The goose, BG, is a 5 and 1/2 year old toulouse gander. I have one other goose of the same age and sex, but he is a dewlap toulouse. They have separate sleeping quarters from, but share the large yard with 14 ducks.

Last Wednesday I noticed BG was not interested in the winter treats of greens and tangerines. Normally, I can't walk out the door without him begging for these. His feces were quite loose and had a green tint. He vomited water. The next day, as he walked across the yard toward me, I observed that he appeared thin. He looked like he didn't feel good, so I took him to an avian vet - without any resistance on his part.

He only weighed 11.2 pounds; an x-ray showed "distended bowel loops"; he vomited water 3 times; and a fecal exam showed round worms. The vet suggested a barium x-ray might show more detail of whatever might be causing the apparent intestinal problem, but we held off. She sent me home with 2 doses of Strongid to be given 2 weeks apart. She also wanted me to keep him separate from the others so I could see exactly what and how much he ate. I did not do this, as his buddy gets absolutely frantic when he can't see his friend. I did give him the wormer.

(Upon returning home, I found a duck bleeding heavily from losing a claw on the back of one leg. During a trip to my regular vet to have the wound cauterized, a fecal sample from the duck was negative for worms. All the other birds appear fine.)

BG's appetite improved the past few days, and I saw him eat regular feed pellets, some cracked corn, and treats. Today he seems to have lost his appetite again, and he looks like he doesn't feel good at all. Considering last week's vet bills came to almost $300.00, what should I do now? I am thinking we need to do the barium series of x-rays, but wonder if anyone has any ideas as to what else besides worms might be causing his illness. Do worms cause these problems/symptoms?