Topic Options
#56412 - 08/06/02 11:33 AM Ducks and training a Aussie
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello there, I am new to this board and wanted to say hello. Tomorrow I will be receiving some duck in the mail. I will have some Indian runners, rouens and a few Pekings. We have a from here in Oregon and a part of that farm is my great Aussie, Buddy. I would like to use the ducks as part of his herding training as I learned that ducks will 'herd'. Do any of you have any suggestions for training a herding dog using ducks? I want to make sure that the ducks are not hurt. When and how would I introduce Buddy to our new ducks? Thanks for your input! :rolleyes:

#56413 - 08/06/02 12:25 PM Re: Ducks and training a Aussie
Aram Seattle Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Washington
All I know about herding, I learned from sheep keeper's book I checked out of the library. That was my pleasure reading before chicken literature. smile So do take it with a grain of salt. Anyway, in tha book they said that you need to introduce herding puppy to sheep right away, so that it considers sheep part of it's family. I hope your dog is not an adult yet, otherwise it might consider ducks a tasty walking snack. smile

#56414 - 08/06/02 01:52 PM Re: Ducks and training a Aussie
Oatman99 Offline
Bantam

Loc: Wisconsin
I had an idea like yours when I got my border collie (Aiden). (that's how I got started into ducks) It didn't go so well, though--my dog just terrorized them and bothered them so much they flew away. After that, he got the idea that everything was his to chase, and killed and ate a couple of my roosters. An incredibly nasty rooster solved the problem, but just the other day he had one of my speckled sussex hens--chewing on her wing. Luckily she wasn't hurt, just scared. Maybe it's just my dog, but I think if you want to train your dog to herd, get some sheep. Ducks are reguarded as "playthings" and are not largely respected by dogs.

Oatman_99

#56415 - 08/06/02 11:53 PM Re: Ducks and training a Aussie
Karen Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: California
I've owned Aussies since the mid 70's. I never "trained' our aussies to herd anything, but they did just fine on their own.

A lot depends on what kind of aussie you have. Mine were from old time stock dog lines and they instinctively knew what to do. I was always afraid they might hurt our dairy goats, but they never did.

Aussies have become very popular in the last few years and this has been a mixed blessing.

There are two commands a dog Must learn before it is tried out on livestock of any kind.

1. It Must come on command
2. It Must down and stay on command

Also the dogs should not be left unsupervised with unprotected stock untill you are sure the dog won't hurt it.

#56416 - 08/06/02 11:55 PM Re: Ducks and training a Aussie
Karen Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: California
I've owned Aussies since the mid 70's. I never "trained' our aussies to herd anything, but they did just fine on their own.

A lot depends on what kind of aussie you have. Mine were from old time stock dog lines and they instinctively knew what to do. I was always afraid they might hurt our dairy goats, but they never did.

Aussies have become very popular in the last few years and this has been a mixed blessing.

There are two commands a dog Must learn before it is tried out on livestock of any kind.

1. It Must come on command
2. It Must down and stay on command

Also the dogs should not be left unsupervised with unprotected stock untill you are sure the dog won't hurt it.

#56417 - 08/07/02 12:34 PM Re: Ducks and training a Aussie
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you for the replies. My dog has been raised around chickens and goats and does very well . Neither chickens nor goats have the herding tendencies. We do not want sheep at this time. So the alternative is some ducks. I have - since I posted this - looked on the web and found some interesting 'ducks and herding' sites. they were pretty informative.
Buddy, my dog has been to obediance school and did learn the basics and is a pretty well behaved dog. He can down and stay from a distance and he has a lot of instinct!!
I got the ducks today and they are quite cute. They have a very secure and warm place in our renovated hog pen. I let Buddy smell their box and boy was he interested! After the ducks had a few hours to adapt and drink and eat I let Buddy sit outside their pen to watch. He was 'glued' to them like a kid to Nintendo! That's as close as he will get to them for a long while.
Thanks for the advice everyone!

#56418 - 08/07/02 02:58 PM Re: Ducks and training a Aussie
Anonymous
Unregistered

In regard to training. I agree your dog must come and "down" or stay it is at that time you can then start working "come by" and "away." When you are finished it needs to know what "That will do" means. Yes you need to keep the dog under supervision. A friend who trained his used only one chicken and had it tied and staked and just commanded the dog around it. Thankfully Aussies have usually a good temperment for working poultry.
Tim

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Wieslaw