Topic Options
#50904 - 07/25/05 05:24 AM Small cockeral, large pullets
Lacka Offline
Bantam

Loc: New Hampshire
I have a leghorn cockeral that will probably weigh no more than 6 pounds. He is very shy and runs away from the pullets when they come near him. I have 7 New Hampshire Reds and 6 black sex link pullets. I fear the pullets will kill a cockeral smaller than them. Does size play a part?

On the other hand I have 36 Plymouth Rock broilers. One of the males is quite large and full of personality. I was thinking of keeping him on as the rooster-in-training.

Is it possible to keep two males with 13 pullets? Or should I keep the original cockeral leghorn and let the Plymouth Rock male be butchered this Sunday?

#50905 - 07/25/05 09:16 AM Re: Small cockeral, large pullets
T. Adkerson Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Missouri
You can keep the two males together. The only problem occurs when you seperate the two birds. When you introduce the two birds again they may fight for a short time.

The roosters will establish a pecking order. The dominate rooster will be the boss and the others will stay out of his way. The subordinate roosters need room to get away from the boss rooster.

I would not worry about the leghorn. I have had males that were very shy that eventually become the alpha rooster or boss rooster.

The only problem you may have with the pullets is that one or two of the pullets may become bald on their backs. Roosters will have a favorite hen and that causes the feather loss. One rooster to 14 hens is ok but 2 to 14 may cause feather loss.

Tim Adkerson

#50906 - 07/26/05 04:47 AM Re: Small cockeral, large pullets
Lacka Offline
Bantam

Loc: New Hampshire
I think I'm just going to keep the Leghorn. I have a feeling he'll come into his own once the other males are gone.

Thanks for the advice. smile

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Wieslaw