Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
#59986 - 07/22/03 11:14 PM Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

We have 4 Indian Runner ducks about 2 months old. We have 4 different coloured ducks. What would be the best food to give them now. I have been giving them a mixture of duckling food and mixed grains. Also as many slugs as they want and the dandelion greens. Any other suggestion?

Thanks for any help we are new to this.

#59987 - 07/30/03 06:59 AM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sounds like your Runners are about the same age as ours. We "feed" ours at night - all they can eat. During the day, they free range through the front yard (which is now a lush dark green) and adjacent field, eating insects and seeds and grasses. They seem to prefer hunting for food over the 20% protein duck/chichen feed we currently give them.

We started them on chopped greens in the waterers the second day we got them and I think they're addicted to everthing fresh that is green or crawls. Our flock of 20+ Fawn Runners and 20+ Buff Orpingtons move through the fields like a vacuum several times a day, sucking up bugs, worms and who knows what. They've learned to 'walk down' tall grass to get to the seeds - really quite a site to watch them graze.

Bill

#59988 - 07/30/03 07:04 AM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Almost forgot to mention - we grind up a 100mg tab of Niacin and put it in their water daily. From our research, the typical commercial feeds are short on the daily requirements for ducks. Something to do with leg problems, but I can't remember exactly why or where I read it.

Bill

#59989 - 08/03/03 03:50 PM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dear Bill
Thanks for the info. I'm still trying to figure out what sex they are. I'm now thinking 3 female one male. One is much bigger than the other 3 it also has a bigger bill. The one I thought was a male Big Black as I call it now seems to be the size of the other two. These two are white and brown with a bit of white. The larger one is the multi-coloured.

I have another question for you or anyone out there with experience with Indian Runners. Can they get off the ground. All four have been trying out their wings. One was able to hop up and actually (fly) for a second. I've read they can't fly because they are bottom heavy.

Thanks again for the help.

Dianne smile

#59990 - 08/05/03 05:33 PM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi I have 2 Indian runners, they are about 4 1/2 months old now and they do flap their wings alot but have never flown. I don't think that they can. They just run flapping there wings, I think it is like excercise for them or something.

Kerri

#59991 - 08/09/03 09:43 PM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dear Kerri

I think you might be right about the wing flapping just being excercise. My ducks are also getting rid of some more of their feathers maybe it helps them do that. They seem to think I'm the main duck and go a bit weird whenever anyone else tries to put them away for the night. I just need to snap my fingers and tell them this way and they follow me. They also seem to think that they need to be put in their sleeping area about 1/2 hour before dark. They make lots of noise to let me know when that time is. They are certainly a funny bunch of ducks. :rolleyes:

Have a good day.

Di

#59992 - 08/11/03 07:22 AM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dianne,
I'm certianly not an expert on Runners, most of what we learned was from a couple of books and what we've gleaned off the internet - plus having a bunch of them around when I was a kid (mallards & muskovies?). Without actually sexing ours, the hens are sort of pale colored compared to the drakes, and quack ALOT. The drakes are more colorful, have this little curl in the tale and have a raspy sounding quack, when they do quack.

We built a "Duck house" - about 12' x 8' suspended 16" off the ground on legs. We try to move it ever other day, sort of like moving the fertilizer around the field. It has a poly-plastic type roof, smoke colored so some light comes through, but plenty of shade. The floor has the two end sections with plywood and the middle 1/2" hardware cloth. We made an automatic waterer out of a cut off bucket and stock tank waterer, a feeder out of a 5 gallon bucket we made a horizontal cut (half way through & pushed in) and then cut the lid in half and angled it inside the bucket so the feed slides toward the opening (holds about 8 lbs of feed). We have a light on a timer, on at 6pm off @ 9pm as sort of a "bedtime for ducks" - but they haven't figured it out yet. They are real herdy and all pretty much stick together. We sort of chase them up the ramp into the duck house near dusk - it usually takes a couple of tries before they all 43 manage to get in.

We can sit and watch them for hours, feeding in the field, playing in the small duck pond we built, they are really funny to watch. Even at night, with the light on, they are funny to watch, catching flies - the runners are longer than the buff orpingtons, so they can reach higher and catch more.

As a side benefit, the pond gets pumped when it starts to smell, to a part of the back yard that we're trying to grow newly seeded grass. It's mostly red clay, but with the addition of "duck water" it's starting to show signs of life again. We hooked up a utility pump to a pulsating sprinkler, and it takes about 3 hours of pumping this green tinted water/sludge round and round the yard to empty the pond. We've noticed no foul/fowl smell once it's pumped and spread out. laugh

Bill

#59993 - 08/19/03 08:09 PM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Ducks in a Row Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Pennsylvania
Di...
2 month old Runners can be down to about 16% protien waterfowl feed from what I have read. If they are getting to forage during the day, you can just feed them in the morning and at night before bed...although you can leave it free choice all day if you like and they will eat as they feel hungry. I have runners also and the 8 week olds are starting to get pretty big-Runners are not supposed to be fat so I leave only fresh water in their house overnight.I have 1 and 2 year old runners also. They will need more food in the winter to stay warm, and it is not a bad idea to offer them occasional "snacks" of cracked corn in the very cold weather before bed-the carbs will help them keep body heat in. The greens and insects are excellent. I also agree that the brewers yeast is good for weak legs. Mix the powder in with the food-try a little cod liver oil to help it stick to the pellets. smile

#59994 - 08/22/03 05:40 PM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks to everyone for the great advice. I've now got the ducks on 16% food. These ducks aren't too keen on it though. It falls out of their bills. So the smart bunch have decided to wet it down first. This way it turns into a powder as the pelets break up. I will be giving them grain with this when the weather turns a bit cooler, we did this with the chickens we had and it does seem to help them stay warm.

He is the latest on this bunch. I have one that sounds like it has a cough. It on occasion cough/quacks a couple of time. Usually in the morning. I haven't seen any cigarett butts in the coop!!!! wink

Also when the bunch are having their baths all of a sudden they will start running around very close to the ground. Is this a way of trying to get the best spot at the water hole?? Or are they doing a square dance it sure looks like some of the moves I've seen square dancers do. confused

I will plan to start putting some brewers in their feed.

Thanks again all for your input. Glad to hear mine aren't the only crazy ducks out there.

#59995 - 08/26/03 12:14 PM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

I recently dropped mine from 20% to 17% protein, a pellet mix from Southern States - Game Bird Feed. Did this about a week ago - our Runners are now 9 weeks old, today!

We had to modify the waterer though, took a plastic rectangular garbage can, cut it down to about 6" deep, mounted an automatic waterer on it, and presto! They have a waterer that's close to 5" deep water. We noticed the problem with them trying to clear their nostrils in the old bucket (also cut down) waterer - it was about 2.5" deep. While it worked good when they were little, they had to sort of flatten out their bills to rinse their mouths/nostrils out. We noticed a greater and greater amount of feed was ending up in the water, even though they free range all day long.

Although I haven't heard anything about the excessive protein problem (or read anything), we dropped ours back to save $$$. 50lbs of Southern States Game Bird feed is $6.50 (US). Compared to the $10 per 50lbs we were paying at the Tractor Store or for the Purina brand. Both were pretty good, but their feed intake began to really level off @ 7 weeks. They prefer BUGS! :p

We will be sending some of the Runners and Orpingtons to the freezer soon, but want to keep some for egg laying as well as to build up next years stock. Any suggestions on how to select the best 'keepers' would be really appreciated! My kids (who are the real caretakers - dad funds the operation..... sigh!), are selecting by color/markings. I want to cull the really dumb ornery ones and keep the biggest gainers to continue the stock.

As far as sheer speed and bug catching ability, the Runners are TOPS! The Orpingtons just make alot of noise!

Bill

#59996 - 08/30/03 02:36 AM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dear Bill
I know what you mean about the different temperments of the ducks. The one I'm now sure that is a drake is the one I called Chicken-Duck as it is the most chicken of the four. He always hides behide the other 3 so much for the male protector. The one that developed the most first Big Black seems to be the smartest and the one who is the friendliest. She often looks out for the male and seems to tell him what to do. The white one Fiesty still is the noisiest does the most quacking and still tries to get away if I have to pick her up. The last Orieo the smallest tends to do what ever the other females are doing thought she is the last to do it. Maybe that is why she is the smallest as she seems to be the last one to eat.

