Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#57734 - 02/28/05 06:40 AM Re: good bye deep litter system
Anonymous
Unregistered

Maybe someone has looked into this, I couldn't be the first to wonder about it.

DUST and DECOMPOSITION GASES from deep litter systems - their effect on the ducks growth, gain and overall health. It's obviously not their natural environment.

...then on the other hand, if your raising wood ducks ... why didn't they name them mud ducks? Don't ducks just love drilling in MUD like a dentist?! smile Mud Ducks, that's what they oughta be called.

How many times have you seen some duck aerating the front lawn where you KNOW their isn't even the slightest hope of ever finding anything edible? To the casual observer, the lawn looks like a colony of gophers moved in! Holes with mud mounds everywhere - eek like giant ant hills!

Turkeys & Chickens dig and scratch through sawdust, hay piles, compost piles, just about anything they can loosen up.

It could be... the first oil drill was envisioned by some bored engineer watching a duck drilling into his front yard. :p

#57735 - 02/28/05 07:18 AM Re: good bye deep litter system
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Pennsylvania
I used to think those ducks were just drilling out of habit but they are actually getting the grubs of the Jap beetle and other bugs, they also seem to be eating roots much like they do when in the water. The 1st oil well in the U.S.A. was drilled in Titusville,Pa. just East of me by a man named DRAKE, his peers thought he was an odd duck for wanting to drill for oil but look what he started. Of course now there are Drake families everywgere and Draketown and Drakes Mills and Drakes Wells. There are many waterfowl in the vicinity, maybe old man Drake got the idea from observing the ducks drilling the muck??

#57736 - 02/28/05 11:51 AM Re: good bye deep litter system
Anonymous
Unregistered

... and the first person to name the bird we commonly call "Duck" was routinely dive-bombed...? Rather than get nailed in the head with a juicy-duck-bomb, she yelled, " DUCK!!! " and so, the name stuck.

Hey, Rob, I just read you can sex Duck eggs with 50% accuracy!

(thank God, spring is just around the corner, this cabin fever is getting out of hand)

#57737 - 02/28/05 01:13 PM Re: good bye deep litter system
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Pennsylvania
One day when looking into the sky, bird poo fell into my eye! I was not mad and I was not sad, BUT, I sure was glad that cows dont fly!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Wieslaw