Topic Options
#5198 - 05/13/04 06:13 PM Which cock would YOU keep?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi folks, it's been a while since I've posted here but I am again in need of your opinions!

Here's my situation: my husband & I have 5 bantam hens and 1 bantam cock. Our neighbors have moved and we just became the proud new owners of their 8 FULL size hens and 1 FULL size rooster. Now I don't know all the breeds of the new chickens but some of the girls might be buff cochins. The others are nice fat black & white speckled ones. The rooster is god-only-knows.

Here's the thing: I know in my gut that if I try putting those two roosters together one will end up dead. My little bantam is good with his hens and an absolute WEENIE as far as humans are concerned. You say "Boo!" and he runs. But I had another couple of roosters before and he kept them well alienated until one died of unknown causes and the second one he killed.

The neighbor's cock is a big brute. We got in a fight the other day; it was a draw. He's good at protecting his girls and a little more aggressive than I'm used to.

But here's the thing: I tend to favor my weenie rooster, mostly because he's easier for me to deal with and much smaller to kick around if I have to.

Do you think the big hens will pick on the little rooster if I choose him?

Thanks!

#5199 - 05/13/04 06:43 PM Re: Which cock would YOU keep?
Anonymous
Unregistered

You could try setting up two different runs so you could keep all of them.

We've never had a problem with our standard hens & bantam roosters. Perhaps you could try putting the big roo somewhere & add the little guy first to see how the hens react. I'd rather keep a friendly rooster then one that shows aggression towards me. Plus a big rooster might damage your little hens. But if you want chicks from the standard hens it'll be a lot harder with a bantam rooster.

#5200 - 05/13/04 06:59 PM Re: Which cock would YOU keep?
Rogo Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Arizona
You don't say whether the birds are confined or daytime free range. I had Bantams and Standards together for years, and a bunch of roos with no problem. They daytime free ranged.

Well, here's my 2! I would suggest a 3 week introduction period. Pen the new birds where they can see your birds and vice versa, but can't destroy each other. This jail time will also show the new birds where home now is and where they should eat, lay eggs and roost. Keep the feeders filled. Without this jail time, they may go back to where they used to live.

At the end of the 3 week jail time, open the gate of the new birds and let them come out on their own. This has always worked for my free ranging flock, and I tend to have a lot of roos!

If you decide to get rid of the big roo, the jail time should still be done for the hens so they will get along with your birds ~ both the hens and the roo - and also stay at your place.

#5201 - 05/14/04 06:58 PM Re: Which cock would YOU keep?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Rogo:
You don't say whether the birds are confined or daytime free range. I had Bantams and Standards together for years, and a bunch of roos with no problem. They daytime free ranged.
Good point. We are moving too - so all the chickens are going to a new home and I am planning the "jail time" method, as you say. smile laugh

I only have a 1/2 acre lot and so the chickens will be in a run most of the time. I may, after jail time's over, allow them the run of the yard during the day, but mind you, my backyard is less than half my 1/2 acre lot so even that seems to me to be very close quarters for 2 roosters.

And since we still need space in our yard for 3 dogs and 2 goats, a patio and space for human use, another garage and eventually kids, I don't plan on taking up the extra room for a second chicken run. frown

But your suggestions are appreciated & I'd still like to hear from anyone else who might have an opinion. smile

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn