Topic Options
#57872 - 06/19/04 07:56 AM Any Idea what these are?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi,
I bought some mixed eggs off a guy a while back, i was told they included khaki cambells runners and "black coys" which after research we thought were "black calls"... i am in the middle of the hatch now and i have 11 out. 10 are the black coys/calls and 1 is a pekin (that i wasnt expecting!)
Its the black coys/calls i need help with.. 9 are black with yellow bibs and one is light browny with a yellow bib.
I am new to hatching ducks and have no clue if they are calls or not. could anyone help me identify them?

I'll get better pics asap

#57873 - 06/19/04 08:17 AM Re: Any Idea what these are?
Anonymous
Unregistered

oh, just an update on the hatch: i have 100% on the "black call" hatch!i have 1 apricot-looking duckling, 1 black&white, and 10 black with yellow bibs. my first ever duck hatch laugh My next batch are pipping now...

#57874 - 06/19/04 04:55 PM Re: Any Idea what these are?
Anonymous
Unregistered

TRy www.feathersite.com for help they have pics of adults and babies. I think the 10 that are black with yellow bibs are swedish black/blue ducks check it out,

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/Ducks/Swedes/BRKSwedes.html

#57875 - 06/20/04 03:46 AM Re: Any Idea what these are?
Anonymous
Unregistered

thanks, i checked out that page and i dont think its them. Its the bill and legs - mine have pure black, the blue swedish have mixed colour bills and feet. also mine are a really dark black - those are more grey/blue - ish.

Do they look ANYTHING like calls? i was told they were black calls... and i have never had call ducklings before, but i dont think they are confused black bibbed something?
I've searched through feathersite and the only thing they look remotely like are BEI

#57876 - 06/21/04 08:06 AM Re: Any Idea what these are?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Calls are small ducks so did they come out of smaller eggs and are they smaller then the pekin?

#57877 - 06/21/04 08:48 PM Re: Any Idea what these are?
Anonymous
Unregistered

If these are indeed call ducks, then the bills are way too long and too narrow. Go to www.downtownducks.faithweb.com
they raise black bibbed calls. You will be able to see photos of adult bibbed calls.

We raise the grey, white and crested white calls. You did not mention how large the eggs are they these guys are hatching out of. Call ducks are bantams and lay small eggs.

~Patty~

#57878 - 06/22/04 07:31 AM Re: Any Idea what these are?
Oakie Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Oklahoma
Hi Jen,
I had a Khaki Campbell and Blue Swedes and they mated and your babies look alot loke there offspring did. I would say some sort of a Khaki Campbell mix.

#57879 - 06/22/04 12:37 PM Re: Any Idea what these are?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks everyone,
Yes they came out of bantam eggs. I have been told (by a reputable breeder) that the black bibbed ones are B.E.Indies - she said that they often have bibs as day olds and that the fact that their feet and bills are pure black indicates that they are probably not of a cross or calls because most calls either have orange feet, or black but with patches of orange/yellow.

#57880 - 06/23/04 01:16 PM Re: Any Idea what these are?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was going to just say that they sure look like a east indie. I think you will like your east indies. I sure love my one little hen and I used to have more before a coyote got them frown .

GoldenWood Farm

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Wieslaw