Topic Options
#55085 - 07/31/02 04:31 PM Dinner Time
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello all
When it comes to eating chickens,is there a certain bread that comes to mind, and if so why and where can I get some? :p and is Roo's and hens the same? or are the roo's tuffer confused

#55086 - 07/31/02 07:55 PM Re: Dinner Time
Anonymous
Unregistered

Cornish crosses comes to my mind, 8 weeks, big plump birds... you can butcher the hens at two pounds for some nice cornish game hens..

#55087 - 08/01/02 03:52 AM Re: Dinner Time
Big Boy Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Kansas
Cochima is right about those Rock-Cornish crosses. But you know what's funny? I have a brother-in-law that has some broiler barns and those birds are at up to 7#+ at 6 weeks! I feed our broilers the standard grower but they don't do THAT well. The problem with standard-breds is that it takes 3 months for me to get them up to size and then they don't have the flesh that the crosses do. But here again, the standards don't wolf down the food like the crosses (although the feed conversion rate is not the same).Our 'broilers' usually are the result of feeding out chicks that are being raised to provide next years breeders or the results of breeding experiments or unsold chicks.

#55088 - 08/01/02 07:21 AM Re: Dinner Time
Anonymous
Unregistered

You can't beat the Cornish Rock X for a meat bird. You have to watch that your feed is HIGH PROTEIN (24% or higher) and that you don't let them eat 24/7. Keep the feed in front of them for 12 hours, then pull it for 12. Keep water in there at all times. These birds grow very fast and sometimes their leg bones don't keep up with the rest of the body, and you end up with a bird that can't walk. To help prevent this, move the feed away from the heat lamp (and later -the coop)which will force them to walk / exercise to get food. I butcher up fryers at 6 to 7 weeks and get a nice 5lb. dressed bird. I let my roosters grow to 12 weeks and end up with an average weight of 8 1/2lbs with some dressing out as 10lb roasters! I have not noticed a difference in the quality of the meat between the sexes- but there is a difference in size. Good Luck.

#55089 - 08/01/02 07:29 AM Re: Dinner Time
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bumpkin, I forgot to mention that Murray McMurray still has some cornish x available!!
http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com

#55090 - 08/01/02 05:48 PM Re: Dinner Time
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks y all,
Great help and Cochima great site Thank you again. laugh

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Wieslaw