Topic Options
#58354 - 07/17/02 06:44 PM Duck Color Genetics
D. Caveny Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Arizona
Someone was wanting to know about duck color genetics. The definitive paper was written by F.M. Lancaster (from England)The Inheritance of Plumage Color in the Common Duck (Anas Platyrhynchos linne). Bibliographia Genetica XIX (1963):317-404. Sections are: I. Multiple Allelomorphs in the .. restricted, mallard dusky, dark phase, light phase, harlequin; II. Sex-linkage and the inheritance of dilution factors .. blue, brown and buff dilution; III The inheritance of White and White markings .. white in the wild pattern, Dominant bib (S), Recessive Bib (b), White Primaries (w), the runner factor (R), other forms of white spotting and the inheritance of self-white plummage. There are also summaries, tables and photographs of the various traits. Lancaster wrote some subsequent papers but this is the alpha to omega on duck color genetics. If you live near a Land Grant University a trip to the library there will be well worth it. Xerox "the book" because it is truly a great reference and to my knowledge the ONLY real book on duck color genetics. I do not know of a good reference on the Muscovy (Carina moschata).

#58355 - 07/19/02 10:50 AM Re: Duck Color Genetics
Loren Hadley Offline
Chick

Loc: Oregon
The new (2001) edition of Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks by Dave Holderread contains a new chapter (43 or so pages) on color genetics in ducks - 10 of those pages cover Muscovy color genetics. Another chapter covers hybridization and genetics. Provides a good overview.

#58356 - 07/19/02 07:06 PM Re: Duck Color Genetics
Rob Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Pennsylvania
I have the duck book and recently ordered the goose book. I use them in conjunction with LEEs genetic site which is, way good man! HEY< WHERE IS LEE?

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Wieslaw