioned, it varies from birds having apparently none of this trait to those who go broody easily and frequently. I have about 6 year-old hens from Privett hatchery, all except for two have gone broody already. Most of them were good at it(they also hatched peafowl eggs for me), but then I give all my chickens covered cat litter boxes which are quite secure and deep. Also it is interesting one of the links VTdotte mentions older hens- I have had hens in the past that never went broody their first or two years of life and then all of a sudden they are broody and go broody easily afterwards. I would say they were good mothers too.

I thought nobody else would like turkens, but I have had a surprising number of visitors who found them cool . I've also had people who went "eww" or "what's wrong with those chickens?" upon arrival but quietly ask if I have one or two for sale just as they are ready to leave. wink

#50733 - 08/26/02 06:41 PM Re: Turkens
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the web site, VTdotte. I have never personally seen a turken until I brought up the web site- very interesting. We are going to their birth place (Transylvania) for holidays next month and I will definitely be keeping an eye out for the Transylvanian Turken.

#50734 - 08/27/02 06:07 AM Re: Turkens
Anonymous
Unregistered

Do any of you have pictures you can post? I would like to see the different colors. The three I got from McMurray were all white with brown and reddish spots on them. Unfortunatly, two are dead, but the one left is wonderful. I have read that the naked neck trait is dominant when bred with other breeds, do you find that this is true? How do you get peafowl eggs underneath the hen? That would be very interesting to see. Especially when they start hatching!

#50735 - 08/27/02 11:16 AM Re: Turkens
Anny Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Belgium
There have been a few discussions, with pictures, about Turkens on the Old Coop . You can do a keyword search.
Beware, if your winters get very cold, you'd better start knitting scarfs! laugh

#50736 - 08/27/02 12:34 PM Re: Turkens
Kaalnek Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: California
North Rooster - Are you bringing a camera on your trip? Pictures of turkens in Transylvania would be so neat!

Thanks from me to VTdotte for posting the links too, btw.

kychick- I do have pictures.. if I find a place to put them up somewhere on the 'net, I will. Some of mine are up on Feathersite's Turken page at:

Feathersite\'s Turken page

I can say the naked neck is indeed dominant. However it probably should be called incomplete or co-dominant, as there is a visual difference between birds pure or only heterozygous("half") for the naked neck- the pures either have no or a very small "bowtie" having only a few feathers in it and the heterozygotes have a much larger bowtie that covers most or all of the lower front neck. Makes it very easy to select birds for pure breeding the naked neck trait.

Exceptions are breeding turkens with peacombed birds, Rokimoto mentioned the peacomb having a feather reduction effect, and I do get (peacombed)crosses that look as naked as the usual pure turkens.

As for peafowl eggs, just remove chicken eggs from nest, replace with peafowl eggs. wink I think I have pictures of peachicks hatched/hatching under hens too.. I take away the peachicks as soon as they dry off and put them in the brooder though. Hens can and do raise them as if they were their own- I've let a hen or two raise them before. It works nicely for people who intend to let the peachicks to be freerange peafowl- the hens help teach the chicks where home is.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Wieslaw