Orieo also still has that cough any suggestions about what it could be and should I be worried.

I'm still waiting for eggs I guess they are still a bit young. My husband is telling them their free ride will be coming to an end soon. I tell him they are my ducks don't even think about stew.

I think you should go with your gut feelings I'm sure you have figured which are the best just by being around them. Of course the kids are going to have their favorites so you may have to keep some that you might not have wanted to. wink

#59997 - 09/02/03 01:31 PM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Di,

So much for picking out the best ones - the kids chased down their favorites, marked their little white necks with a magic marker and informed me (with some 'authority') - "Daddy, we're not gonna eat these, the rest are history!".

We have a couple of Buff Orpingtons that must have been born stupid. They 'miss' the ramp into the duck house every night, even with a chute! All the rest just merrily work their way up the ramp, quacking as they go, these hens are just ignorant! The kids suggested we 'dispatch them' ASAP...

They are really funny to watch / listen to in the tall grass. We hear the quacking and hoarse drakes out there, but they're pretty hard to spot. That is, until one of them sticks their head up, looks around for intruders and disappears under the cover again. We call them the "Sentries" - usually 2 or 3 of the Runners, and curiously, always hens! When they do see someone, they let out this, "QUACK QUACK Quack quack" and quickly vanish again. So, we reply as loudly as we can, and start this "quacking war" with them. Our neighbors, 1/2 mile away can hear all this... and seem rather reluctant to let their kids play with ours lately... confused

We love the whole flock, and it'll be hard to do the dirty deed, but, the majority are there to feed my family. I'm actually allergic to bird dander, and the bird fat/oils. I wasn't as a kid, so we're gonna find out if it's the super feeds & whatever else the big commercial operations give them brought it on, or if my allergy is the real thing. On the really down side, the 15 turkeys created enough dander and dust in our basement from day old - 4 week old chicks that I started getting intense headaches again. They've been outside in the hoop house for 3 weeks and I still get all stuffed up and headaches from just walking into the basement. No such problem with DUCKS though!

We are down to about 70/30 free range/feed at this point, maybe closer to 80/20. It is evident in the poop - started as yellow, now dark brown/black. Kinda hard to measure how much they actually eat in the field, but some of the bugs we've seen them catch are in the 1-4" range!

Bill

#59998 - 09/04/03 07:14 PM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dear Bill
Sounds like you have quite the fowl farm. We did have six hens but over the course of 2 years the raccoons got them. I now have a door on the house that the ducks are in. Should have thought about this sooner I think!!!

Our four are really starting to get quite tame with me. Big Black has been coming up to me quite regularly these days. Maybe finally figured out who feeds them. I let them out for a run around the yard and they all have to go running past me flapping their wings. One of these days they are going to blow me over. wink

Orieo the smallest, still has the funny hack/quack seems to be doing ok otherwise so I guess no bad cold!!

It is funny how the females seem to be the ones on guard. They sure don't like it when the neighbors cat walk through the yard. mad

Well that's about all for our feathered friends. Oh, by the way can Indian Runners fly does any one know? I was on a site from England and it sounded like people have lost their ducks to them taking off.

Well Bill I hope your headaches have calmed down and you are feeling better. Nice talking to you again. smile

#59999 - 09/05/03 08:15 PM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Ducks in a Row Offline
Coop Cleaner

my runners have tried to fly-but have never gotten more than about 2 feet off the ground...and that was a broody hen who was glad to be out for a stretch one afternoon. My others just flap their wings and think they can fly by flapping and flapping...I sometimes wish they could just so I could see the joy in their eyes from being able to take flight...but that's just the way they are made...at least they can run fast!! wink

#60000 - 09/10/03 10:46 AM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the reassurence that they don't fly. It's funny to watch mine flap their wings and hop they sure give flying a good try. A++ for effort. I'm still waiting for these three to lay soon I hope. With the couple of days of rain this past week they have been enjoying the slugs again mind you I'm not getting as many slugs after a rain as we did. I wish they could do the same job on mice as they do on slugs everyone seems to be getting mice in the houses this year.

Here's another question about the ducks. Do ducks hate bright colours such as yellow/orange. I put on a jacket this morning that is yellow/orange and they freaked out. I took it off they were fine. I thought animals don't see in colour. confused

Well that's all for this time.

#60001 - 09/11/03 08:19 AM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Di,
Funny you should mention color. My kids lead our ducks around by dragging an orange life preserver behind them. They've done that since they were little chicks.
Bill

#60002 - 09/11/03 08:34 AM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Di and all...
Forgot to mention, our runners move a lot of air and debris on the ground, but that's it! The orpingtons can get 3-4 feet off the ground and about 20 feet distance, but a little more weight, and I suspect they'll be grounded too.

The turkeys (double breasted great whites) CAN and do fly. Almost from a stand still, they take a hop and fly over fences, people, etc. Unfortunately, they also like to roam, one got hit by a car, 300 yards from the hoop house. First casulty.

5am this morning, I saw the duck house and turkey hoop house being tested by a wild dog - he gave up trying to get in! Turkeys just ignored him, the ducks just quacked alot.

Unfortunately, the selection of which ducks to keep is gonna be tough. None of them are marked very well, kinda splotchy around the heads... and I just don't know enough about 'duck confirmation' to pick out the better ones. I think I'll just let the kids play final judge and jury.

We're getting soil samples done this week for tilling and planting the duck pasture. As far as allergies, no problem with ducks, they don't seem to have dander like turkeys!

Bill smile

#60003 - 09/14/03 02:07 PM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello Eveyone
My white duck (Fiesty)got off the ground this morning. It was like the first airplane ride about two feet in height and less than a couple of yards!! She really seemed to enjoy herself.

The four were playing with a snail this morning. It was almost like a game of basketball. Since they can't break the shell they were tossing it around all over the pen. It was quite funny to watch. The four sure have calmed the slug problem down even with a few days of rain we will only see a few about the yard. Before this bunch we would get a hundred or more when it rained. I guess it helps when the four will eat about 40 at a sitting.

So Bill you are still trying to figure out which to keep and which stay. I don't envy you. I find with just four I don't have a problem getting them to follow me around the yard. I usually just have to tell them to get back here if they stray a bit.

Thanks to everyone who is writing in this section. It's great to read how everyone else is doing with their ducks. It's fun to read all the funny stuff your ducks are up to.

Enjoy the day!!

#60004 - 09/17/03 07:30 AM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

The hurricane is on the way, yesterday morning I took the day off to clean up the yard with the kids, empty and refill the duck pond, hook up the emergency generator & emergency panel (former sparky..). Just when I was about to hit the hay, I get called out for a emergency fiber cut - another squirrel chewing away on our network. I'm glad ducks and turkeys don't chew optical fiber, they'd be on my "hit list"!

We moved the spare turkey hoop house into a small depression behind the house to protect it from the high winds that are predicted. The duck house - we'll just play it by ear - if it really starts getting bad, we'll put in on the kids wagons and wheel it down the hill into the same area. This will be really interesting, the storm track is predicted to pass through Richmond VA., which is east of us, but not far enough from Callands. Being located on a hill... where a gentle breese is pretty predictable, we might be in for some high winds. eek

Good day to charge batteries, double check supplies, get out the rain gear, add a couple hundred LBS to the truck and treat the windshield with Rain-X. and pray for the best... if Richmond gets hit hard, it could be a long drive with the service truck.

Meanwhile, It'll be interesting to see how much the ducks enjoy the weather. When it rains, they have a ball, when it's windy, they run around trying to fly - what about the 30-50mph winds they're predicting?

Bill and the rest of the quackers

#60005 - 09/18/03 10:36 AM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Bill and All those in the Hurricanes Way

Just a short note to all of you wishing you the best. Take care of yourselves and your loved ones. We are thinking good thoughts for all.

Dianne smile

#60006 - 09/21/03 09:48 PM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

We made it through Isabel just fine, only lost power for 2 days. Generator didn't run all that good, but when it did, the ducks and turkeys had water. We brought the turkeys into the basement Thursday afternoon when the wind and rain kicked up, the ducks all lined up into the wind and tried flying...

