Topic Options
#52421 - 11/11/05 05:30 PM heterosis
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Pennsylvania
I have results of 2 different breed crosses this year. Cross A is Cornish X Modern Game (bantams). these birds are larger than either parent and very robust, breasty and solid. Their combs look like pea type with a bit of single in the mid area(on the cockerel), the pullets is a nicely formed pea comb.
The other cross was a Sumatra X Phoenix which I bred both ways. F1s appear very similar, not sure I can tell them apart w/o looking at id bands. Possibly the Sumatra over Phoenix resemble the Sumatra more in the males; the phoenix over Sumatra may seem a bit more phoenix like? Again the size is greater in the F1s as is the robustness, not that either of the purebreds(inbreds) display any kind of unhealthiness what so ever. These are probably the prettiest birds I have ever bred and they are still only 4-5 months of age. I am interested to note when they will molt the main tails, the Phoenix molt 1st at arounf 18-20 months usually and the Sumatras sooner. The Phoenix dont drop the saddles, at least not by 3 years of age.fertility in the inbred pure lines was excellent, that cannot improve too much. I am wondering how many gens to get the size down w/o harming the vigor and resistance of the flock, which shouldnt occur if I select properly, but they are too big. The green sheen was excellent on the parent Sumatra birds and seems more so on the crosses. The F1s as chicks very much looked like the pure Sumatra with a bit less white down.

#52422 - 11/11/05 06:23 PM Re: heterosis
Chicken Bill Offline
Feather

Loc: Oklahoma
rob i would love to see some pictures of your birds

#52423 - 11/12/05 05:58 AM Re: heterosis
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Pennsylvania
I am going to try to get some more and better photos on my site this winter, it used tp work for me but ?? no sure what went wrong. I am pretty stupid with the puter.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Wieslaw