Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#5187 - 07/30/02 03:29 PM pale yolks
Anonymous
Unregistered

HELP NEEDED.
The problem I`am having is the yolks on most of my eggs are to pale,Eggs bought from the super market are more yellow than mine. I think this problem has been creeping up for some time.I feed them on ALLAN & PAGE LAYERS PELLETS. A small amount of mixed grain morning & night. They are free range during the day so they are eating grass I presume is there a simple remedy.
thanks in advance.
Just to tell you what breeds I have warrens, r.i.r. black rocks, ---- silver laced & gold laced wyandottebantams,silver dorkings, buff sussex bantys.

#5188 - 07/30/02 04:55 PM Re: pale yolks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Egg yolk color is impacted directly by what the chickens are fed (I am not familar with the brand you mentioned.) Beta carotene, or xanthophyll both are natural plant pigments and when hens are allowed to eat green plant material or carrots,corn,or other foods rich in the beta carotene concentrates in the yolk making it dark often orange. Eating red peppers makes yolks red, and some plants can make the yolks green or even black. <%}
J Tallon

#5189 - 07/31/02 02:58 AM Re: pale yolks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello.

Janet, What do you mean by red pepper's? capsicum's, or chilli's or both?

Also, What plants would make egg yolks green or black?

Thank-you

Daniel

#5190 - 07/31/02 05:37 AM Re: pale yolks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Carrom

I haven't posted here before, but have found this site to be fantastic information source, great people too. It's helped me out no end over the last 18 months with my hens.

I'm in the UK as well, and changed my layers feed to Allan & Page about 6 months ago. I have also noticed that the yolks in my eggs are getting paler. I did look at the contents listed on my previous feed and it contained yolk enhancers. Like you my birds are on grass so I thought that changing to Allan & Page which is more organic, non-gm and doesn't contain any additives, wouldn't make a difference, but it has. I also give mixed scratch, but have reduced it 'cause it's summer and the Wyandottes were getting fat. I'm sorry, but I haven't got a solution but will be interested to see what others suggest we do.

Sundaz

#5191 - 07/31/02 06:00 AM Re: pale yolks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi guys! it's interesting, this topic on yolk color.. I never thought about it before.. all my birds are on an organic feed, (no GM's here!) thus no yolk enhancers.. do they really put that in chickne feed?? my birds are also free range, grass, bugs etc: they also get stuff fresh out of the gargden (tomatoes are thier favorite!) and so, it will be interesting to see what their eggs look like.. It should be soon and if this topic doesn't get locked up, I'll post the results!

#5192 - 07/31/02 06:27 AM Re: pale yolks
Big Boy Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Kansas
That is very interesting that a change in commercially available feeds would cause that much noticeable color variation. I mean that I haven't noticed it in the States but we give alot of greenstuffs and partial free-range in addition to layer mash and so I haven't noticed as much variation as a whole. It does seem like there is some variation between layers in the same flock such as the flock of Buff Orpingtons, or the flock of Light Brahmas (but that may be due to individual dietary choices?). Cochima, it is still hot and dry here and it seems that the egg yolks as a whole are paler than usual but that may be just my perception.

#5193 - 07/31/02 06:56 AM Re: pale yolks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Big Boy, I for one will be excited just to get an egg!!

#5194 - 07/31/02 02:36 PM Re: pale yolks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks to everyone who replied.I`ve been told that carrots & toms are exceptionally high in caratone but should you need to feed these foods just to get a good coloured yolk.The problem is everyone expects free range eggs to have deep coloured yolks and thick whites & also in the UK brown shells, funny old game isn`t it. Has nobody got the secret.

#5195 - 07/31/02 02:53 PM Re: pale yolks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sounds to me like you should just swap out the feed and see what you get. Sounds like your girls are already getting good veggies, I wouldn't think you'd have to give them anything additional. I'm no chicken feed analyst, but if two of you both notice the paler yolks with that brand of feed...or am I stating the obvious? What is a 'yolk enhancer', anyhow?

#5196 - 07/31/02 04:11 PM Re: pale yolks
BC Breeder Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Canada
we have various "healthier" versions of eggs on the store shelves. The ones sold as "Veggie Fed" are of the poorest quality, having watery egg whites that almost foam in the fry pan. The Formula3 brand is supposed to be organic and omega 3 enriched but has pale yellow yolks. Apart from yolk colour, they are of decent quality. The Born 3 is also omega3 enriched but is by far the highest quality of the "healthy" eggs I've seen. It also has deep dark yellow/orange yolks. I've added the link to the Born 3 website which will give the ingredients list. I haven't a clue what makes their feed "special", but it definately gets the job done by the eggs I've seen on the shelves.

http://www.born3.com/b3_layer.htm

Pictures related to my blue eggers can be viewed at:
http://groups.msn.com/BCsBlueEggers

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn