Topic Options
#56656 - 02/17/05 02:16 PM Questions for duckboy
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Pennsylvania
If I add the Bl gene to a Rouen or a saxony, via blue swede will the bib be very difficult to breed out?or is it gonna ve a lingering problem?
I am also thinking of addinf the bib to rouen via black swede, what might I run into in that breeding?

#56657 - 02/18/05 07:41 AM Re: Questions for duckboy
Duck Boy Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Canada
Sorry, if anyone has been trying to email me the last 4-5 days, but the internet and email weren't working in my area. Everything is back to good now so if you have any questions feel free to email me.
I'm assuming since you are adding the blue gene to the Grey Rouen colour, that you are trying to get Blue Fawn Rouens.(You can't add the blue gene to the Saxony colour because it already has 2 blue genes) To start, when you cross Grey Rouen and Blue Swede all the offsping(we will call these "G1" for the first generation) will look like Blue Swede and Black Swede. However these "G1"Swedes will only have 1 extended black gene and 1 bib gene. If you breed these "G1"Blue Swedes together you could get birds(call these "G2") coloured like Black Swede, Blue Swede, Silver Swede, Solid Black, Solid Blue, Solid Silver, Grey, Blue Fawn, Pastel, Bibbed Grey, Bibbed Blue Fawn and Bibbed Pastel. If you breed the "G1"Black Swedes together you could get birds(call these "G2") coloured like Black Swede, Solid Black, Grey and Bibbed Grey. Keep in mind that all these "G2" birds are not nessesarily pure. You may get some that are pure but the majority will only have 1 bib gene or 1 extended black gene. The only "G2"s that will breed true from this stage, are the Grey, Blue Fawn and Pastel coloured birds. Since you are trying to get Bibbed Rouens, all you would do is select the "G2" Bibbed Rouens and breed them togther. The Bib gene is incompletly dominant so it will show itself when it is present. The only problem that you may have when creating the bibbed Rouens is that you cannot tell wich birds are homozygous and wich are heterozygous for the bib gene, so it may take awhile to get a flock of pure breeding Bibbed Rouens. In conclusion, if you are trying to get Blue Fawn Rouens it is probably cheaper to just buy them rather than breeding and raising them. As for the Bibbed Rouens, the method above will work but, I would cross Grey Rouens and Black Swede and then breed the "lookalike" Black Swede offspring back to Grey Rouens. This set of offspring will be 25%Bibbed Black, 25%Solid Black, 25%Grey and 25%Bibbed Grey. These Bibbed Rouens will be heterozygous for the Bib gene so you will have the same problems when breeding them as the first method. I hope this clears it up, if not, post or email me your questions and I'll try and answer them more clearly.

#56658 - 02/18/05 08:19 AM Re: Questions for duckboy
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

Thankyou, that all helps to enforce some of how I had figured things. + some I had wrong. I guess I knew saxonies had Bl and li. I wasnt sure how the incompletely dom bib would work.
Not sure where I am going w/ all of this, I cant get too many irons in the fire. waterfowl seem easier to manage along with ny other work?

#56659 - 02/18/05 08:21 AM Re: Questions for duckboy
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

I just happened upon a Canadian site where they are working on a Chinook duck; appears to be a cross bred Ancona, Kahki, saxony with Ancona type to be a more hardy cold weather egger.

#56660 - 02/20/05 05:57 AM Re: Questions for duckboy
Duck Boy Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Canada
Yes, I have seen this site. I emailed the creater of the breed. She also used Appleyard in the crossings.

P.S. rob or anyone else, I have came across a European website that has info. on all kinds of domestic European birds(ducks, chickens, turkey, etc.)Here it is http://dad.fao.org/cgi-dad/$640_dad.dll/selsimp . When you get here don't touch any fields except the species field to pick what kind of bird you want to look for then click the "submit" button. Just thought you might be interested.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Wieslaw