I had to put a flashlight on the hoop house (we normally use for turkeys, but decided to throw the ducks in there for Isabel. Sustained winds of 30-40mph with +60mph gusts, neither the duck house, nor the hoop house took a bit of damage - not even the plastic tarp on the hoop house was torn! We made a point of making sure the flimsy tarp was tight to the metal - that did the trick!

Most of the plastic panel fencing came down (installed by previous owners - we hate the stuff). I made a point of BBQing burgers on the grill, Hannah (the oldest) stood by in the rain and wind to take pictures.... probably a once in a lifetime thing, why not.

While we were expecting days of wind and rain, it lasted about 24hrs - the sun was out Friday morning, and I went chasing trouble calls for work. Not nearly as bad as we knew it could be - God was good to us!

Bill

#60007 - 09/30/03 10:51 PM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Bill
Glad to hear you made it through the big wind for the most part with out damage.

It must have been quite something to see the ducks trying to fly into the wind. Mine still do a lot of jumping into the air and flying for about a couple of feet. It must be so frustrating for them.

We now know for sure we have two duck and one drake. A bit of hanky panky has been going on with the three. The last one big black still hasn't seemed too intrested. I'm sure she is a she but she is the leader of the pack so maybe she has told him to back off so far.

We are still getting record breaking temps around here so the duck are enjoying the sun. I'm sure they will enjoy the rain just as much. The rest of us are enjoying all the sun we can get before the rains.

Hope all is well

Di

#60008 - 10/04/03 03:36 PM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

The last duck has now been found out to be a female. So that means 3 ducks, one drake. I see what people mean by the differences in the voice. The females do have much louder voices than the male. He sounds like he has a frog in his voice. The females really let the world know they are there. My husband said it figures!!! :rolleyes:

He is bigger and has that curl in his tail feathers. He has quite the colouring. I just noticed that he is getting the green colour in his head feathers. He still though hides behind the girls if any one other than myself goes out to have a look at them. As I said before his name Chicken-Duck is him! wink

Since I just picked these out of a bunch of 9 other ducks I got lucky with the way the ratio of the sexes turned out. Since we want eggs it's lucky that it's 3 to 1 females to male.

We have a beautiful sunny day again so they are all out having a lazy nap in the long grass.

Hope every one is enjoying a nice fall day. smile

Di

#60009 - 10/06/03 12:46 PM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Di,
We're into Indian Runners for the eggs too! I don't know if it's because ours spend all day grazing the pasture or what?.... but they are ALL FLYERS. We witnessed flights of over 100' Saturday morning when we were trying to round up a bunch to take to the Farmers market. They were quite a sight, not just getting off the ground, but climbing as they came flying out of the Duck House. The little 18" elevation start really got them going good! eek

Sherie (wife), can sleep through all the noise, I wake at the first hoarse -quack-. And I too am not suprised that the hens are the noisiest!

We sold 2 runners for a $7 @ 4lbs each - not purebreds! And 2 double breasted great white turkeys for $10 @ 10lbs each. Kids keep the money, they did the selling... frown But, it's "seed money" for next years "kids business". Daddy's happy with the results, they did great for the first time at a Farmers Market.

Our plan is to keep 4 hens and 1 drake for eggs and let them start brooding in spring - hoping for a couple of batches next year to rebuild the "herd". laugh

#60010 - 10/16/03 05:47 PM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi- I hope someone will still pick up a letter on this subject. I've been reading about your Indian Runnners and Buff Orpingtons and am very curious about them. Could you tell me if they'd get along with mallards? Are they as delightful in character as they look in pictures? I have two wonderful mallards, male and female, and am hoping to eventually get a couple of Runners, Orpingtons and Magpies, but I don't want their larger size to intimidate my mallards. Also, how noisy are they? My female mallard only honks when she is hungry and right before take-off, and my drake just talks softly. Thanks alot!!

#60011 - 10/17/03 04:33 AM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mare,
From what I remember about Mallards (it's been years...), I'd say Buff Orpingtons are just a touch larger on average. Runners are about the same size, but carry themselves in a more upright position. Both are beautiful birds, the Orpingtons are considered a "dual purpose" egg and meat birds, the runners are like the "leghorns" of ducks - lots of eggs!

The Orpingtons get along GREAT with the Runners, and really look quite a bit like a buff colored mallard.
Runners look like a duck standing on it's tip-toes.
We've got Fawn Indian Runners and Buff Orpingtons - other than posture and color, some of them look like they've could be from either breed.

As far as noise, if you LIKE to hear 'em sound off when someone gets in the yard - get Orpingtons. My neighbor can hear them 1/2 mile away.

Bill

#60012 - 10/17/03 12:13 PM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Bill, thanks for your reply! It sounds like the Orpingtons are noisier than the Runners - I do have neighbors closer than 1/2 mile away, so I may not be able to have them, (darn) without causing some friction. Are Runners quieter than Orpingtons,in general? My mallards and Runners will be together, so should I get two females? Then, I'll have 1 drake to three hens - if they mate, and I assume my mallard drake will mate with another female, (or won't he?) Really hoping the Runners aren't too noisy - we just love the look of them and would like to add them to the "family".

#60013 - 10/18/03 05:20 AM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Ducks in a Row Offline
Coop Cleaner

mare...it is highly unlikely that your mallard drake would physically be able to mate your female runners...his body is too short to "reach" her when on top of her. I have seen small male calls try to mate runners and it is the same thing-relentless effort to mate but that "magic" just doesn't happen...
Now, this could be good and bad...good because you may not want runner mallard crosses...and bad because your drake could harrass the girls and hang onto her back for long periods of time "trying"...(so her neck feathers may be pulled on a lot)that is sometimes what happened with the call and runners I mentioned. However, you may never have a problem. It is certainly not as big a worry than if you were to have the opposite situation-larger drake, smaller females!
Chances are, your runner hens-if you get 2-will hang out together and be friends while your mallards will pair off. There may be the occasional attempt at mating during the breeding season amongst them all but you may be just fine. Oh, and Runners are just delightful! You will enjoy hours of fun per day watching them run and forage...they cannot fly so be sure to protect them from predators-AND the dogs in the neighborhood!!!!!! You need to give them a fenced yard at least 4 ft high for protection. Only let them free range when you are with them as it sounds like you are in a residential area...dogs will most likely be your worst enemy...

#60014 - 10/18/03 08:59 AM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Ducksinarow, thanks for your reply! My mallards are such a lovely pair, so it would be great to have two Runner females pair off as friends - we'll see. It would be very dangerous for all the birds to get another male - he'd try to mate with my little hen and fight with my drake, even if we had a female Runner for him, correct? Yes, we play "watchduck" even when our mallards are out foraging - do Runners stay close and are they easy to herd back into their pen, as our ducks are? They would all forage and get herded back to their pen together. For times when we're not out with them, I'm putting up a "playyard" behind our invisible fencing, so our dogs can't get them, as well as any others. And, I guess I'll need 2 wading pools rather than just one. Thanks again for your help.

#60015 - 10/18/03 05:41 PM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Ducks in a Row Offline
Coop Cleaner

I wouldn't recommend getting another drake...your duck to drake ratio should be 2 to 3 hens PER drake...so unless you are planning to get at least 3 more hens, don't add another drake. It would be too hard on your hens.
If you raise your runners from babies it should not be too difficult to herd them in. Although mine like to go a different direction than I am trying to herd them sometimes...but nothing out of control-it's more comical than anything-the little buggers get going in the right direction back to their yard after I waive my arms and direct them back to the gate door. If they know you from babies you'll have better luck controlling them as adults. I raised all of mine except one from ducklings-the one I didn't was a friend's duck whom she raised and I adopted. They are very good ducks and don't mind me sitting in the grass nearby when they go foraging. I try not to handle mine too much as they don't care to be picked up/cuddled like they did as babies. Runners are sometimes classified as a "nervous" or skittish breed-however, I think they just tend to have a lot more energy and like to run around more than other breeds.

#60016 - 10/19/03 06:16 AM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello there again, we'll definitely go with females. Actually considering the Pencil Runnners - love the idea of seeing them walking and running about the yard - what alot of character - just in their look alone! I'd definitely want them right out of the shell, so they'd imprint on us. Do they enjoy water as much as mallards? (And, by the way, if you're interested in flying, get mallards - it is a feeling unlike any other to feel the air from their wings, and watch them fly so high, then come back to land right beside you. - it's truly awe inspiring!) My ducks spend a great portion of their time in the water. Thanks for the info. on the eggs too - that REALLY relieves me! It'll be so great to gather eggs from my very own ducks and cook and bake with them. I'm excited about it now.

