Topic Options
#51748 - 08/08/02 08:42 PM Wyandotte
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a few two-year-old Silver laced Wyandotte’s and five young SL Wyandotte pullets I purchased this year. Well, at least they are supposed to be pullets. This is my first experience with Wyandotte’s, so I am not sure yet. My older birds have varying sized wattles, some larger, some smaller. My pullets are just now 8 weeks old. Two of the five have larger and brighter wattles than the other three. Their feathering appears all the same at this time. Are these two just going to have large wattles? or do I have two roo’s?
I also have some Buff Orpingtons and Black Austrolorps. I can easily tell which of these are roos. The have much larger combs and wattles and NO tail feathers. The pullets all look like little miniature hens.
Thanks in advance for helping to clear this up. I know if I am just patient and wait long enough I would figure it out on my own...but this is more fun.
Shari

#51749 - 08/09/02 05:35 PM Re: Wyandotte
Anonymous
Unregistered

How much bigger are they? Usually, you can sex silver-laced at less than a month of age. The males get red combs and wattles very quickly. Also, male silvers often dont grow back feathers in for a while, and the females do.

#51750 - 08/09/02 08:34 PM Re: Wyandotte
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks Pakers,
I am still unclear. These two little ones have much brighter red combs and wattles. But their feathering has been identical to the other three. If I compare size and shape of body and feathering all five are the same. Just the wattles on these two are larger.
I suppose it is the rose comb and never having seen an adult Silver Laced roo.
I have decided to phase out my Wyandottes and go with Marans. If these are roos, they may go sooner than later. smile I am sure I will figure it out eventually.
Thanks again,
Shari
PS I love this place. I have learned so much already.

#51751 - 08/10/02 06:33 AM Re: Wyandotte
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wyandottes can be tough, try holding the bird and spreading the wings apart...look for narrow saddle hackles starting to develop. They may be quite short so look closely, parting the plumage with your fingers. If that doesn't work, try this... I have both gold laced and silver laced Wyandottes, and have developed a sexing technique that works 100% of the time! It will be our little secret so try not to spread it around....try waiting about 5 more months, the ones that start crowing will be the cockerels....the ones that start laying eggs will be the pullets. wink laugh . Ha Ha, this works every time, with every breed. smile

#51752 - 08/10/02 11:59 AM Re: Wyandotte
Anny Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Belgium
NHReds, I had my first good laugh since weeks, Thanks, Anny.

#51753 - 08/10/02 07:50 PM Re: Wyandotte
Anonymous
Unregistered

NHReds said ....try waiting about 5 more months, the ones that start crowing will be the cockerels....

I knew asking you folks would be a lot more fun.

I don't want to sound like a complete fool...but could someone explain what 'saddle hackle feathers' are? I tried to figure it out by looking at the birds that I know are cockerels or pullets and couldn't tell.

Just a side note if these two are cockerels: That would mean out of the 25 chicks I bought (only two were supposed to be cockerels) I will have probably 7 cockerels. I thought the big hatcheries were supposed to guarantee 95% accuracy. I ended up with only about 70%. confused

Thanks,
Shari

#51754 - 08/10/02 10:12 PM Re: Wyandotte
Anonymous
Unregistered

On a mature rooster, the saddle hackles are those long, narrow, pointed feathers that drape over the sides toward the tail. See the picture below, the silver laced cock has long, defined silver saddle hackles hanging down just in front of the tail sickles. The picture is one from feathersite.com. On your birds, the saddle may not be growing in yet, but it should be. Look between the wings down under the plumage. They will look like real thin feathers pointing straight toward the rear. As they get longer they tend to drape over the rear, creating a sort of "saddle". Hope this helps. wink

#51755 - 08/11/02 04:11 AM Re: Wyandotte
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wow!! What a beautiful roo.
Ok, so that is kind of where I assumed I should look, and I knew I was looking for narrow feathers, so I don't think we have any of those yet.

I am leaving for a week. I have no doubt my confusion will be cleared up when I get back. They are all maturing so fast...I can't imagine how much bigger they will be in a week.
Thanks again,
Shari

#51756 - 08/12/02 03:13 AM Re: Wyandotte
Big Boy Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Kansas
NHReds, nice photo and nice male!

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Wieslaw