Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#56820 - 07/22/02 06:59 AM Twisted Wing
Oatman99 Offline
Bantam

Loc: Wisconsin
Hello ya'll.

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with this one. I remember reading something about this on the old coop message board, but with no archives, I am in need of information. Well to start off, I went on a 2 week vacation, and when I came back (yesterday), I noticed that one of my 8 1-month-old call ducklings has a twisted wing. It sticks straight out from where the primaries are just starting to come in (the tip of the wing to where it bends) and wobbles around when she walks. On close examination, it doesn't seem to be broken, and can be folded in the normal position. It is not swollen, tender, or cause any pain to the duck when moved around. When I left, all the ducklings were fine, but this happened within the 2 week span when I was gone. I heard this might be genetic, but neither of the parents have this nor in any previous hatches did I experience any wing problems. The parents are from 2 non-related strains (Pete Dempsey's & Lou Horton's). So my question is: What is this? Secondly: What causes it? (is it genetic?)And lastly: What can I do about it? Thanks in advance for your help.

Oatman_99

#56821 - 07/22/02 09:19 AM Re: Twisted Wing
D. Caveny Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Arizona
Twisted Wing or "Angel Wing" is probably associated with excess nutrition as answered with comments from Metzer Farms. Go to www.metzerfarms.com and look up Angel Wings.

#56822 - 07/22/02 01:25 PM Re: Twisted Wing
Oatman99 Offline
Bantam

Thanks very much for your reply. I did find the information needed, and "angel wing" seems like the most likely ailment. I am surprised that no one else got this. It says that is affects males more often and she's a female (is starting to quack). It is only her left wing that's affected (wonder why that is), and it says it affects only the left or both... I am going to make a sling and see if it will go back to normal. Any input on how to do this will be greatly appreciated smile , as I have no idea on how to keep it on (they're a wild bunch). Also does anyone know how long to keep it on? Thanks again in advance.

Oatman_99

#56823 - 07/22/02 05:28 PM Re: Twisted Wing
Rob Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Pennsylvania
Use DUCK tape. I saw a duck with this done but did not really look that close. I believe the wing was wrapped with the duct tape about 3-4 wraps. Ive also seen it somewhere on the internet, but you will have to search for it.

#56824 - 07/23/02 05:48 AM Re: Twisted Wing
Oatman99 Offline
Bantam

Rob--

I did use "duck" tape (and I came on here to tell what I did in case someone else encountered this problem). I took a 2 foot long piece and wrapped it around the feathers of the wing so it looked like the other one. She is doing fine--a little off balance, but is acting normal. Now all I'm worried about is how I'm going to get it off of her laugh ... Thanks for your input.

Oatman_99

#56825 - 07/26/02 07:25 PM Re: Twisted Wing
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you use "duck" tape on your duck, wouldn't that pluck the duck?

#56826 - 07/26/02 07:36 PM Re: Twisted Wing
Anonymous
Unregistered

Actually you can try coat hangers. This is an old trick that was shown to my uncle back in Vietnam. Take 2 coat hangers, staightened and then cut half way. Fold both at perfect 90 degrees and space apart one close to the wing tip and the other close to the wing "pit" if you will.It's important to keep the wing elevated. Anchor the other two ends to the ducks body either by velcro straps, "duck" tape, or by manually piercing the ducks body. Get a firm grip if you do it by piercing the ducks body they tend to holler and kick. I would'nt do it this way personally but, it's the way they do things in Nam

#56827 - 07/27/02 01:41 PM Re: Twisted Wing
Rob Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Trust me on this, they do alot of strange things there.

#56828 - 07/27/02 04:37 PM Re: Twisted Wing
Oatman99 Offline
Bantam

Thanks for all of your replies.

I took the duck tape off of the duck yesterday (cut the feathers as I carefully pealed it off). It's a lot better than it was, but still sticks out a bit. At least it doesn't flop around and look like a broken wing. At first, I thought her wing had become paralized because when she flapped it, it looked like it still was in the duck tape wrapping, but after a few hours, it looked like normal when stretched out. I think what would've been a lot better is that leg wrap for horses. (My sister shows them and uses that stuff quite frequently). It's elasticy and only sticks to itself. Therefore it would be easier to take off and would allow me to periotically check on how the wing is doing. I'll have to try that next time... Thanks again for all your ideas.

Oatman_99

#56829 - 07/27/02 08:27 PM Re: Twisted Wing
Graciel Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: New York
Don't be afraid to tape the wing longer than you have, Oatman. Sometimes it takes awhile to really reinforce the new directed growth. BTW, I had a bantam duck with a slipped wing last year which due to time pressures I never got around to taping. After this spring's molt I'm seeing a normal wing again. Had always thought before it was a permanent condition once the duck matured, but apparently not always. Maybe this drake of mine was just lucky. smile Hope your hen keeps improving.

Jennifer

#56830 - 07/28/02 05:46 PM Re: Twisted Wing
Rob Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Just read Holderreads book of geese. Leave the wrap om 10-14 daye, can be put back on if needed.

#56831 - 07/28/02 08:20 PM Re: Twisted Wing
Oatman99 Offline
Bantam

Thanks guys. I will put the wrapping back on first thing tomorrow (it's about 10 pm here). I didn't know how long to keep it on, and didn't want to hurt her leaving it on too long. I was hoping someone would lead me in the right direcion (or I'd have access to the archives). I need to invest in a poultry book soon... My 16th birthday is 2 weeks away, so I'll put my parents up to the task...forget the car! laugh

Oatman_99

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Wieslaw