Topic Options
#51724 - 07/26/02 11:32 AM Very aggressive Cochin Bantam Rooster!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Help! My husband has a beautiful pair of high quality barred cochin bantams that we raised from chicks. Over the last few months the Rooster has become exceedingly aggressive. He jumped up and hit me in the back and will attack you if you put your hand in his cage. He even proceeded to take chunks of flesh out of my hand and arm WHILE I was handling him!! We don't know what to do. None of our other roosters act like this. Thanks in advance for any help! confused

#51725 - 07/26/02 12:02 PM Re: Very aggressive Cochin Bantam Rooster!!
Aram Seattle Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Washington
Does that happen when you let him out. I heard that many roosters become aggressive when they are caged and denied female company.

#51726 - 07/26/02 06:36 PM Re: Very aggressive Cochin Bantam Rooster!!
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Scooter, Some roosters are so possessive of their hen or hens that they will attack to assert their ownership, especially, if they think you may be taking his hen away from him! And you do sometimes, to examine for mites, trim toenails or bill, other inspections! Some are aggressive, some are very mellow. In spite of "training", beating, cradling, hosing, pinning that many offer, nothing is reliable--you must always be aware of such a cock--they love to hit you from behind. Carry a stick. Wear gloves, Hold the feed bucket in front--or find a new home. You will have to be creative in your approach and never let your guard down! And protect children and guests! Good luck. CJR

#51727 - 07/26/02 07:32 PM Re: Very aggressive Cochin Bantam Rooster!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

He has always had the company of his hen, until recently. The reason we moved her is because we enjoy handling her and he was out of hand. One of my oegb cocks is aggressive seasonally so we can deal with him. This just seems wrong for a cochin to be this way...especially with daily handling for a year. We also have a cockeral from him that is already showing signs of aggression though once he's in hand he becomes very passive. I definitely don't want to breed this into the chicks! Thanks for the suggestions!

#51728 - 07/26/02 11:10 PM Re: Very aggressive Cochin Bantam Rooster!!
Kaalnek Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: California
Scooter, as you're starting to find out already with the son of that rooster.. aggression can be genetic and passed on to offspring.

There are roosters who stay gentle or non-aggressive no matter how they are kept or raised, some that are in middle of road aggressive, some of which can be deterred from attacking again by picking them up or squirting the hose on them.

And then there's the genetic nasties- roosters that attack no matter how they were raised or kept. And no matter how they are dealt with, they continue to attack repeatedly their entire lives. I've had to deal with a couple of those before. Gah. frown Unfortunately it is looking like the rooster may be one of those.. frown

#51729 - 07/28/02 05:22 PM Re: Very aggressive Cochin Bantam Rooster!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you, everyone! Being the hubby's roo, we've had the discussion and already pulled him from our breeders. The next step will be up to hubby...

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Wieslaw