#60017 - 10/19/03 04:52 PM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Ducks in a Row Offline
Coop Cleaner

2 of my Runners are penciled-they are my favorite color and were my first...
If you want to see some photos let me know-I am not sure how to post them here on this forum but i could email them to you if you like.

#60018 - 10/21/03 07:28 AM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi ducksinarow, yes, I'd love to see pictures of your Pencil Runners, (all your ducks, in fact), but I'm fairly new to the computer, (yes, there still are some of us out there), and I don't know how to give you my e-mail privately. If there is a way, please let me know. Thanks!

#60019 - 10/21/03 06:45 PM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Ducks in a Row Offline
Coop Cleaner

mare I do not see a function on this board which allows me to post photos...it looks like there is a "private message" feature above your name. I'll try that and give you my email address. Then you can email me and send me yours so I can share my Runner pictures. (hopefully I can figure out how to send this private message)...
update-ok I just sent your message...see if you can retrieve it under your profile-if you have problems just read the faq at the top and it should help you-that's what I did...

#60020 - 10/24/03 07:45 AM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just adding my two cents worth about Runners. I have 4 all are different colours. They all have their own personalities!!! As far as I know from what has been going on I have 3 females 1 male and even though there has been a fair amount of mating going on I still haven't any eggs.

I let mine out in the yard when I'm around and don't have too much problem with getting them back into their pen when needed. Like Bill I'm able to just sit in the grass while they forage.

One of them, Big Black, as I call her likes me to give her a tickle in the morning as I let them out of their house into the pen. The others are a bit more skitish.

I really enjoy the ducks they are a great bunch to just hang out with and let the days events get out of your mind.

As for their noise these ones only seem to sound off if a cat goes through the yard or if I didn't spend enough time with them in the morning!!

Hope you enjoy yours when you get them. smile

#60021 - 10/24/03 06:32 PM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi, it's great to read about your Runners! I have a couple of questions for you Runner folks, if you don't mind. Do they come up to you and play with you? Our mallards really enjoy playing with us and sometimes my hen will just fly over and land right on my back. And, do they love to swim? If they imprint on us, (which is what I'd want) would their behavior be similar to mallards in terms of friendliness, or are they more aloof, in general? I know that's a tough question, and that each has it's own personality - but, some breeds are more of one thing than another and I'm trying to get a better perspective. Thanks!

#60022 - 10/26/03 10:44 AM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Mare
I didn't get our ducks right out of the egg. They were about 2 months old. These seem to have imprinted on me. They are wary of the other members of my family.

As for being so friendly they will play mine aren't. I have one Big Black, the all black one, who will let me pet it.

I have a white one,Fiesty, who doesn't want to be picked up and will let you know she doesn't.

I have a brown and white one who is the submisive of the 4. She always is ducking her head around the others and myself.

The last one the male who I call Chicken-Duck because he always seems to let the ladies check things out. It's like he pushes them to the front and he stands behind them.

They will follow me around the yard when I let them out of the pen. But are very shy when other people come out to have a look, even with other members of the family. They seem to enjoy my company I really enjoy theirs. They are fun just to watch.

Bill who writes in here might know more as he, I think, raises them from very young.

Hope this helps.

Di smile

#60023 - 10/28/03 04:52 AM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mare,
We've raised ours from day old chicks. Just handle them as chicks, hand feed them, pick them up, let them get useto and encourage them to come to you for treats, food, bugs, lettuce, etc.

Di is right, the hens are the brave ones, the drakes will stand around while the curious girls launch right into danger unaware...

They don't like us picking them up and feeling for breast meat - like they understand what we're thinking :rolleyes: turkeys REALLY hate that too!

They are creatures of habit, and will hang around where ever the consistent food source is. Ours free range during the day and duck house at night. They are awake ALL NIGHT LONG and cat nap during the day, BTW... something to consider if you're in a suburb / city - they WILL alert and go ballistic at the first sight of an intruder, quacking, etc. eek

Best of all, Runners are really funny to watch - hours of good clean entertainment. Like all ducks, if you have a pond, either plan on pumping it out (fertilize the lawn) or learn to live with the smell... confused hmmm.... there is no little face holding it's nose.... frown

Bill

#60024 - 10/28/03 08:10 AM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Bill, very interesting and surprising! I'm kind of disappointed about them staying up all night though and making a racket at the slightest noise. Wouldn't want to wake the neighbors - how long does it last? You're right, they sure are creatures of habit, and one of the many nice things about my mallards is when it's "in" time, they come in, eat, play with us, and then go to sleep. They wake up through the night but NEVER make a peep - it's like they know it's quiet time. Every morning at 7:00, she honks to let me know they're hungry and want to go out. Then, they take-off to the sky,(now up to 11 minutes), circling round and round our house, up over the willows, and if I call to them when they get out of sight, they come right back, right over my head, and she honks as if to say, "We're right here having a ball!" Then, they circle a few more times, always side by side or nearly so, and then make a bee line straight for us, their orange feet dangling about 2 feet over our heads as they come in for a landing. It's glorious!!! (sorry for sidetracking - I love 'em.) Anyway, I've nixed on the Orps for the noise, even though I would like to have a couple and thought the Runners would be quieter. We really like those Runners, and I sure like the idea of getting our own eggs from them. Maybe, as with our mallards, they will adapt to the sounds of our dogs and family life and not stir up a quacking session - what do you think? (Would get them as early as possible for imprinting.)

#60025 - 10/28/03 12:58 PM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mare,
Order day old chicks, or if you're choosey about color, find a breeder. (We're keeping those that look good, got big, and are hyper active - the rest are on sale Friday and Saturday at the farmers market (live).

We quack at ours, but there are so many, they are kinda herdy, with just a couple, they would be quite a bit more friendly. To keep them quieter at night, just cut off all the outside sights. Our duck house is open on 3 sides, with the other sides getting closed up as the weather gets colder. What they don't see, they just don't know is there and they stay quiet.

I like the Buff Orpingtons as much as the Fawn Indian Runners... we're keeping enough of both through the winter to replenish the "herd" in spring.

Sounds like you've got your mallards trained pretty good - our turkeys are like that smile

Bill

#60026 - 10/28/03 09:19 PM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Bill & Mare

Our ducks go into a house at night and even when the days were long we didn't hear any noise from them. They learned to go into the house by themselves I just have to go and close the door at night.

I let them out in the morning and they seem quite happy to see me. Maybe they are just happy about getting out and stretching their wings.

I just wish they would hurry up and start laying. So much for they lay more than chickens. We didn't have to wait this long for the chickens to lay!!

I have an old plastic flower pot for their water/pond. Only one Fiesty seems to want to get right in and have a real bath. The others just duck their heads and splash for their baths. smile

How are your turkeys doing Bill? I was always told they are a hard bird to raise. So are so stupid they will commit suicide if some thing isn't quite right. eek

Well that's all for now.

#60027 - 10/28/03 10:17 PM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Di,
Turkeys are at least as easy as ducks - and just as smart. They say if you can make it through the first 5-6 weeks, turkeys are almost bullet-proof.

Ours are in the 15-18lbs range, very tame - the kids pick them up and carry them around! They EAT a tremendous amount of food, espically now that the fields are getting rather sparse. This Friday and Saturday most of them go to the farmers market :rolleyes:

Next year we're planning on raising Royal Palms and Broad Breasted Whites (again) - and keeping a few for pets to accompany the dozen or so laying ducks we're keeping.

(the only reason I'm up so late is because we're rolling circuits - telephone stuff... I feel like Lilly Tomlin, we're disconnecting a "city"! heheh)

Bill

#60028 - 10/29/03 10:09 AM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Bill and Di, so good of you to reply. I've just got a couple more questions. 1. Are Runners pretty quiet during the day while they forage and 2. Do they love the water like mallards? If we get our 2 Pencil Runners, I think we'd have to get another wading pool. Bill, I'd really like to see that tractor you designed - can you post here or can I send you my Email address? I'm in the final planning stages for my new coop and your experience would be helpful. I'm considering a large door for me, then a small duck door on the side, which would lead out to a completely penned in area - door would be left open all day so they could get in and out whenever they choose, and shut tight at night. I like the portable feature of the tractor - save the land and feed the birds at the same time. Thanks!

