Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#51792 - 09/25/05 04:50 AM Re: Favorite Bantam Breed?
Chicken Man Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Canada
HI My my vote is for brahma bantams they are beatiful little birds. They are great for 4-h they stand there but with character.They lay like crazy and will hatch 1 or 2 batches a year they are great mothers they usually have 90%-100% hatch rate. They come in three different colour Buff,Light and Dark.Brahmas are hardy in the weather mine even lay in the winter and try to brood .

The brahmas being a biger bantams some times are a little agressive as you cockerels but loss the when age.

Other than that they are great! My second favorite would have been the wyandotte bantam

#51793 - 09/25/05 05:16 AM Re: Favorite Bantam Breed?
Sue NH Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: New Hampshire
My favorite is a little D'Uccle hen I have. Comes running every time I'm near and wants to be picked up. Happy just sitting in my lap or riding on my shoulder. My daughter is rather enamored of the D'Uccle roo. Loves the way he takes on things 5x his size and has to check everything out. Doesn't beg to be held, too cool for that, but is happy to hang out and be pet once you do have him.
Definately higher energy than my little cochins who I adore too. Sweet birds but almost sedated compared to the D'Uccles.

#51794 - 09/25/05 02:46 PM Re: Favorite Bantam Breed?
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Arkansas
Another vote for the brahma bantam. They have such a cute personality! The feathers on the legs makes them look so cute! And since they really can't run for stepping on their own leg feathers, are usually pretty tame when older!

#51795 - 09/26/05 11:36 AM Re: Favorite Bantam Breed?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Since they haven't been mentioned much yet, I should also mention SILKIES and FRIZZLE COCHINS. They aren kinda the opposite of Moderns in look, but they definately are fun to have arround and fun to look at.

#51796 - 09/26/05 04:25 PM Re: Favorite Bantam Breed?
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Arkansas
I completely forgot about the Frizzle cochins! They are adorable! Especially the brown ones! They don't look dirty when they are and they all have attitudes...now I can't decide! Are they good layers?

#51797 - 09/26/05 05:21 PM Re: Favorite Bantam Breed?
Cool2Chickens Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Ohio
Another Vote for the Dutch bantam, they are very good choice for a beginner due to there calm nature. I also like the silkie bantam they are really a gental and clam breed. They also make good mothers. Mostely find a breed you like and will enjoy seing in your yard and in the barn.

Cool2Chickens
http://bluerunbantams.webs.com/

#51798 - 09/26/05 06:31 PM Re: Favorite Bantam Breed?
Deb AZ Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Arizona
Being that all my kids were in 4-H and particpated in open shows for a number of years with each choosing a couple different breeds to work with. I would have to say the two that I will always have are the Dutch and the D'anvers. both are very personable breeds. The interaction between keeper and fowl makes keeping fowl a pleasure. There are days you have to remind yourself they are really chickens.

Deb

#51799 - 09/30/05 01:04 PM Re: Favorite Bantam Breed?
Archer913 Offline
Bantam

Loc: Tennessee
Allright here's the deal I'm stuck between the Dutch Bantams and the Serama's. Thanks to everyone for helping me narrow things down a little.

#51800 - 09/30/05 02:16 PM Re: Favorite Bantam Breed?
RIR32 Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Kentucky
if you would like some info on seramas goto www.jerrysseramas.com he has some nice pic to.

#51801 - 10/01/05 04:53 AM Re: Favorite Bantam Breed?
Anonymous
Unregistered

OK, my vote is for the Bearded D'anvers. Very, very tame and very friendly. In fact, just got 9 more from Privette Hatchery 2 last week!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Wieslaw 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 83 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box