Topic Options
#5078 - 07/18/02 11:25 AM Dog attack
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a terrier pet dog that has been fine with chickens up until now. Yesterday she picked up a few sparrow chicks that had fallen out of their nest. Today I found her with one of my three hens in her mouth and feathers everywhere. ONce I came out she ran off and left me to inspect the damage. The hen has several small holes in her skin but also has a wound around one inch diameter right down to the muscle on her breast. She looks alright and doesn't seem too short of feathers but she is very shocked, unsurprisingly. She still making all the normal sounds and is eating a bit. She sits down most of the time and her two friends sit with her, but don't peck her or anything. Should I separate her to heal the bites? I have some antiseptic dusting powder but that's about it. I don't know what to do to stop it getting infected or to hold the skin together. Could somebody PLEASE reply soon - I am kind of desperate for an answer! frown

MT

#5079 - 07/18/02 11:30 AM Re: Dog attack
Anonymous
Unregistered

When you have an injured bird it is always a good idea to isolate the bird from the others. Otherwise picking may occur. A few days may be that is needed.

I recently had a dog attack and one of my hens had a hole in her skin.... she was on antibiotic for 10 days, and went back to the floak after about 5 days and is doing great now. They are very resiliant.

:-)

#5080 - 07/18/02 11:38 AM Re: Dog attack
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks Kari!!

#5081 - 07/18/02 11:55 AM Re: Dog attack
Anonymous
Unregistered

So sorry to hear about your troubles. frown I think isolation would be best. As far as the other stuff I'm new here and learning as I go. I do hope they will all recover. Time to keep the doggy away. First time the chickens run it's a game for the dog. It's just being a dog. Got to love them too, despite how rotten they can get sometimes. Good luck!!

#5082 - 07/18/02 02:57 PM Re: Dog attack
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Arkansas
The best I can say without seeing this myself is to definitely separate her, first of all. Make sure she is not too hot nor too cold, depending on where you live. Don't worry about closing the skin on the wounds. Nature will take care of that one. Keep her wounds clean and keep an antibiotic cream on them -- just the human stuff, generic "triple antibiotic cream" is fine. If you have or can get the water soluble vitamins for poultry from a feed store, I would give that to the WHOLE flock, including the injured girl, just for the stress of the whole situation and helping the injured one fight off infection.

Beyond that, I'd just keep an eye on her. I had a dog attack a few weeks ago -- much bigger dog as mine is a Great Dane. My pullet seemed to only have a couple of minor wounds but she ended up dying the following day. I assume she had some internal injuries. I've had chickens that survived dog attacks just fine also. But I think the best thing for them, and the kindest thing, is to separate them so they can rest and get healthy or in case they end up in distress as my little one did a few weeks ago. I'm glad she wasn't out there with the rest of them at the time.

Susie

#5083 - 07/18/02 03:37 PM Re: Dog attack
Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree, seperation would be best. If she's eating, then she'll probably make it through just fine...no worries! As for the wounds, keep Neosporin on them to prevent infection. The wounds should heal rapidly. Good luck.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn