Topic Options
#53069 - 10/30/05 10:18 AM Minorcas
Hen-Gen Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Island of Fetlar, Shetland
Very interested in Minorcas. Is the breed popular in the USA, are they all single combed or does the rose comb version exist (its extinct in the UK) and are folk working on new colours?

#53070 - 10/30/05 01:05 PM Re: Minorcas
Rhea Dean Carter Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Tennessee
Both the single and rose comb varieties exist in the US. As far as I know, there are only three recognized colors: black, buff, and white. I've only seen the black variety at the poultry shows I've attended. I saw a black single-comb male last fall, and he was huge! He must have been 30 inches long (beak to tail feathers) and stood 24 inches tall.

#53071 - 10/30/05 06:41 PM Re: Minorcas
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Arkansas
There's a breeder down here of the Rose Comb Variety, but I don't know if he sold his birds. I heard that he did because he didn't want to keep up with them...then again, I heard he might have kept a few for fun! They are huge! They look horribly mean too! I prefer the Single-comb variety, but the Rose Comb has a definate advantage in cold weather.

#53072 - 11/02/05 10:22 AM Re: Minorcas
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have two buff minorca hens, and had one black minorca roo, all single-combed. I like the hens, though they're shy. I think they're giving me a steady supply of eggs, judging by the number of white eggs we get daily (we also have leghorns, an ancona and hamburgs). We had to get rid of the rooster, after he continued to attack my 3yo son and my 2yo niece. He was only 8mos, and already very aggressive. Hope you get nicer roos than poor ol' J.T. Cluck!

#53073 - 11/02/05 04:23 PM Re: Minorcas
Hen-Gen Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Island of Fetlar, Shetland
Thanks for the insights, guys. This breed certainly have character!

#53074 - 11/04/05 07:12 PM Re: Minorcas
Sarah B. Offline
Chicken

Loc: Wyoming
My friends raise show quality black and white single comb Minorcas. The whites are definitely more flighty than the blacks. They are great layers and yes, they are very large. They make my Dutch Bantams look like teeny little birds. I don't think that my friends have had much trouble with mean roosters. Good luck with your quest and if you need locations of some breeders I know of a great one.

#53075 - 11/05/05 05:00 PM Re: Minorcas
Blue Egg Girl Offline
Chicken

Loc: Michigan
Black Minorcas were my Grannys favs.
Does anybody know who has rose comb Minorcas? I didn't know they came with RC too!
I have wanted to get some but have resisted due to the single combs and our harsh winters.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Wieslaw