Topic Options
#59052 - 11/10/04 09:23 AM Fraidy Cats - er ducks & sand
Anonymous
Unregistered

We had super weather over the weekend and we winterized the duckpen. Got all 47 billion leaves out of the bird netting, laid down 200 lbs.of sand and 20 patio bricks. Filled mudholes with sand and laid creek rocks over them. (We're STILL killing mosquitos here - I think it's those mudholes!) Got some deer block for top of pen.

Today - woke up, the freeze is here! Broke their waterer and pool open with my foot, shoveled the ice out. But, since putting down sand, the ducks won't walk on it to pool. So, I've moved their feed onto it. This is plain coarse sand - so that'll do for grit, right?

#59053 - 11/12/04 06:55 AM Re: Fraidy Cats - er ducks & sand
Anonymous
Unregistered

Follow up - got sick of waiting for them to go into the pool so we picked up J & T and physically PUT them in the water. They sat right there, and proceeded to take a very long bath!! Guess this is called 'taking matters into your own hands'...literally!

#59054 - 11/14/04 07:12 AM Re: Fraidy Cats - er ducks & sand
Ducks in a Row Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Pennsylvania
I am also a slave to the leaves, ice, and sand.
I had all three experiences myself the past week. Those leaves in the netting are such a drag. I put 300 lbs of sand around the pond to create a little "beach" when they step out. My ducks had no problem with it, in fact they started nibbling at the sand right away. I think yes, the sand and stones will suffice for grit. mine do. I plugged in the heated water bucket this week, and sadly, today was the first morning with a thin layer of ice on the pond....time to drag out the pond heater too.
My drake jumped in the pond not realizing it was frozen...he broke through the thin film of ice, but jumped right back out when he realized he wasn't swimming very far in the ice.

#59055 - 11/15/04 07:14 AM Re: Fraidy Cats - er ducks & sand
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Ducks - that's really great you have the heaters, wish I could use them. Your ducks sound more courageous than mine...they STILL won't go onto the sand and haven't gone swimming in a week! I put their feed on one of the patio stones which is on sand, and they do eat there but will go no further. Everything is the same except for the sand and patio bricks! They congregate in a corner and stay there all day unless I let them out to free range! I even tempted them with shrimp! Today, I'll try putting the feeder even closer to their pool. Of course, this may set them back and they may need therapy! lol
p.s. I left the broken ice outside the pool in a small heap on one side, but I'll be dog-gonned if I'm gonna carry broken ice out of their pen!!

#59056 - 11/15/04 07:10 PM Re: Fraidy Cats - er ducks & sand
Ducks in a Row Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Pennsylvania
I hear ya, Mare. Last year we were heaving the ice chunks over the fence before we put up netting. Now we may have a problem with that. The heater only de-ices a small space on the surface of the ice when it is REALLY freezing outside. The rest is left to us to chop and remove.
Be careful about the piles of ice though...I've noticed those shards of ice can act like glass and be very sharp...could pose a foot injury problem if we're not careful to keep it out of the way. (my little buggers go right to the ice pile and nibble at the ice chips...must be like a duck popsicle treat or something) :rolleyes:

#59057 - 11/17/04 10:28 AM Re: Fraidy Cats - er ducks & sand
Anonymous
Unregistered

I still have their summer pool inside the pen, but it's coming out soon. The outside spigot has been turned off for the season, so I'm going to fill a small pool near the breezeway door sometimes through winter using inside spigot/hose. So, no ice in pen, fortunately.

I put the food practically IN the pool, and they were hungry enough, finally, to go after it. Got them into the water, too, with my splashing and calling! YAY.

#59058 - 11/18/04 10:15 PM Re: Fraidy Cats - er ducks & sand
Anonymous
Unregistered

I got around to raking the maple leaves last week end. Talk about chicken ducks after I put the leaves into their pen they wouldn't come out of their house. It took them most of the afternoon before they took a walk on the wild side and walked on them. They now don't seem to want to walk any where else but on the leaves. Ducks are a bit nutty. I think I will rake up some more leave and spread them around the rest of the pen. The leaves must feel nice on their feet?! confused :rolleyes:

Ducks know how to keep one guessing.

Have a good day.
Di

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Wieslaw 
Who's Online
1 registered (John), 47 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box