#60029 - 11/03/03 11:53 AM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mare,
If you want to drive the 10 or so hours... with that kind of dedication, we'll donate a couple of ducks! You can see first hand how easy the hoop houses are to make, including the doors, tarps, and how easy they just slide around the place. I don't know if you need two doors, the big ones, even with a 2x4 hump seem fine for them. My wife and kids are ALWAYS happy to entertain guests and show off the birds - so bring the family if you decide to make the trip. Either way, I'll try to get some pictures posted. smile

Hard to say how quiet they are during the day, I like to call to them and get them all worked up - "Quacking fights" with the hens.... see who can be the loudest! :p

(actually, each morning, the ducks raid the turkey hoop houses and turkeys raid the duck house, picking up the scraps they miss....

Runners love water, but like most ducks, they don't LIVE in it, they just like to take a morning dip and a couple of quick swims now and then. Runners are agressive grazers - they seem to like grasses just tall enough that they can see over the tops. But ours really like to munch the easy stuff the lawn mower, bush hog, hay conditioner leaves behind. Ours LOVE white dutch clover, espically when it's fresh cut. As they get older, they get lazy, and go for the easy feed.. frown

Bill - a real Quacker

#60030 - 11/03/03 02:54 PM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Bill, well, if and when we're headed down the ole' Virginnie way, I'd sure like to come by and see your set-up, but it'd be great if there is a way for you to post! I don't know if you know, but I've got our ducks sleeping in the breezeway of our house - I like it and don't mind cleaning up in the a.m., but hubby is sick of circumventing around the house just to get to the garage - (can't open the breezeway door, or the dogs will go nuts, so it's a bit of a zoo here, esp. in the morning!) I'm sure I'll end up with a great duck shed, pen, and a tractor! The Runners would love it here, we've got a field full of clover, and dandelion greens, (my ducks' favorite!)

#60031 - 11/04/03 08:01 AM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mare,
I sent my oldest daughter, out to get some current pictures of the hoop houses, hope to UL them in the next day or two. We took pictures of how we constructed one of them, they look pretty good, pretty easy to see how we did it from the pictures alone.

She's trying to get some good ones of the doors, hinges, latches, since those parts are the most difficult.

We spent a ton of money on our original duck house, an 8 x 12 elevated thing that has a screen floor, plastic panel roof and one corner closed off for weather. Our idea was to add nesting boxes for the next bunch (and to collect eggs). Well over $200 to build. The hoop houses are cheap, the ducks and turkeys love them and they easily survived 60 mph winds. The duck house will work good for winter - when I don't want to move it, but the hoop houses are perfect for summer, when we move them 3-4 times a week. It's the accumulation of poop that makes us move them.

#60032 - 11/04/03 09:31 AM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'd be really interested to see those pics too. Do you feel the hoop houses are pretty secure from predators? That has been my biggest concern with most mobile housing plans that I have seen.

#60033 - 11/04/03 11:00 AM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Cattle Panels.... they use them to keep 1/2 ton cows fenced in. I bet the only way a bear could get a duck would be to reach through a 4x4 square and pull the poor bird through - or tip the whole mess over.

We use rabbit guard around the base to cut off the lower areas. So far, I've personally seen wild dogs trying to get in, and I would guess 8 gauge wire (about 1/4" thick) is just too tough for them. I cut the stuff with a big bolt cutter! We haven't had a bear attack yet, but, who knows...

If we ever see a sign of something trying to tunnel in, we'll add a 2' wire skirt around the outside of the base (laying flat on the ground) to stop them too.

I have considered making an insulated "winter house" using 2 layers of cattle panels separated by insulating foam - but haven't figured out a good way to tie the mess together.... yet. When I do, I'll be it would be strong enough to hold all 230lbs of me. I got pictures of my kids (less than 100lbs) sitting on them - they are easy to climb on, and.... my kids frequently do.. mad

Needless to say, I think they are both unique, inexpensive, and the best thing going for selective, intensive grazing. I take no credit for originating the idea - just made it simplier and cheaper... after 3 tries, the 3rd is the best so far.

I'll try to post pics tomorrow - along with the kids (and birds). My home network is acting flakey again :rolleyes:

I enjoy MS products about as much as a stupid purple dinosaur... Alas, Bill Gates owns the IT world...

I hear duck tastes great! Just hard to bring myself to wield the axe - I must be getting soft in the head. frown

#60034 - 11/05/03 10:51 AM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi there! I'm excited to see your hoop houses!! It's so funny, who ever would think in all these years I'd be so happy to see a duck house... but I am!!! Just on a funny side note - my wonderful drake has taken to attacking my feet lately. I can't walk one step,(really!) without him on top of my foot poking at my pant legs and shoes. At first, I thought he just hated brown shoes and pants, so I changed to sneakers and light pants today - same results. I wonder what's up in that mind of his...I even wonder if he's wanting me to spend more time with him, because when I tell him I'll stay a bit, and crouch down, he calms right down and goes on his merry way. Then, if I get up to leave, he starts attacking me again. I almost stepped on him a couple of times - accidentally, of course. What do y'all make of it?

#60035 - 11/05/03 11:39 AM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mare,
I had a pet chicken named "Gary" when I was a 4-5 year old... long time ago. One day, I was taking Gary some table scraps - and that darn rooster ATTACKED me eek He jumped on my back, and started pecking me, knocking me down and kept it up until I was rescued from a sibling.

I don't fear chickens, mad no, I detest them!

As a teenager, we wouldn't bother catching them darn birds during butchering time, we'd just shoot them with a BB gun (in the head)... which probably finally released those ill feelings! laugh

As far as your drake.... "duck soup"! :p just kidding....

#60036 - 11/06/03 02:52 PM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mare & Di,
I have 27 pictures with comments on building a 8 x 16 hoop house - but can't figure out how to upload them to this system... sorry!

Nor do I know of a web site I can send them to, as a zipped file or in a message file. Maybe the SysOp or moderator can help somehow...

Bulletin Boards were so simple - and then, along came the internet, with all it's viruses... alas!

Bill

#60037 - 11/06/03 05:16 PM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Lots of options but hard to say which one will be easiest. A number of ISPs will give you some free space on their server so that you can build your own homepage. Those are pretty simple usually.

There are some other sites that will allow you to host pics for a small fee - I don't know of any free any more. Here are two that I know of:

http://www.fotki.com/

http://www.picturetrail.com/

Another option might be http://www.angelfire.lycos.com/ which is primarily set up for people to build a website for free (paid by pop-up ads) but can easily be used to host your pics. You can't link them from other places on the web but you can direct people there to look at them. I'm sure there are lots of other options but these are the ones I'm most familiar with. If you have seen others post pics here, right click on the pic and you can look under properties to see where they have their pic hosted. That may give you some ideas too.

#60038 - 11/07/03 08:36 AM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well.... here's my opinion.

Some things are not worth spending the time on when you've got little to spare. I'll find another web site that allows posting pics, or skip it althogether. We've spent an afternoon taking the pictures, another couple hours editing and adding comments to them - just to make it as simple as possible for someone to follow & build their own.

If the SysOp(s) or moderator(s) feel it would put their servers at risk, that's their choice and I completely understand. I ran a large multi-line Christian Bulletin Board System in the midwest for 11 years - so, I completely understand. (S.O.N. BBS) Equipment IS expensive and when you're providing it FREE to everyone, every drive crash, cooked component comes out of your pocket book. Only a labor of love keeps you at it.

Bye! frown

#60039 - 11/07/03 08:55 AM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well hi Bill, Sorry to hear about the posting troubles, would have really liked to see your work, but I certainly understand. I'm so new to the internet, I feel like I just hatched out of the egg! Anyway, I think maybe my hubby can get a pretty good grasp of it with the the info. you've kindly provided, so I'll pass it along to him. We'll work something out, for sure. By the way, I'm convinced that drake of mine is doing his darndest to keep me outside with him - I've experimented with different shoes, pants, and if I'm walking toward his pool, or sit, he just happily walks beside me, or stays right near me; but if I head toward the house, he hops on top of my feet and pecks and pulls at my socks, legs, and hard! He's never left a mark on me - til now. I can only conclude it's his way of saying, "Don't go in, yet!" I've gotta say, I must look quite ridiculous walking around kind of like how Frankenstein walks,(so I don't crush him underfoot) with a duck on my feet.

