Topic Options
#53582 - 08/13/02 12:49 PM New Hampshires Reds
Anonymous
Unregistered

Anyone able to share their experiences with this breed(not bantam so much as the large breed)temperament, production etc. One of the few I've never owned but planning to in the near future if further research goes well. I realize in any breed one can get an ornery or non productive one but its always nice to get other opinions.They look like excellent birds but all I have & don't have do also.lol Enjoy the board & view it regular.I hope to learn enough one day I may be able to change my handle to (HelpUIfICan)maybe just maybe. Thanks in advance.

#53583 - 08/13/02 02:16 PM Re: New Hampshires Reds
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Years and years ago, we had a large flock of New Hampshires for egg production, no roosters. They were quiet, very good productive birds--enjoyed them. And years later, I kept a few for my family eggs, and only the cockerels until they were large enough to butcher, as I was not into hatching. They were easy to keep. Bantams came later--I really like the large breeds--but bantams are so much easier in every way--for me, anyway--to each his own. It is so nice that there are MANY breeds to choose from, so we can each be satisfied. But for family birds, I do recommend New Hampshires. CJR

#53584 - 08/13/02 08:42 PM Re: New Hampshires Reds
Anonymous
Unregistered

CJR thanks for your input. Its very encouraging to hear this from such an experienced person. Seems I should have placed this under Breed Discussions. I'll get the hang of this one day.

#53585 - 08/14/02 06:22 AM Re: New Hampshires Reds
Anonymous
Unregistered

New Hampshire Reds the ultimate chicken! (I'm a little biased though wink ). I have about 10 to 12 breeds of chicken now, but the New Hampshires are my favorite. They are great egg layers, great meat birds, great foragers, blend in well with the landscape (not as visible to predators), quiet, calm, and just plain good looking! laugh I really like the breed. I have 2 roosters who live with all my hens, Henry and Charlie. They are easy on the girls, dont really crow all that much, and they seem to enjoy people. You cant sit down for dinner at our picnic table without Henry running over, hopping up on the table with you and trying to steal vegtables from your plate! Charlie just lays on the ground at your feet, waiting for his share (come to think of it, they act alot like our dogs!) I think you'll really enjoy the breed, we sure do!

#53586 - 08/15/02 07:08 AM Re: New Hampshires Reds
Anonymous
Unregistered

I had a trio once. The rooster was nice and is now in IL, and I still have the hens. At two years old they are both still laying. (I got rid of the rooster because I didn't know haw he would handle new pullets in the flock.) Now I find out the lady who bought him put new pullets in with him, and he didn't do a thing to harm them.

#53587 - 08/15/02 08:31 AM Re: New Hampshires Reds
Nikki Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Michigan
I was given a New Hamp rooster 7 yrs ago. He was a sweet heart, a gentle giant. Something got into my coop and killed him and a few hens. At that time I had a barred Rock hen setting, and she gave me a New Hamp. Barred cross rooster. Jr is no where as beautiful as his daddy, but he has his lovely dispostion. Jr is 5 now, and I love to watch him look after his hens.

#53588 - 08/18/02 10:49 PM Re: New Hampshires Reds
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for all the responses. This is what I was hoping for. I was already leaning toward getting them but with these inputs its a done deal.

#53589 - 08/19/02 06:15 PM Re: New Hampshires Reds
Anonymous
Unregistered

I also have a New Hampshire Red named Henry! Your bird is fantastic looking. Very mature and proud. I dont have a picture of my Henry, but I have one of my other NH Red cockerel named Charlie, here he is...

#53590 - 08/19/02 07:23 PM Re: New Hampshires Reds
Anonymous
Unregistered

My Henry thanks you for the compliment. Henry is 5 months old. He was a fat baby, bigger than all the other chicks. He is huge now, but for some reason, he's low on the pecking order. I had to move him today because of the little barred Rocks picking on him so badly. He is a real nice guy. Your rooster is nice. He looks more like some of my other NHR roosters.

#53591 - 08/22/02 10:18 AM Re: New Hampshires Reds
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just wanted to share a little & say my New Hampshire chicks came in this morning. I am impressed so far. All are so healthy & alert. If they turn out like some of the pictures that were posted I'll be more then pleased. With these new ones I've got 179 total(chickens,chicks). This hobby has really taken off. PS folks around here are starting to talk about me (more then usual).They just don't seem to get it. Thanks again for all the input.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Wieslaw