Topic Options
#56057 - 03/05/05 09:32 AM Introducing Goslings
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi,
I have a pair of geese and my female currently has a nest of 14 but she hardly lays on them. every day she lays on them a little more. I have candled them and I am sure that she was not broody enough in the beginning and the eggs will not hatch. I still want goslings. Can I order some and set them in her nest to make her think that her eggs have hatched. Will she except them? I would appreciate your help, thank you

#56058 - 03/05/05 10:36 AM Re: Introducing Goslings
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Any broody bird must be on the nest NIGHT and DAY for several weeks before they can be expected to accept day old babies (eggs removed--sometimes it is good to leave one or two)that are slipped under the Goosie at night). And shipped goslings will not be day old and will not know about "mother-goose", so they require close observation to see that they meld with the mom, who likely won't understand why they do not respond to her right away. Doubt your Goosie is really broody yet--is she still laying?

#56059 - 03/07/05 03:02 PM Re: Introducing Goslings
Anonymous
Unregistered

well about 2 days ago I checked and she only had 14 like she has had for a week now but today i checked and she has 19 either my male is not a male or she has been very busy.

#56060 - 03/08/05 08:03 PM Re: Introducing Goslings
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well i guess she is still laying cuz today she has 20 eggs.

#56061 - 03/10/05 03:15 PM Re: Introducing Goslings
Anonymous
Unregistered

is it possible that when I saw them mate it was for domination? because I am wondering how she layed 5 eggs in 2 to 3 days

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Wieslaw