Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#55926 - 02/01/04 10:44 AM Re: Duck pools
Anonymous
Unregistered

Debbgk, You have great ideas!! That's really a good point about the potential for pipe clogging. So, this sump pump idea - I have to go check it out. We have one in our basement, (which apparently isn't very good, since our basement has flooded twice!). Tell me, how do you use it? Do you pick it up and put it in the water whenever you want to drain, and how long does it take to drain the water out of say, a kiddie sized pond? I could get one of those fabric type hoses, (to save my back) and yes, I could move it all around to avoid soggy land. You should have seen me last summer, big "duck boots", mud, a zillion foot, old-fashioned heavy green hose, cuts on my hands from constantly hooking and unhooking in the breezeway, fencing as best I could with a hammer, staple gun and lots of sharp wires (!) (I must sound like such a wimp to all the farmers out there who brace the cold every day and tend to all their animals - I respect them so much!), but hey, if there's an easier way to get the job done - halleluiah!!

#55927 - 02/01/04 10:59 AM Re: Duck pools
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi deb & mare!

mare, I would simply fill it with the hose and then when need be I was going to drain it away from the pond underground (we have a naturally sloping yard) and then have it resurface where the ground would meet with the pipe naturally and, theoretically, hook up a spigot there with a hose and have it work on gravity to water the trees and shrubs. (I can understand your concern about mosquitos, fortunately that is not a problem where I am.) I could not use that much water and just dump it in the septic tank here as we are on our own well in drought plagued Southern California. We really have to watch our water use at times. I can justify the duckies water though if I re-use it to water the trees!

That said, deb, your point about the pipe getting clogged is a good one and gives me nightmares eek so your sump pump is sounding better all the time! laugh Is it heavy? Does it have to sit next to the pond or is it easy enough to lug from the garage to where you need it when you need it? As you can see this is a foreign creature to me... :rolleyes:

I'm going to look for and price one of those pond kits at Home Depot - if you have ever watched Ground Force you will understand why I have to grin when I say we have always wanted a "water feature" (British accent included) in our yard! laugh

And yes deb! I have been thinking of finding and old salvage bath tub to sink in the ground! If I see one I will grab it! laugh And yes, we too live where our neighbors can't see it anyway! I'd make it look nice though.

I'm on 7 1/2 acres in a rural area up high in the foothills above the Antelope Valley (at 4300 ft above sea level). Northern L.A. County. Pretty arid, but we have a semblence of 4 seasons at least because of our altitude. On a map the nearest city is Palmdale, but that is 20 miles away. Our closest town is very small, with one little market and a couple of gas stations, an antique store and a post office.

Being in the northeast, you guys definitely have 4 seasons in a big way!

Sorry this post is so long!!! :rolleyes: laugh

#55928 - 02/01/04 02:34 PM Re: Duck pools
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey, don't have many waterfowl at present (2 white chinese geese and a muscovy drake) but when I had many I had an 8 ft round stock tank buried on one side and open on the down hill side with a drain. Best thing I ever had. When it got dirty, just drain it and let the sediment dry, then take a flat shovel and scoop it out, then refill and watch the fun. In winter it required some serious ice chipping (never had a problem of birds getting froze in though) and if i'd known better I'd have gotten a stock heater... At the time I had it I had 2 embden, 2 chinese, 2 brown african, 4 toulouse, 2 runners, some misc. rouen, mallards, pekins, buffs, khakis and whatever I could basically get my hands on.... :p Now I use the 5 ft diam. kiddie pools (tougher ones from toys'r'us, more flexible too) and I use a stick or large board to smash one side into the pool to drain then hose out and scrub (with a toilet brush, for that purpose of course, works great!) if needed and refill. Surprisingly I have one pool that has gone through this weekly and lasted for 3 years!! With the birds I have now I don't need a ramp, but when I have female muscovy and mallard type ducks I butt a natural log against the side of the pool and they love to sit on it and preen. I usually keep 2 of these pools so that fighting is at a minimum and everyone is happy. I would like to go back to the stock tank idea though, but now I live in a totally different climate...N. California then, Central Florida now...and don't know if it would work the same...

#55929 - 02/01/04 02:50 PM Re: Duck pools
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Scooter, how deep was that stock tank? Sounds like a cool idea!

I keep hearing about people putting ramps and such next to their pools... I didn't think it was necessary, my ducks just flop in, but that natural log idea sounds great and my calls do have a tougher time managing the plunk into the pool! I think I'll go out to the wood pile and look for a thick log and try it out to see how they like it!

Thanks for piping in! smile

#55930 - 02/01/04 03:46 PM Re: Duck pools
Debgk Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Massachusetts
Quackers pond in her pen is a kiddie pool. Costs me $4.79 from Walmart -- whatabahhhgin!!

