Topic Options
#58223 - 02/28/05 07:36 PM Ducklings and Goslings Housed Together??
Anonymous
Unregistered

Greetings! This is my first post on this board, although I've been around reading for a while. We are only a few days away from our newest endeavor - ducks and geese! We've raised chickens for years now, but the girls (ages 9 and 11) wanted to add ducks to our repertoire this year and I'd been reading that duck eggs are highly nutritious. So, off to duck-land we go! We are also getting a pair of geese with the HOPES that we will be able to socialize them to protect the children and our property - guard geese!
Now for a few questions...when the ducklings and goslings are babies, can they be brooded together and eat the same foods? (I can't seem to find an answer to this question in print although it seems such a common type of question!) If so, can this be continued throughout their lifetime (do I need separate pens for the ducks and geese?)?? In regards to socializing the geese...we know that goslings will "imprint" on the first thing they see. BUT, after those first few moments (or even a few days), will goslings imprint AGAIN on persons that constantly care for them? We plan for the girls to raise the goslings in their bedroom for as long as is feasible so that the goslings will see the children as their family and be protective of them. Can anyone offer advice on how to produce "guard geese" that will be friendly within reason? Also, we read that geese will eat/scare off snakes. The girls almost stepped on a rattlesnake in the backyard last year...will geese do battle with large snakes like rattlesnakes?
These are all the questions for the moment. I'm sure I'll have more once we get the little ones here at home!
Thanks!
Bri

#58224 - 03/01/05 08:06 AM Re: Ducklings and Goslings Housed Together??
Duck Boy Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Canada
I have raised ducklings and gooslings together but you have to be careful that the goslings do not trample the ducklings once they become bigger than the ducklings. I raise 60+ breeds of waterfowl and feed my ducks and geese the same thing. However geese like alot of greens(dandelions, grass, etc.) so giving them this is good in promoting good growth and cuts down on feed alittle. You can raise ducks and geese together but agian be careful that your geese arn't trampleing or attacking your ducks(some geese get along fine with ducks while others won't). Yes the goslings will become comfortable with people who arn't the first they see. I have found imprinting isn't totaly about who they see or hear first but who they spend the most time with. Your geese may or may not be protective of your kids its sort of a personallity thing. I have had geese kill snakes before but I don't think it was a protection thing, more of a curiosity thing. Also a rattle snake being piosonous I think would probably kill a goose if attacked by one(I'm not sure about this though since I don't have poisonous snakes around my area.
I hope I have covered and answered all your questions, if I haven't I'm sure that someone else hear will. People hear give out good tips.

#58225 - 03/01/05 12:22 PM Re: Ducklings and Goslings Housed Together??
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Pennsylvania
Counting on geese for protection is a mistake, they will be of some benefit to make noise when strangers come near. It is best to not hand feed geese as they can become very protective as adults with young goslings. Some will argue that point and I would have before I knew better. An adult gander can harm children. Ducks and geese can eat the same feed, diets for the young is availavle many places on the web. As does Duckboy, I raise my waterfowl together with no problems but they have plenty of space.
I have seen geese do in a small snake but they seem to leave the larger ones, I doubt they would mess with a rattler!
I would say a single goose would make a better pet than a pair, I assume this from some experience and years of tending animals of all sorts.

#58226 - 03/01/05 04:03 PM Re: Ducklings and Goslings Housed Together??
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello Duckboy and Rob! A quick reply..... We plan to get our geese a week later than the ducks with the hopes that the ducks will have a bit of growth time on them to prevent "trampling incidents". Logically, one would assume that this would prevent problems...but with livestock you never know. We'll see.
So, even if we socialize the geese with the family, there's no guarantee that they will be friendly??? Are there breeds that are more likely to be friendly? I think I read on here somewhere that Embdens are most friendly? That's what we're going to try to get...I HOPE. (The feed store will get in a standard run so I'm gonna have to trust intuition to pick out what I'm looking for.)
Hmmmm...so the geese are more likely to get rid of garters than rattlers. In wanting "guard geese" we're basically wanting something to make noise...the real protection comes in the form of the second amendment!
Rob, I'm curious why a single goose would make a better pet than a pair...can you elaborate? My assumption was that since geese bond for life, they would want a mate so I thought I'd do everyone a favor and get a pair. Are my assumptions incorrect? We can just as easily get a single goose...it doesn't matter how many we have as long as there's something in the yard that will raise a ruckus when the neighbor kids are trespassing. (Our dog is deaf now...she doesn't make good guard dog material anymore. Poor thing.)
Thanks again!
Bri

#58227 - 03/01/05 04:40 PM Re: Ducklings and Goslings Housed Together??
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Pennsylvania
Aye, its the 2nd Amendment in this neck of the woods too!
My take on the goose issue is: a single goose will accept you as family, when you add another you have become the 2ndary family and less important to his/her world. They will also choose ducks over you. Experienced geese folks will tell youthat breed has little to do with agression, its more family related and how they are managed.A female would probably make a better pet and a lone goose can fare just fine, they dont HAVE to have a mate. Domestic geese can mate for life but they are not like the wild geese and are easily divorced from mates and remated.They will also breed in groups of 1 male to 2-3-4 females.
I will say that the calmest geese I have had are the American Buffs and the Pilgrims were good too; the nastiest were the gray farm geese and the noisiest were the Chinas. I have never had the large Toulouse but with their huge size they gotta be pretty laid back?

#58228 - 03/02/05 11:43 AM Re: Ducklings and Goslings Housed Together??
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks Rob! I'll do some research on the American Buffs and Pilgrims to see if I can recognize what the hatchlings look like when I go to pick some out at the Feed Store. I'm seriously considering getting a lone goose now...although I do have faith that my girls can successfully socialize anything short of Charley Manson. They're both so good with animals. Thanks again!
Bri

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Wieslaw