#60040 - 11/08/03 04:33 PM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Mare & Bill

Well we have just had a week of freeze. It has been cold and dry record breaking temps which isn't hard to do around here as we live on the West Coast. We should be in the rainy season right now. This weather should come Dec or Jan. I wonder what Mother Nature has in store for the rest of the season. Mind you it has been nice having the sun out every day. cool

The ducks haven't been enjoying it as their pen has been a bit slipery with all the water they sloch around. Also I have had to bring in their food bucket at night because they get the water in the food and it freezes solid. It is a bit funny watching them walk on the ice. wink

It warmed up today back above the freezing temps so I had the ducks out in the portable pen to let them root around in the grass. I didn't do that this past week as the grass was thick with frost. They really seemed happy about being out on the grass. smile I will be putting them out in the pen again tomorrow.

My ducks still let me know when I haven't spent enough time with them. They just all start quacking loudly I don't have any of them try to trip me up. eek

I'm glad Bill you were able to work through you issues with the chickens. I guess a little revenge does help with some problems. laugh

By the way Bill I once cooked a duck years ago. Oh yes it was bought at the store. Any way it was very nice, I put apricots over it while it was cooking. You have to make sure when you cook them to put it in a pan that will keep it out of the fat. The birds are very fatty compared to a turkey or chicken.

If may husband had his way we would be eating these four very soon. I found out from the lady who I bought the birds from that these probably won't start laying untill the days get longer again. They matured late in the season so we will have to wait a bit longer for the eggs. Oh well they are just fun to have around.

Well thats all for now.

Take care.

Di

#60041 - 11/13/03 04:07 PM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think the COOP allows posting pics though I may be wrong. I have two websites and can try to post them for you if you'd like. I'll try a test here to see if I can get it to work. Seems to work in preview mode. We'll see if it works in real life. BTW, this isn't a runner. LOL! wink

#60042 - 11/14/03 08:42 PM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dear Daphne

Well at least we now know that you can post pictures on this web site. That's a great picture is the duck one of yours? Not quite an Indian Runner but cute any ways. laugh

I would love to post pictures of my four. I'm not so high tech that I have a scanner or a camera that is able to take pictures with out film. Oh well maybe one day I will move more into the 21st century. wink

Thanks for updating us.

Di

#60043 - 11/16/03 04:31 PM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes, she is mine. Calls are about as opposite of Runners as you can get but I had just gotten the pic up on line so it seemed a good one to test wink

#60044 - 11/18/03 12:02 PM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

What a pretty lil' girl she is!! She looks so much like my female mallard, only more petite and with a smaller bill. I swear, ducks are the cutest things going. I guess this call duck must be a 1st or 2nd cousin of my mallards, right? I wish I could post some pictures as well, but I don't have the right equipment. I'm sure you'd all get a laugh seeing me in my nightgown and puddle boots, walking out the back door with one duck on my back and the other on my foot.

#60045 - 11/22/03 12:07 PM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bill, are these your hoop houses that were posted on Homesteading Today? Awesome!

http://homepage.mac.com/linwoodhart/chickentractor/PhotoAlbum15.html

Mare, I'd like to see those pics but the pic in my mind will work too! LOL! They are certainly characters. Most breeds of domestic duck are derived from Mallards though no where near as close as 1st or 2nd cousins. wink Hard to imagine sometimes when you look at the extremes (Calls, Runners, Rouens, Pekins, etc) but people have worked for hundreds of years to "perfect" (a matter of opinion) some of the extreme breeds we have today.

#60046 - 11/26/03 09:05 PM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't think I've asked this question if so please bear with me. My 4 will go into their house if it's a frosty night but will not go in unless I shoo them in if it's raining or above freezing. Any ideas as to why???

Glad to hear that I'm not the only person that is out with the ducks with my house coat and rubber boots on. Often I have the old mans jacket over top if it cold or raining. It's lucky we don't have neighbors too close. With the internet they might be able to make some money if they splashed the pictures on it. eek

All is well with my 4 they are as nutty as ever still no eggs. frown I guess we will be waiting until it starts to get longer days again. I've also noticed that the mating has seemed to have stopped or at least it isn't happening in front of me now. wink

That's all for now. Take care every one.

Di

#60047 - 12/01/03 01:59 PM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yup, that's our pics, me wearing the hat - inspired me to start losing weight too! It was a really hot & humid day when we built that one. One pic has our expensive duck house next to one of the hoop houses. All that money and now we have to replace the mesh floor - sagging badly, the wire stretched, even with support boards 6" apart.

Lots of people on Homestead Today - messages get buried FAST, and their server seems to CRASH whenever I'm on it... a jink, I guess. I DO like their "quote" feature, and being able to scroll back through messages you're responding to - maybe they can add that here (SYSOPS love to hear that kind of talk!)

ALL of our remaining 14 ducks are flyers, 7 Orpingtons & 7 Runners. They can, they do, and after seeing their buddies get whacked, they seem to practice more often. We saved the best & biggest Orpingtons & the best marked runners to rebuild next years flock.

After spending last week in FLA, visiting mother, brother & sister - they showed us their ducks. A HUGE pekin drake, a mallard hen and this egg laying thing that walks funny.... yup! a Runner! Nice looking bird, looked like she was getting ready to lay another egg that day.

We're gonna keep what we got, and get into pekins big time next year, more meat, faster growing... let the orpingtons hatch them until we get an incubator... :p Now to find a good source for Pekins.

#60048 - 12/01/03 09:18 PM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Bill
So you finally decided to thin the crowd did you. eek I'll bet the others are learning to fly or to run fast. Runners can run fast. Mine do the latter.

Do you also sell the meat commercially? I know you have said some of them go to the farmers market. Is your farm a hobby or are you completely into the farming?

What site have you got your pictures posted? It sounds like a good site. I haven't run across it yet on my look through the cyber space stuff.

My ducks are still not wanting to go into their house with out my shooing them in at night. Don't know why maybe they just want to say goodnight. confused They were doing by theirselves for a while but then stopped. So there I trudge in the dark, wind, rain or frosty nights.

Animals do train us quickly!!

Well that's all for tonight. Hope the Xmas stress isn't catching up with your family.

Di smile

#60049 - 12/02/03 12:36 PM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

yup, Di, we actually kept MORE than originally planned (5+5), the freezer will only hold so much.
I know, I'm an EVIL person in the duck & duck lover's world, a "marked" human among ducks, mad they're conspiring to fly off - but, we did our best to explain what a "pardon" means to a duck laugh and promptly went about whacking turkeys instead!

We sell at the Farmer's Market and by word of mouth. Most people want them processed intead of live - we're working on that next... we put an ad in the local paper and got several calls on turkeys we currently don't raise - but will next year. wink

The pics are not on a web site per say, a gracious person(s) had a web page and posted them - they were looking for something cheap & strong, built something already and wanted to see something else. I had to reduce the resolution by 75%, but they're there.

We'll be looking for Pekins pretty soon.... Easter you know, right around the corner.

#60050 - 12/03/03 06:50 AM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi there everyone, Bill, I think I saw your pictures on that Homesteading site, too. That's amazing those hurricane winds didn't blow your hoop house over! I really like the idea of it - esp. since there's so much natural light. Thanks for showing us! By the way, there's a farmer up the road here who has lots of goats and lambs - I saw a funny looking thing in his front field. It looks like a very large whitish tupperware type doghouse, round, maybe 8' across, 4' high, and the goats and lambs go inside on their own when they want to get out of the elements. It looks pretty portable, though he keeps it in the same spot. I've still got my ducks sleeping in the breezeway - yesterday, it was so freezing and windy, when I let them out they immediately sat down on the deck - I've never seen them do that before. When I opened the door - they came right back in and didn't want to go out again. I think maybe their spoiled - (an understatement). I'm letting them fly just before it's really dark - they are going to stir crazy and, I hope, the hunters are all done for the day by nightfall.

#60051 - 12/03/03 08:27 AM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mare,
The hoop houses are really bottom heavy, they'll skid around in heavy winds if you don't anchor them.

