Topic Options
#56099 - 03/22/07 06:18 AM floating "island"
Anonymous
Unregistered

has anyone here tried using a floating island? i just got a pair of muscovies with 13 babies. i have the ducklings in a cage still but the adult pair had their wings clipped already so i turned them loose in my bayou. they havent left so i'm hoping they'll stick around. i was thinking of floating a pallet with a nest box on it and tying it to my dock so that i can pull it in whenever i need to. just wondering if anyone else on here has tried this.

#56100 - 03/22/07 01:13 PM Re: floating "island"
Anonymous
Unregistered

here are some pics of the new muscovies. the parents are not tame but i'm letting them free range and they can live like wild ducks right here at home. i hope to get the duckilings pretty tame before they're big enough to turn loose.

adult pair

drake

hen

13 duckilings, trying to fit in the corner

#56101 - 03/22/07 10:34 PM Re: floating "island"
Setsuyu Offline
Bantam

Loc: California
thats a good idea but would a pallet float? i think if you attach jugs filled with air in the pallet its would be 100xs better.

#56102 - 03/23/07 03:07 AM Re: floating "island"
Anonymous
Unregistered

well i'm gonna float it with some of those foam "noodles" for swimming pools. lol, sorry i forgot to mention that part.

#56103 - 03/24/07 11:12 AM Re: floating "island"
D. Roy Offline
Chicken

Loc: Louisiana
Most pallets aren't treated wood, and being in water will start to rot fairly quick.
I built a couple of rafts (2' x 4') for my pond, and when a couple of the larger ducks would climb on one, it would sink slightly, tilting in such a manner that they would abandon ship. Putting a "frame" of 3" PVC pipe under the rafts added flotation, and stability. I guess my next step will be to add some sort of sunshade as they don't go during the hotter time of day.

If you do choose to build something, I'd be careful about the deck spacing; My first raft deck was 1"x6" boards with a gap between boards. One of my Mallards caught her foot in the gap, causing an injury. (probably when I approached in a boat to free her.) Thankfully nothing permanent.
I then mounted the boards where there was no gap, and no more problems.

#56104 - 03/28/07 12:58 PM Re: floating "island"
Ray Offline
Feather

Loc: North Carolina
Our geese kekep losing their nests of eggs to possums on the land, so we're going to drive a post into the pond and mount a nest box on it and a ramp up to it. Our pond has a maximum depth so it wil never get flooded. It may be an option for you, too. And it's easy.
ray

#56105 - 04/03/07 01:48 PM Re: floating "island"
Ducks-n-Geese Offline
Chicken

go to www.dakotanestingstructures.com They have a floating island for 259.00 (something like that). I also found a link for plans for a floating pallet island... you treat the wood, turn it upside down and fill with mud and waterplants for cover. I think I googled it. I'll try to find the link later.

BTW, the new non-pinioned ducks will likely roost in the trees. They may not use the island anyway.

Jennifer (central Louisiana)

#56106 - 04/03/07 01:50 PM Re: floating "island"
Ducks-n-Geese Offline
Chicken

Forgot to mention that you may want to search my posts... I believe I may have made a post with links here somewhere...

I made floating tents... used the galvanized garden fencing from Home Depot and a camo tarp and lots of zip ties... lol.. and then cut pool floats and zip tied them to the bottom...

They ain't pretty but they work well and someone laid an egg it in.. but then I saw a snake in it at a later date... so down here.. you can't win for losing.....

#56107 - 04/04/07 06:38 AM Re: floating "island"
Anonymous
Unregistered

ducks-n-geese, where in central louisiana are you? here's my email, mgkgamest@aol.com

#56108 - 04/04/07 07:59 AM Re: floating "island"
Michael TX Offline
Chicken

Loc: Texas
Look at the products at this link: http://www.floatingislandinternational.com/index.htm

These can be planted for natural appearance and cover.

--Michael

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Wieslaw