Topic Options
#588 - 08/18/02 07:32 PM Predators
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am new to chickens as an adult(had um as a kid) and am enjoying them alot. I have 20(16 hens and 4 roos)housed in a 14x12 area in my stable. The two outer walls are chicken wire with no holes we can find. The other two walls are wood. During daylight hours the flock has the run of my 3 acres and are tucked in each night. They seem secure but here is my problem. My sister lives 3 miles south of me and lost her entire small flock this year. She is very sad and I am worried about my flocks saftey. We think it was racoons but are not sure. We were able to "dispense with" 5 racoons but she still sees a few around. Her area was what we thought of as very secure, and simlar to mine. A friend said that if we sprinkled red fox urine around it would discourage coons, ferrets, and weasels. Does anyone know if this is true or have another idea? I thought of locking a dog in the isle at night but I have heard that some dogs can be ripped apart by the nasty things.I would be grateful for any ideas and I would like to get my sister started on another flock. Right now she won't get them because she feels they will just be killed. By the way my crew are 3 months old and so far I haven't lost any at all.

#589 - 08/18/02 11:11 PM Re: Predators
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Chicken wire is tissue paper to a big dog-coon! You will need a solid wall or door to be safe and close them every night!!! Year around. You have been very lucky so far. Even my poultry house windows have 1/2 inch hardward cloth behind the glass, when windows are open, they are still even mouseproof. Try to think like a predator--how would you get to those birds?--then do your best to prevent it! Best of luck! CJR

#590 - 08/19/02 08:50 AM Re: Predators
Sadlm2 Offline
Chicken

Loc: California
At Last, perhaps I can help someone as you all have helped me!
Lauren, early on in my entrance into this discussion group, a member named Heidi suggested electric net fencing to me. I ordered it and think it's the greatest. I got it from Kencove.com. In fact, I think they have a distribution facility in Indiana. The fencing is about 165 feet long and you can string multiple fences together to completely enclose your area.
I placed the electric net fencing 3' outside our 6' high poultry fencing and covered the whole area (although 3 acres would be hard to do) with bird netting. You might want to consider ordering more stakes as the stakes are 10 feet apart on the net fencing and I needed to place them about every 5'. You can also use PVC pipe cut to size and notched at the top to hold the fencing. Be sure to discuss your weather conditions as I had to buy what they call "pos-neg" fencing as I live in a dry area.
I do however agree with CJR about locking everyone up at night. I have a secure 8 X 10 chicken coop within the fenced area and although I open all the doors in the day, at night, evryone is in and accounted for. The doors are secured with bolts that are resistant to clawing, pawing etc. Also, I have run extra chicken wire 12" up the sides of the innner fence and 12" iout from the bottom. The bird netting falls 12" down from the top. If I can get one of my kids to post some photos later today, I will be happy to do so. I'd do it myself now if I could but the kids are far more technilogically advanced than I am. Good luck, Linda

#591 - 08/20/02 02:36 PM Re: Predators
Anonymous
Unregistered

Iv`e had trouble with foxes killing my hens even during the day last year Ilost about 25, this year 30. ok one night I left the pop hole open until late and lost 17 in one go. So Iv`e got a 8 week old dog, Its a patterdale terrier available in the states just search the web. these dogs are very game and used for fox and badger digging. They have massive hearts and are afraid of nothing. One man bought one in america and has never seen a fox or rocoon since. If they are brought up with your flock they will never harm them and they are good with people.We have only had ours 4 weeks and already money could not buy him. Electric fences are no good to us as we have horses also .

carrom.

#592 - 08/20/02 02:49 PM Re: Predators
Anonymous
Unregistered

Iv`e found a web site for you to look at.
www.hurricanekennels.com/patterdale.

carrom.

#593 - 08/20/02 03:06 PM Re: Predators
Sadlm2 Offline
Chicken

Loc: California
Carrom, I used to have a horse also and found the electric fence to be great for them. Of course, it was a different set up...the electical component was placed higher up but for horses, it only took one strand. If your poultry ranges with the horses, I suggest a dual set-up of net fencing on the bottom with an electric strand or webbing running directly above that high enough for the horses.

#594 - 08/21/02 12:20 PM Re: Predators
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks so much for all of the ideas, and help. I don't think the netting will work since my horse pasture is about 2 1/2 acres and my chickens have the run of more than that. I thought about covering the coop in boards, but it get very hot here in the summer even at night.I guess I could space the boards a couple inches apart? Thanks so much.

#595 - 08/21/02 04:46 PM Re: Predators
Rob Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Pennsylvania
There really is no good,safe horse fence, but NEVER use any kind of netting where a horse can get near it.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn