Topic Options
#53574 - 09/27/05 03:09 PM Sebrights from McMurray?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi, can anyone tell me what quality they are? I know they wont be SQ, but as long as it doesn't look like the "Sebright" a friend of mine got from the hatchery we have here in canada, I am OK with it.
Thx in advance

#53575 - 09/28/05 10:58 AM Re: Sebrights from McMurray?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Have you thought about going to a breeder? There is a breeder in the Interior - Vernon I think, who has excellent Silver Sebrights, not sure if he has Golden as well but you would be far better off than going to a hatchery.
If you would like contact info, just send me a private email.
James

#53576 - 09/28/05 03:07 PM Re: Sebrights from McMurray?
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you want a sebright get one from a breeder- the ones from any hatcheries might as well be a different breed. they are two or three times as big also. I have bought from many hatcheries in the past, and many breeders...with other breeds you can buy from hatheries and get something similar, but not with the sebright- that's because breeding a bird to have type and perfect lacing and keep size tiny is a challenge.

#53577 - 09/28/05 03:10 PM Re: Sebrights from McMurray?
Anonymous
Unregistered

My problem is, every breeder I know here in Canada has inbreeding problems, and second I don't have the money to get any from a breeder right now(also I don't have a drivers licence and can't pick'em up, with chicks I would have someone to pick'em up). My last pair I bought from a breeder was so inbred it was impossible getting chicks that would live longer then 4 days after hatch.....

#53578 - 09/28/05 09:00 PM Re: Sebrights from McMurray?
Kara Bitry Offline
Bantam

Loc: Arizona
Yes, I know your situation and if you dont care about showing them, then yes they do look like the breed, they are larger than the standard calls for and there feathering is not perfect, but they DO "look" like the breed. I havnt had any from them in about 5 years but that is what mine looked like.

#53579 - 09/28/05 09:06 PM Re: Sebrights from McMurray?
Anonymous
Unregistered

How is the temperment? I've heard they tend to be all kinds of crazy...

#53580 - 09/29/05 06:49 AM Re: Sebrights from McMurray?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, I got 1 SQ rooster and 1 hen which has an awesome feathering(better then the one from the roo), but she is way larger then him. I get really nice, small babies out of them though. I'll give'em a try.
I personally love my sebrights more then my cochins, silkies or anything else I got on chickens. All the ones I raised by hand love people and always want to be picked up. The ones I bough and that were very shy changed really quickly. These birds are really smart and let no other breed boss them around doesn't matter how big those others are(my Seb hens even chase the barred rock rooster around the yard when he gets too cocky), these guys are on top of everything. Also those little buggers don't ruin our lawn!!!!

#53581 - 10/29/05 08:31 PM Re: Sebrights from McMurray?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I love sebrights! They are by far my favorite breed... and we've had 70 breeds over the years. I've raised sebrights for 11 years now.
The temperment varies by the strain (in sebrights the differences between strains are very pronounced)
Good show strains tend to be very friendly less flighty and also much smaller. Commercial (by that I mean hatchery birds) are much larger- oftentimes twice the size- and if they are a good laying strain they tend to be more flightly.
Males of just about any strain can be prone to attack, especially during the spring. But they often make the best show birds if they have alittle extra cockiness, because then they are fearless!
The most hardy show strains are often crosses among the very best strains- in the US that would be Bonds, Volker and Stone, Krahe, Douglas and King.
Mine are so friendly they often will jump into you lap and just about every seb from a good show strain will strike a pose and show themselves off and sing as soon as they see you.
Yes they do fly very well- avairy type pen is best.
You can keep them laying better if you try and hold off the pullets from starting to lay as long as possible.
They need to be put in during the winter.
They can be very territorial- to other animals and sometimes people- and that goes for hens too.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Wieslaw