Topic Options
#58609 - 03/07/05 10:58 AM my ducks are making funny noises
Anonymous
Unregistered

hello clanger here,
should my female duck be making noises... like crooacacac ,and other strange noises.also i noticed on the ducks feet it has ``toe nails´´ about an inch long, is it necessary to cut them or anything,,,

please help
clanger

#58610 - 03/07/05 05:44 PM Re: my ducks are making funny noises
Ducks in a Row Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Pennsylvania
My hens do the same thing...it seems to be more when they are excited about something or talking to each other when they are running around the yard. The other day I heard them making those noises in a "chattering" kind of fashion inside their shed before I opened the door to let them out in the morning...it's pretty entertaining to hear them communicate.
Also, I would not cut toenails. If they have access to the outdoors they should wear down naturally when they run around. Similar to cats, there are veins in the toenails and you can cause bleeding if you cut them too close...some people may tell you to try it...but I certainly would not recommend it.

#58611 - 03/07/05 06:48 PM Re: my ducks are making funny noises
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Pennsylvania
Its mating season!!! they make some different purring sounds.
You actually should keep nails trimmed. They dont always get worn down, long nails can become troublesome in a couple ways, getting caught and tearing loose, bad for breeding males to have long nails and as they can tear up the females backs.same for chickens

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Wieslaw