Topic Options
#57233 - 09/03/02 06:47 AM Pekins as broody ducks
Bruce Smith Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Michigan
Has anyone had any luck with Pekins hatching their own eggs? I have a hen who is trying
it, but in the past others have usually failed. Since they are such good layers, it seems a
shame that they aren't better at hatching. This hen started setting, then seemed to quit
for a few days, then started in again. She started with 16 eggs and is now down to 9. Any
cause for hope in anyone's experience?

#57234 - 09/03/02 07:17 AM Re: Pekins as broody ducks
Oakie Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Oklahoma
Hi, I have never had a lot of luck with pekins setting? I am not sure why but they never seem to do a great job. I did a bit of research and purchased some muscovies who I have set on my pekin eggs and have been getting great results. I would also be interested in finding out why pekins don ot set well? :p

#57235 - 09/03/02 07:27 AM Re: Pekins as broody ducks
Big Boy Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Kansas
My Pekins tend to be like 'Jemima PuddleDuck' so I put the eggs in the incubator or under a cluck and leave a few for them to hatch out. I sometimes wonder if the broodiness issues in some of these fowl are due to commercial hatcheries breeding away from (deliberately or incidentally) broodiness so as to increase egg production? The ones that do set and hatch make decent mothers but most don't seem to want to set more than a few days before they 'get tired of the whole matter' and leave the nest. We have been trying to select replacement breeders from those ducks that do set and hatch and it seems like we are making headway (no, we ARE making headway: I checked and better than half our females will set and hatch now whereas ony two of the original 17 hen-ducks would). Maybe exhibition-derived stock would do better?

#57236 - 09/03/02 07:34 AM Re: Pekins as broody ducks
Big Boy Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Kansas
Buckmaster, just missed your reply! My wife made me get rid of my Muscovies. She said that they were ugly and hissed instead of quacking and she wanted some 'real' ducks. I prefer Muscovies for meat and their more interesting behaviour. They make wonderful mothers (I think that I am going to go back and get a few from the folk to whom I sold them and see if I can sneak them back into the barnyard wink ).

#57237 - 09/03/02 07:54 AM Re: Pekins as broody ducks
Oakie Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Oklahoma
Yeah muscovies are a very interesting duck. I have pekins and khaki campbells as well. I like the whisper of a muscovey. All I know is that my muscovies are much smarter than my other ducks. The do make great mothers and are very gentle -- unless you try and wrangle up their babies. My daughter learned that the hard way. My drakes keep to themselves and usually ignore everything that comes there way -- except for my dog whom they dont like around. As to them being ugly -- they are! Especially the drakes but they have such great mannerisms that they are fun to have around. laugh

#57238 - 09/03/02 02:03 PM Re: Pekins as broody ducks
Rob Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Pennsylvania
I too am a fan of the Muscovy. I have Anconas now but when I find some good covies, there mine! I had some mule ducks last year and I liked them too. But they got into something and died. I believe it was the garden pool which was treated for algae. I actually like the non show birds better as the caruncles arent as profuse. Story: when I was small (4-5) my dad raised some covies. As they hatched, I took them to the hog pens and, well, ? My dad never knew what happened till I told him what I did. And I never turned into a mass murderer, or Sadist.

#57239 - 09/04/02 02:52 PM Re: Pekins as broody ducks
Oatman99 Offline
Bantam

Loc: Wisconsin
Dr. Bruce:

It must be a duck thing to not sit on eggs for very long. My calls also "get bored" and leave the nest after a couple weeks. Once, on a visit to Lou Horton's web page (acorn hollow bantams), he mentioned this being a typical trait for calls. The same must also be the same for pekins. In past experiences, having the ducks in a somewhat dark, secluded spot helps, so they aren't tempted to run with the others. If she still doesn't get into "the mode", there isn't much you can do about it except perhaps get a surrogate mother or an incubator. Hope this helps.

Oatman_99

#57240 - 09/04/02 06:27 PM Re: Pekins as broody ducks
Rob Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Pennsylvania
Bumkin, dont pull any feathers, they will be ok. Make sure they have water that is deep enough to submerge the head totally so they can clean their nostrils. Ducks suffer if they cant do this often. If they are May hatch, they are not mature yet. The males will eventually have a feather curl up on the tail, but the eaSIEST WAY TO SEX IS VOICE. The hens quack loud, the drakes quack is much lower toned. It is easy to tell the diff. If they all sound the same, probably all same sex.

#57241 - 09/05/02 06:22 AM Re: Pekins as broody ducks
Bruce Smith Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Michigan
Yesterday the eggs got cold and Penelope spent most of the day acting honked off around the barnyard. I pulled the nest last night and will toss the remaining 8 eggs. It wasn't too pleasant in there! Thanks for everyone's advice. Much appreciated.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Wieslaw