Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#55361 - 02/27/04 08:13 PM White leghorn or cornish cross?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have what I think might be a white leghorn, but it might be a cornish cross. I am wondering at what age a white leghorn would start laying. If it is cornish cross, what age will it lay. If it is a cornish cross, will I get any eggs off of it? To see pictures of the white chicken in question you can go to http://www.cyber-wizards.net/Chickens.htm I do not have any current pictures, but I might be able to get some up in the next day or two.

#55362 - 02/28/04 01:26 AM Re: White leghorn or cornish cross?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello. In my opinion it looks just like the cornish cross' that I use to have. Its comb is too small for a leghorn.

#55363 - 02/28/04 04:27 AM Re: White leghorn or cornish cross?
Chicken Man Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Canada
hi the white on is a meat king or white rock and cornish the body is to big for a leghorn she will probly lay at 6 to 8 months. One problem with the meat kings is the get to fat and have heart attack so try to keep her lean. hope it helps

#55364 - 02/28/04 04:51 AM Re: White leghorn or cornish cross?
Anonymous
Unregistered

How do I keep her lean? She seems to be one of the more dominate hens. I am feeding a 15% layer, as well as giving them scraps of fruit, bread and salad left overs. As I have said before she is about 27-28 weeks old, I have not seen any white eggs. Is that the color she would be laying? All my hens(1 RIR, 1 NHR, 1 Barred Rock, 1 Brown sex-link, 1 Red sex-link and 1 Silver Laced Wyndotte) have fairly red combs. I thought this was an indication of if they were laying or not, I usually get 5 eggs a day all brown eggs. I did get six yesterday, but again they were all brown eggs. Would it be better to just eat her? Or should I wait a month or two?

#55365 - 02/28/04 07:04 AM Re: White leghorn or cornish cross?
R. Okimoto Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Arkansas
You have to severly restrict the feed of broilers or they do not lay eggs very well. You may never get this hen to lay if she has been on full feed. You are lucky that she is even alive. Her diet must have been pretty poor and will probably reflect on the other hens that you have. If she had been on a decent layer for the last 10 weeks like she probably should have been she would likely be too fat and dead. If she is over 10-11 lbs she is probably a lost cause, but she may lay a few eggs if she gets enough exercise and you start reducing how much she eats. You can't do this in your mixed flock.

Her feed should have been restricted to try and keep her under 8 lbs and she should probably only be eating around 0.3 lbs of feed a day. It depends on her body weight and how much she needs to maintain it and lay an egg. Birds that aren't laying should get less feed. Broilers have to be carefully managed to get decent egg production.

#55366 - 02/28/04 08:27 AM Re: White leghorn or cornish cross?
Anonymous
Unregistered

When I got her back in October she had fallen off the chicken truck. I had her on starter and grower, then when she hit 18 weeks and becuase I thought she was a rooster I had her on scratch. When I got an companion chicken I had them both on the layer crumble, which I switched to pellets when they started wasting it. As far as I can tell she is in good health, I am guessing she weighs about 6-8 pounds, the rest of the flock look healthy as well. I have been getting 5-6 eggs a day from the flock, none from this chicken, but she goes into the nesting boxs and acts like she is trying to lay. I am not sure how to limit the food intake of this bird without having a separate pen for her, I built a feeder that they all eat out of and at the time I had eight birds, I had to cull one(another bird I got when it fell off the chicken truck)because it was having trouble walking(found out it had a broken back) I am fairly new to having chicken, but I have tried to research eveything I do before I do it.

#55367 - 02/28/04 04:40 PM Re: White leghorn or cornish cross?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I also think it is a cornish cross, but I think your she is a he.

#55368 - 02/28/04 06:12 PM Re: White leghorn or cornish cross?
Anonymous
Unregistered

If it is a he, when should it start crowing? I have noticed that it does the potision, without the feet stomping. Would a rooster do this if it thought I was the dominat one? I don't know when a rooster of this breed is supposed to crow? If it is a hen, when would it start laying? I guess I will wait a month or two and see what happens.

#55369 - 02/29/04 07:14 AM Re: White leghorn or cornish cross?
Spotted Crow Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Massachusetts
Cornish. Definitely. wink My Leghorns are small and delicate compared to your mystery baby.

#55370 - 02/29/04 07:31 PM Re: White leghorn or cornish cross?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Now that we know that it is a Cornish cross. How do we tell if it is a hen or a rooster? If it is a hen, when should I expect eggs? I am guessing that I should be looking for white eggs from this chicken? If it is a roo, why has it not started to crow yet? I don't want to wait to long before culling the bird, or it will be to tough for anything but the stew pot.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Wieslaw 
Who's Online
1 registered (John), 47 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box