Topic Options
#56068 - 09/24/02 04:59 PM 1st eggs today
Rob Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Pennsylvania
4 of my 8 Ancona ducks produced their 1st eggs today.Kind of surprised me. They are a May 6 hatch.

#56069 - 09/24/02 07:53 PM Re: 1st eggs today
Anonymous
Unregistered

COOL!! SO DO YOU THINK MY PEKINS WILL GIVE ME EGGS SOON THEY WERE HATCHED RIGHT BEFORE MEMORIAL DAY? I THINK THEY ARE FEMALES I AM STILL NOT SURE. I JUST KNOW THEY SOUND THE SAME AND ONE IS SLIGHTLY BIGGER THAN THE OTHER BUT MY 4 YEAR OLD BROKE ITS FOOT WHEN IT WAS A COUPLE WEEKS OLD. WHAT AN ORDEAL TAKING IT TO THE VET, KEEPING A SLING ON HIM AND THEN DOING PHYSICAL THERAPY ON IT 4 TIMES A DAY TO GET IT'S FOOT BACK TO NORMAL...THAT NEVER HAPPENED IT WALKS ON IT LIKE IT IS A PEG LEG. ALWAYS GOOD TO HEAR ABOUT THE NEW EGGS!!! smile wink

#56070 - 09/25/02 03:28 AM Re: 1st eggs today
Big Boy Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Kansas
Rob, I have seen a number of posts about Ancona ducks. Are they mottled or how did they get their name and what are their origins?

#56071 - 09/25/02 07:29 AM Re: 1st eggs today
Rob Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Pennsylvania
It seems there is not a great deal of info available on the breed. They are piebald and were developed in England. About 5-7 lbs., and good egg producers. Even the legs, feet and bills should be spotted. Colors are black, blue, chocolate and silver, with no less than a fourth of the bird to be colored or white. They are considered to be rare, only in U.S. since about the late 70s. Mine are quite active and appear to be great foragers. There is no official standard yet but their popularity is growing, Ive probably got more sold than I will be able to produce next year. I could keep back more hens for breeding but really only have about three which are of excellent type and color. If you breed the ones with too much color, that is what you produce. Holderreads are the largest breeder and promoter.

#56072 - 10/05/02 07:15 AM Re: 1st eggs today
Anonymous
Unregistered

NEW COUNTRY BUMPKINS, YOU CAN TELL A MALE AND FEMALE DUCK FROM IT'S TAIL FEATHERS.A MALE DUCK'S TAIL FEATHER THE ONE FEATHER ON THE TOP WILL BE CURLED UP-WARDS AND A FEMALE WILL BE NORMAL.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Wieslaw