The once-fish, now-duck pond (the one with liner and pump that came in a kit) is in the yard. She likes to dunk in there when she's out and about (in warmer weather, when it's not FROZEN SOLID, ya know). She can go completely "bottoms-up" in it and she loves that -- she hunts from all sorts of nasty sludgey things off the bottom and seems to have herself a little party!

I keep the kiddie pool cleaner -- like Scooter with the toilet bowl brush and emptying and all that.

I use the sump pump to drain both of them when it's time. The kiddie pool take about 20 minutes to drain. the pump is relatively small -- about the size of ... ummm ... a 2 lb coffee can (if they make them that size ... I dunno ... I mostly just grind bags of beans ...). It's not heavy, either.

I just put the end of a cut off piece of garden hose on it, aim the other end of the hose wherever and plug it in (thru an extension cord). Quackers usually races over to the end that hte water is spurting out and has a wild time splashing in the water and mud that it makes! That's fun to watch, too!

Scooter, what is a "stock pond" (vs. the kiddie pool or the pond kit)??

Thanks for more ideas!

8?
deb

#55931 - 02/01/04 03:52 PM Re: Duck pools
Debgk Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Massachusetts
ps: ramps ....

I put a large rock along one edge of the kiddie pool (in the pool). There are also rocks on the ledges in the once-fish, now-duck pond (I beleive the technical name for that is "OFNDP" laugh )try saying that 5x fast ... or even just once!

Anyway, there have been times when Quackers was in teh kiddie pool without the rock to get out and she definitely had a harder time.

She also likes to sit on the rock and preen - like the logs that Scooter uses. There's also an overturned old planter that we had in the OFNDP for the fish to hide from racoons. She LOVES that!! It's in the middle of hte pond, and the top of it is only about 2" under water. She can sit there for hours and preen!

She seems to enjoy being "on" the water and doing her thing -- on the rock. ... or the planter ... or a log, I'm sure, if there was one handy!

8?
deb

#55932 - 02/01/04 04:35 PM Re: Duck pools
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey deb, great ideas! I will try the rock on the inside of the pool! Hadn't thought of that either!

Okay so I went and got a log, but it freaked out all the birds when I took it into the chicken yard (poultry yard?!)-like I was carrying an alien life form! Everyone went flapping and squawking helter skelter! laugh LOL! Guess you had to be there. I'd forgotten how freaked out they get if I carry anything large and strange in there, like the first time I went in there with a paper sack full of wood shavings - or my egg basket for that matter! I just looked out there and I think the ducks are still suspicous of the log...maybe tomorrow they will use it!

I have a cheap kiddie pool too, deb, (yes, a bahhhgin! laugh ) and I'm thinking that if I do a sunken pond I may do like you do and have it in the yard for them to enjoy when they are out of the pen. (OFNDP! laugh ) I like the over-turned planter in the middle idea too! I am getting so many good ideas from you guys - thanks! Isn't it you, mare, that has your ducks in a tub in the breezeway? That's when I first started thinking about bath tubs! I think my next step up from the kiddie pool will be one of the slightly more expensive ones with the plug in it - I'll just let it drain thataway and rinse and refill. I keep meaning to get a scrubbie too, for it is getting to where it needs that. And this summer...our duck pond "wata featcha" will be added! Somebody on here said that water is relaxing and soothing to watch and I agree!Although as deb said, with the ducks around it is more raucous than relaxing! laugh Now I can't wait til summer! (And we're due for snow next week!)

#55933 - 02/01/04 06:03 PM Re: Duck pools
Anonymous
Unregistered

You gals are so funny! Yes Gingit, Julia and Toon swim in the wash basin in the breezeway. Actually, their swimming is more just going around in a little circle. But, they do get to dive down for spinach. I put a flat rock in their kiddie pool too, Julia just likes to stand on it. I tried a bunch of different things for a ramp; they still preferred to hobble up over the rim of the pool. It gets scary right after they mate; Toon likes to hop out immediately afterwards; I'm always afraid he's going to castrate himself poolside.

#55934 - 02/01/04 07:02 PM Re: Duck pools
Anonymous
Unregistered

Stock tanks are what cows or other large critters use for drinking water. They are pretty deep but if dug into the ground would make a very good pool. Ducks CAN drown if they can't get out of the water. Esp for uncoordinated ducks like the Calls, a ramp is very important to ensure that they can get out. Yes, I have had two ducks drown. One dove through the hole in a cement block (don't use those in a pool for bantam ducks) and got stuck. The other apparently just couldn't figure out how to get out of the water on bricks that I learned to use after the first drowning. Now I make sure I teach them to get out. Unfortunately it seems that some lessons can only be learned the hard way.

#55935 - 02/02/04 12:28 PM Re: Duck pools
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi!, my name: sue, easier to type, went out on sunday and took digital pics of pond, but my labrador has been tricking me for last 2 days, with giving birth, been up for most of last 2 nights, if the brain can function I will try to work out getting the pics up, if anyone knows the easy way to do it please let me know, my concentration is at a minimum, and she has'nt had them yet. frown

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Wieslaw