Topic Options
#50743 - 07/22/02 03:45 PM Welsummer Comb
Aram Seattle Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Washington
Does anyone know, what is the standard number of peeks on the welsummer comb. Is it 5 or can it be more?

#50744 - 07/23/02 09:00 AM Re: Welsummer Comb
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Aram, Welsummers should have 5 points on their combs. But, if showing, combs count very little in total scoring, so minor faults in comb might be acceptable. (but I would not show a bird without an almost perfect comb--his crown!). For breeding, the hen has great influence on the comb of the males--it should be perfect 5 points, also. CJR

#50745 - 07/23/02 11:22 AM Re: Welsummer Comb
Aram Seattle Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Washington
Thank you for the information. This is not for showing, just to make sure that I use the rooster htat has 5 points, rather than 55 smile as it looks now.

#50746 - 07/24/02 04:21 AM Re: Welsummer Comb
Nikki Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Michigan
I have also just started with Welsommer's, and its my understanding they are not in the APS yet. Anyone know why and how long or what it takes for a breed to get in. I'v read they are rare here in the U.S. I recived 2 batches from Sandhill this spring and both have more roo's then hen's so its going to be slow going, before I have any number's of them. I'v also seen Welsommer's spelled different (Welsumners) anyone know which is correct.

#50747 - 07/24/02 08:58 PM Re: Welsummer Comb
Graciel Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: New York
Nikki, in Holland the breed is called Welsumers, named after the town/area Welsum which is one of the places they originated near. Dutch Chickenbreeds page You might find this page interesting as it has some pictures of them and explains their origins with the founding breeds.

Jennifer

#50748 - 07/25/02 04:07 AM Re: Welsummer Comb
Big Boy Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Kansas
Thank you graciel for the web-site. It is quite interesting and I very much enjoyed the photos and the commentary.

#50749 - 07/25/02 12:06 PM Re: Welsummer Comb
Nikki Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Michigan
graciel thank you for the info. I have been to this site during my search to locate this breed. It took me all most ayear to find a hatchry/breeder here in the US. This will be my frist attempt at keeping a pure breed line of birds. I have hatched in the past but only to replace laying pullets. I have a small egg business and my customer's really like the different colors I offer. I plan to keep a select few for breeding and the rest will go into poduction. I may do some out crossing down the road, but that is a few years away. For now I'am waiting on the hen to roo ratio of my second batch of chicks frist batch was all roo not a very good start to a breeding program.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Wieslaw