We found a use for those old big satelite dishes - put them up on stakes and give your birds some shade. We converted an 8' one to a portable shade, on hot sunny days, everything went under it, ducks, turkeys, dog.

We're getting anxious for next year... I had to resist ordering Pekins today... just a little too early, too much inside time on feed instead of out in the field. It's gonna be a long winter... Time to get those runners egg production cranked up! I want omlets!

#60052 - 12/05/03 11:52 AM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, Di & Mare....

We got snow followed by 1/4" of ice last night. Yesterday morning, the ducks were hesitant to leave the duck house, staring at the big white blanket. But, sheer weight prevailed - they crowded up on the ramp so much, the first one got pushed, and the rest followed, quacking nervously! eek

This morning, was a different story. Ice wasn't as noticable, and they went sliding down the 6' ramp, head first, tail first, feet first, sideways - you name it, anything but gracefully, down the ramp. There was a 14 duck pile up at the bottom, ducks quacking, pecking at eachother, scrambling to get up, slipping here and there. smile

No broken bones, nor strained legs, they're all busy drilling holes in the yard, through the snow & melting ice. Still making use of the pond too.

The turkeys are WHIMPS. They saw the snow and refused to come out yesterday - frozen in fear. The kids physically carried them from their roosts to the greenhouse - shaking in fear all the way. They spent the entire day in the greenhouse. Today they got kicked out and managed to walk through the 1" of snow like a cat afraid to get it's feet wet. After feeling sorry for them (2 left), sitting on the porch swing, they were hand carried back to the greenhouse again...

I'm sure the turkeys are glad the snow doesn't last long in southern Virginia...
Bill

#60053 - 12/05/03 08:22 PM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok Bill that was quite the picture I got from your discription of the 14 duck pile up. I had a great laugh from that discription. laugh We haven't had any snow yet. Lots of frosty days and some very near snow days but nothing yet. We are getting some major rain and wind right now. Doesn't seem to bug the ducks. Still won't go into the house at night unless I tell them to. Last night I put on the yellow rain jacket as it was raining so hard. The ducks went nuts, even more than usual, I think it was because I put the hood up. One even stuffed herself into the 3 inch space behind her house and the fence. I had to shoo her out from the other side as she would have never got through the other side.

The amount of quacking and flapping and running around was worring me that they were all going to hurt themselves or me. eek It's hard to chase them around in a slippery pen in the dark. It's bad enough that I have to do their morning routine in the dark these days. I really hate these longest days. frown

Well that's all the antics from this end.

:rolleyes: Di

#60054 - 12/06/03 07:34 AM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Bill and Di, duck pileups, turkey taxies, slipping around in the dark chasing ducks - we should have our own sitcom! Well, the plows are going by right now - snow's coming down very heavily - up to about 4" already and it's still morning. Don't know if you've read my other posts about Julia laying her first eggs - we're going to eat them this morning. I was so happy - but that faded fast when I learned she's not supposed to be laying now - (light in breezeway caused it). Toon, our male, grabs ahold of my arm whenever he can, and goes to town with it - I'm black and blue from the hand up! Since the snow and freezing cold - I've now been filling up the deep basin next to the washing machine so they can have a bath - they've taken to sitting atop the washer and dryer, gingerly stepping off into the basin, and splashing water all over the place. I'm sure my hubby thinks I have completely lost my mind. By the way - Toon is still learning new words - if I say, give me a kiss - he kisses me, want to play with my earring - he pokes and pokes at it, give me a hug - he wraps his head over and around mine. Now, if I can just get them to clean up the breezeway!

#60055 - 12/08/03 02:36 PM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

The snow is gone, revealing all the reddish brown holes they drilled in the front lawn! mad The Turkeys have gotten over their fear and the ducks have gone back to demanding their release in the wee hours of the morning when it's just getting light and I'm leaving for work.

They see me walking away from the house and some hen will "QUACK, QUACK, Quack, quack" or more like a "MACK, MACK, Mack, mack" at the top of her lungs. I just answer back with the same, "MACK, MACK, Mack, mack..." - which sets them all off, a chorus of raspy sounding drakes, "wack-wack, wack-wack, wack-wack" and hens trying to out quack eachother.

It's those Orpingtons, I just know it - flaunting their stuff, knowing they're safe from the dinner table... demanding special treatment & an abundance of popcorn. :rolleyes:

We were thinking of putting them to bed with the 2 remaining turkeys (also spared, the kids, their advocate...), but there seems to be some kind of class warfare between them. 14 to 2 sounds lopsided, but the turkeys are pushing 25-30lbs each and pointed beaks! eek On the other hand, the turkeys are quiet. When they stroll into the duck house in the morning to raid the feeder, the ducks scatter, staying at a safe distance, objecting loudly mad

The free range food is scarce, and the birds want to stay close to the houses instead of roam the big fields. It's all there, still green, but they won't even bother with it. frown

In spring we put up the big green house (out of cattle panels), and start growing more of our own veggies - they'll get more treats then. Plus the field is gonna get frost seeded with the "bird blend" to keep them foraging & happy.

...and then there's gonna be some new birds in town... things ain't gonna be the same wink

#60056 - 12/12/03 11:29 PM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Bill and Mare

This is all too funny for a sitcom. No one would believe it. Nothing on TV is as funny as the ducks we all have. My husband still doesn't get why I like my 4 so much. smile

Ok Mare your ducks are very spoiled. I thought my tossing grass greens to my bunch at 7:30 am when it's almost still dark was a bit much, but duck on dryers!!!! eek

You have also confirmed what the lady who sold me the ducks said that it's daylight that affects the laying. By the way how were the eggs?? laugh

Bill it sounds like your place is going to get more interesting with the new bunch arriving. When will you be getting the next ducks? I guess your ducks are smart as they stay away from the larger birds with the sharp bills.

The weather is still wet out here so the ducks are happy. It also helps the grass to stay green so they have a bit of greens with their grain.
Helps to keep the costs down since they still aren't earning their keep. They had better do some serious egg laying come spring. :rolleyes:

Well that's all for now take it easy every one.

Di

#60057 - 12/13/03 05:48 PM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Di, listen, if you really want to have a laugh about spoiled ducks, check out Runners thread in the Poultry Mis. section - (Tractors, Free Range etc.) You won't believe it till you see it! Well, as for my little Julia Grace's eggs - she's layed 3 - and they're all a gorgeous soft green, sitting in a brass bowl on my hutch, uneaten because my kids got upset at the suggestion. (They wanted to hatch them - and I'd have hatched one, but we don't have an incubator). So, there they sit - and now I wonder if it is too late to eat them, because I'd still like to. She certainly is light sensitive - makes me wonder if light therapy might help with fertility problems in humans.

#60058 - 12/13/03 05:50 PM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Di, listen, if you really want to have a laugh about spoiled ducks, check out Runners thread in the Poultry Mis. section - (Tractors, Free Range etc.) You won't believe it till you see it! Well, as for my little Julia Grace's eggs - she's layed 3 - and they're all a gorgeous soft green, sitting in a brass bowl on my hutch, uneaten because my kids got upset at the suggestion. (They wanted to hatch them - and I'd have hatched one, but we don't have an incubator). So, there they sit - and now I wonder if it is too late to eat them, because I'd still like to. She certainly is light sensitive - makes me wonder if light therapy might help with fertility problems in humans.

#60059 - 12/21/03 03:06 PM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

I read the posting about the very spoiled ducks. My jaw just dropped. But I guess there are people who keep their pigs inside!!! I think us westerners are a little bit silly when it comes to our animals.

Light does lots of things to animals and people. My son has Seasonal Affective Disorder. You should see what happens to him if he isn't out in the daylight enough at this time of year. We know that many animals hibernate in the winter so why wouldn't it affect the flying friends with their egg laying.

This will be my last posting for the season as it will be crazy at work the next few days and also we are going to in-laws for a few days at Christmas.

Many happy returns to all. Bill and Mare I look forward to more tails of the ducks in the new year.

