Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#52281 - 07/21/02 06:37 AM Large vs Bantam.
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a 10 week old Crested Polish roo and my question is, how big is a banti at this age and what do they weigh?
I think I need to find a home for him as my Barred Rock roo has a contract out on the little guy all because
he started crowing! I'm interested i knowing if he's a banti or not 'cause I don't want to 'misrepresent' him
to his future home.....
He's with a barred rock pullet that's 9 weeks old, and minus the feathers on his head he's about the same size
as the pullet, though much lighter.. he's geting saddle feathers and has some bigger feathers comming in
on his tail... he's awfully sweet (when he's not acting like a freek) and I hate to see him go but better that
than dead at the hands of my other roo...

Thanks for your help!

#52282 - 07/22/02 06:16 AM Re: Large vs Bantam.
Oatman99 Offline
Bantam

Loc: Wisconsin
I would say he's a standard polish. Even though he's lighter than the barred rock pullet, rocks are a heavy breed, and if I can remember right, polish are not as big nor as heavy. Hens also tend to grow and develop faster than the roos, which would explain the size similarities dispite the age difference. A bantam would be much smaller than the rock pullet at this point. Hope this helps, though I'm by no means an expert at these things. Just thought I'd throw my opinion out there.

Oatman_99

#52283 - 07/22/02 06:29 AM Re: Large vs Bantam.
Oatman99 Offline
Bantam

Loc: Wisconsin
Aha! I was going through the messages below this one, and in "Breed Personalities", is the polish you mentioned as the "extra" from Murray McMurray the same one you are talking about here? If so, you can be sure it's standard as McMurray doesn't sell bantam polish. It may not be pure bred, but you can be sure it's not a bantam.

Oatman_99

#52284 - 07/22/02 02:39 PM Re: Large vs Bantam.
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't know Oatman and Cochima...
I have some Polish Banties that I ordered through Strombergs Hatchery.. they are not quite as old as the one that Cochima talking about but (more like a month old, or so)..but
the Polish banties that I have are HUGE and are MUCH bigger than the other banty chicks that I ordered at the same time. Is it that they could be on the larger size of the bantams or just plain develop faster?? They are cute and have "hairy" little heads. I don't know but my little guys are MONSTERS, compared to the others and have overtaken the brooder! confused -Flowergirl

#52285 - 07/22/02 02:45 PM Re: Large vs Bantam.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oatman, yes he is the 'extra' from Murray McMurray. All black and blue and bruised and bleeding when I first opened up the box and saw him... those cornish x were using him as a foot warmer! The McMurray catalog lists White Crested Black Polish bantams on page 11 of their catalog and the standard size on page 24..... :-/ that's why I was confused, they say that the larger polish weigh 3 1/2 - 4 1/2 pounds but didn't mention how much the one's on the bantam page weighed... I don't know about pure bread, but he's not show quality as his white crest is rimmed with black.... very distinguished looking though..

thanks for your help, I just hope I can get him to a nice home...

#52286 - 07/22/02 02:55 PM Re: Large vs Bantam.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Gee Flowergirl, didn't see your post untill after I had already posted myself... do you know how much do your Polish weigh? I don't see this guy getting any bigger than he is and the rock pullet should be taking over in the growing process... since she looks like the other older girls, she doesn't get harassed near as often as he does... I called McMurray and told them that whoever was working in the packaging dept. there, needed to revise their policy a bit....
I'm going to go out and weigh the little guy, maybe I could get more info on the weights of these birds..!?

Thanks!!

#52287 - 07/22/02 03:02 PM Re: Large vs Bantam.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh, one more silly little story about the Polish banties cool ...
This is kinda goofy...
When I went to the post office to pick up my chicks, shortly after they had called to tell me they were in, I got a suprise. The guy handed me my box of chicks and told me that when they arrived he noticed that one of the "furry-knot" headed little guys had his hair-do STUCK to the shipping label and couldn't get off by itself. The post office guy said that he had to take a pair of scissors and very carefully trim the feathers away from the sticky label!! I felt just awful for the little chick, whom now had a big bald spot on his head :rolleyes: . Well, thank goodness that the post office man took the time to help him out! Don't worry though, the feathers have grown back and I can't even tell which chick had his very "first" haircut . Just thought I would share frown

#52288 - 07/22/02 03:30 PM Re: Large vs Bantam.
R. Okimoto Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Arkansas
Standard Polish grow a little slower than Standard Leghorns. I've never weighed them, but at 10 weeks a Standard sized Polish is probably still under 2 lbs and probably closer to 1 lb. (500 grams). Bantam Polish shouldn't get larger than around 30 oz for a rooster. They are on the small side for bantams. A lot of standard size Polish chicks aren't any bigger than bantam chicks, but they grow faster than bantams. The Polish that I've had have all (except for one line of Silver Laced) laid a pretty small egg. You get small chicks from small eggs.

#52289 - 07/22/02 04:03 PM Re: Large vs Bantam.
Anonymous
Unregistered

OK! I wasn't expecting it but the little bugger weighs 2 pounds!! so does his little friend GG.
So, mystery solved, I guess he's a standard Pol........ but he was just so tiny as a chick!
Flowergirl, when he first arrived all beat up and really pathetic, I was making a warm wet mash for him 'cause his eyes were swollen shut and I didn't want to force water down him.. he got some of the wet stuff on the front of his furry-knotted head and it dried to the consistancy of cement!! needless to say, he was our little punk-rocker untill he grew feathers... I should have known then that he was a boy!!!

Thanks for everyone's help smile

#52290 - 07/22/02 04:08 PM Re: Large vs Bantam.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok, next question, would he do better with other standard chickens or banties.... I guess I should find someone who's raising standard pol's!?
I should send him back to Murray McMurrray's...!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Wieslaw