Topic Options
#5466 - 02/04/03 07:13 AM Deposit on egg shell
Anonymous
Unregistered

The last egg I got from one of my girls had 2 hard spots on the shell. Is this a calcium deposit? It was the same color as the shell, and fully attatched and part of the shell, but looked and felt like a small piece of grit. Any thoughts?

#5467 - 02/04/03 07:57 AM Re: Deposit on egg shell
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Jenifer, Just a glitch in the "shell gland", not to worry. Some hens will lay eggs like this regularly, just the way the shell was processed, or it may have been a one time thing with that hen. Over the years, if you have lots of eggs, you will see MANY variations in shells, but most will be normal. And each hen has her own pattern, shape, color, if you really look. (even store eggs in the box will have variations.) But unlike like snowflakes, many eggs will be identical to our eyes. CJR

#5468 - 02/04/03 08:44 AM Re: Deposit on egg shell
Aram Seattle Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Washington
That's definitely true. I have one hen whose eggs I like for their size, shape and color. Interstingly I have a hard time distinguishing between her eggs and her daughters' eggs now. They are very similar. I am afraid of inbreeding my flock, but I really want my hen to be the mother of all other hens I have. Her eggs just really look that good and she seems to pass it on very well too.

#5469 - 02/04/03 10:49 AM Re: Deposit on egg shell
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks, good to know. First time I saw this.
Yes, I can tell each of my pullet's eggs apart right away in most cases. Colors, sizes, and textures are all different..just slightly but different.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn