Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#97152 - 06/20/11 08:44 PM Re: Ducks/Geese won't go in the pond [Re: Flipflop]
Foehn Online   content
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
Raccoon have been known to tackle pretty big roosters, so I imagine they would not be put off by a goose. The call is entirely yours of course, but I would think night time security will always be important when there are predators in your area. I too would rather be cautious and keep them safe at night.

#98392 - 08/18/11 11:58 AM Re: Ducks/Geese won't go in the pond [Re: Flipflop]
Flipflop Offline
New Egg

Loc: Kilgore Texas
I am proud to say that my geese went out in the pond but only when they were ready. Now they are truly acting like geese. By the way i named them Flip and Flop!!!! Thank you.

#104087 - 06/07/12 12:20 AM Re: Ducks/Geese won't go in the pond [Re: Flipflop]
TommieAnyan Offline
New Egg

Loc: usa
If they are grown and feathered and almost ready to let out unsupervised, then they will be old enough to eat a little bread without harm.

#107699 - 01/11/13 02:05 AM Re: Ducks/Geese won't go in the pond [Re: Flipflop]
D. Roy Offline
Chicken

Loc: Louisiana
Had a similar problem couple of times in the past, my ducks & geese quit entering the pond; they would just stand near the edge, or go in for a (very) quick dip, then return to land.....
Once a large turtle was nibbling on duckling legs, and two other times alligators had chosen to set up house and dine on the locals.
Hope this isn't your problem-
last gator (a 6 footer), had cut the population almost in half before Animal Control was able to capture it.
Good Luck!

Edited by D. Roy (01/11/13 02:08 AM)

#108954 - 03/17/13 08:05 AM Re: Ducks/Geese won't go in the pond [Re: Flipflop]
South Hill Farm Offline
Chick

Loc: Vermont
geese (and ducks?) are incredibly particular about water depth!! they fear turtles and other pond life threats. i have geese that rejected certain ponds in favor of the kiddie pool for years. then one day you'll find them swimming! if a pond is deep enough for a human to swim it may not be suitable for water fowl who prefer shallower swimming. finally, everyone benefits from being locked up at night safe and sound. just takes one nasty thing.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Wieslaw