Happy Holidays All

Di smile

#60060 - 12/22/03 06:19 AM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Di,
I useto suffer from SAD - that was before they had a name for it. I took up Xcountry skiing, the super bright sun reflecting off the snow made me feel great! Since the early 80's, we've changed out all the lights in the house to the brightest, most natural lights we can find. Works! We removed all the incandescent bulbs in the house (60 watt), and replaced them with 25 watt compact flourscents - yields 100 watts of light for less than half the cost, and the color tempature is close to natural. We have also used 70 watt HIDs in the living room, to keep the orange trees green, VERY bright!
-----------

Merry Christmas everybody!

#60061 - 12/23/03 01:54 PM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Bill and Di and everyone - I'm glad I'm not the only one here who has SAD - although actually maybe I'm not glad because it's a real -----! Bill, I'm going to try some of those lights. I keep all the curtains wide open, painted all the walls yellow, wake at the crack of dawn to get the most light, and can often be found sitting under my "imitation sunlight" lightbulb, sipping a lemonade with a parasol (for effect)gazing out the window at the latest 500' of snow as I fantasize I'm in the tropics.

#60062 - 12/30/03 04:55 AM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mare,
I didn't know there was a name for it, didn't know what it was (SAD), but I knew every winter, for about 3 months (Dec-Feb) it was really difficult to manage my attitude with such depression. Once we started a family, it got even worse... until I heard some guy with similar depression would sit under a bunch of bright lights for a couple of hours each morning, and that did the trick.

I found lighting up the whole room was simplier and worked better than a bunch of ugly bright lights in a corner. By far the best was going cross country skiing in the early mornings!

We changed all the lights in the living room to the brightest & cheapest thing we could find. Unless someone brings up the subject, we don't even think about it. We did initially notice it seems to cheer up company, having a brightly lit living room, as well as making it easier to read.

On the otherhand, we've noticed our Orpington ducks are just about as quiet as the Runners, which makes sleeping a whole lot easier. It might be the absence of light, it might be there's just less of them - who knows.?

They are enjoying the 50-60f warm weather lately, carrying on as they did during the summer...

#60063 - 12/30/03 08:32 PM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

My son suffers from SAD. He was diagnosed with it after I got scared when at the age 9 he suggested that maybe it would have been better for everyone if he wasn't around. I actually saw by the old channel surffing one night on 60 Minutes an article about SAD. The symptoms fit my son to a tee. So I took him to our doctor with my research in hand and was ready for a fight. Thankfully our doctor was up on the subject and took me seriously. My son then had to go to a phyciatrist who of course put him on pills.

Well after more research I found out that the leading experts in this field recommend light therapy before drugs. It took a lot of work but we finally got the military to move us from Northern Alberta to BC. Well to make a very long story shorter we have been here 3 years now and the improvement is remarkable.

The trick how much daylight rays get into your eyes. My son now walks home from school most days. A good 15 mins. You can get the special lights to help. You don't need sunlight you need daylight so you must get outside for the proper rays to reach your eyes. You can't stand behind a glass window.

I don't know if either of you are into vitamins but the B complex help too.

If you want some more information about SAD there are some really good sites. There is one from a doctor in the USA, one site in the UK and one here in Canada. Just type SAD into a search engine and you sould run across them.

By the way getting on the subject of the ducks. Ours got their first taste of snow. They didn't seem to mind it this morning but, according to my daughter they had had enough by this afternoon. It has been snowing all day and doesn't look like it will let up any time soon.

Well everyone have a safe New Years Eve. I'll be talking to you again in 2004.

Di smile

#60064 - 12/31/03 03:32 AM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Sally Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Florida
Hi all.
I have been sitting here for an hour reading all your posts! LOL You all are a hoot! I have ducks now and again. I manage a feed store and seem to have been elected as the area poultry co-op manager...aka...any poultry, fowl, bunnies, goats, etc. that nobody wants they "manage" to get them to me hahaha laugh
I wanted to coment on a post about the use of old T.V. satellite dishes: I was "given" one (smile) and I put it on top of a round hay bale keeper to make an emergency shelter for some goats received and in quarentine. I covered it with a heavy tarp. We also had a hurricane threat but I wouldn't risk putting them in the barn with the regular goats.... MAN it worked so well we use it all the time now and we always look for more if we can find them!! We can move it around, not too heavy, we are gonna put it on fat wheels (like wheelbarrow wheels. Happy New Years
Sally

#60065 - 12/31/03 09:53 PM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dear Sally

Thanks for joining in. I had no idea when I posted this topic just asking a few simple questions about the Runner how much it would take off. Bill, and Mare and I all seem to have some very interesting ducks that keep up our smiles. We would love to hear some of your stories. Glad we could give you a grin. Maybe if more people grined at what ever the world would be just that much better. smile

As you can see by the last topic on SAD. We don't always stay on topic but that's ok. We seem to be lending each other a little moral support. So if you want to talk to us about other animals, the weather please feel free to.

Take time to smell the roses as it does cover the smell of the ducks, somedays!! laugh

By the way the weather update here is that it has snowed for two days straight. Oh my, it's lucky we moved from snowy Northern Alberta so I do have snow tires for my car and we do have a snow shovel. The ducks are West Coast Ducks they really don't like this snow. My Alaskian Malamute dog that was born in Alberta has been loving it he has been just lying in it for the two days. :rolleyes:

Happy New Year All

Di

#60066 - 01/09/04 06:12 PM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Happy New Year birds of a feather! I hope this new year is very good to all of you. Welcome, Sally - that's really great people can come to you for help. I sure hope you're able to get some money for food and care. Bill, cross country skiing sounds great - maybe I'll try it again, now with kids in tow. So clear outside it helps clear you up inside - the bright blue sky, the fresh, crisp air, and a thermos of hot chocolate. Di, how is your son doing? Is he off the medication now? Tryptophan, an amino acid, is helpful,too. It's found in turkey, chicken, milk, potatoes, and peas. It increases the serotonin in our brains, which is correspondent to depression, as you probably already know. Today, my kids, dogs, and I huddled together on the couch and soaked up as much sunlight as we could. My dogs always lay in the sun on freezing days like this - if there's a patch of sunlight, they'll find it. You're right, vitamin B complex helps! I find a regular bedtime, waking schedule helps, too, but most of all - the outdoors. It's going way down tonight - colder than the -21 (wind chill) than we awoke to this morning. It must be even colder in your neck of the woods - the kind of cold that freezes your eyeballs in mid blink. Try to stay warm gang.

#60067 - 01/16/04 09:26 PM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Mare

Sorry to hear about the deep freeze. We had a week of cold (for here) temperatures. Nothing like what is happening back East right now. Then we got a dump of snow. The heavy wet stuff. We got about 2 feet in a couple of days. The ducks were not impressed. Neither was I when it took my son and I 45 mins to dig out the driveway for me to go to work. Most of the other stores were closed but not ours. I got a bit stuck on the way. Lucky I had ten years of driving in Northern Alberta so I was able to rock myself out.

The ducks had quite a time as they would walk for a bit then sink. They weren't happy about the cold temps either. They are West Coast Ducks. As soon as we got the snow the temps warmed up and it started to rain. Slush every where for a number of days. We are now back to normal temps a bit of sun and mostly rain. The ducks are happy.

My son is doing very well this year. With the extra walking home he is showing very few signs of the SAD this year. I am also thinking that the B vits. are helping too. I know how much the B vits help me and that I can tell when I haven't been taking them. He is off the medication has been for a few years as he refused to take them. How do you force someone to take something if it really isn't life threatening. I'm glad he is off as the side affects were getting worse than the SAD.

Well that's all for now.

Stay warm
Di
PS Our dog loved the snow and cold he is an Alaskan Malamute. I think it reminded him of home in Alberta.

#60068 - 01/23/04 04:53 PM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Di, I tried to PM you, but I don't think you're set up for it. Anyway, hope things are going well for you. We are back in the freeze again, had a few days of above zero weather, now we're right back in the subzero digits again. And, to think I took my kids swimming (indoors, of course) today - pppretty rrrefrrresshing once we hit the arctic air on the way back. I know what you mean about the side-effects of meds, esp. with children. It's so scary to have your child on any kind of medication, but then to witness the side-effects; it makes you wonder if you're doing the right thing. I'm glad he's off it; the B vitamins, the sunlight, regular sleep schedule, and getting outside alot - good things for SAD folks, for everyone. Had you heard about the Tryptophan? It comes in supplements at health food stores, but the doctor says it's better to get it in foods.

#60069 - 01/23/04 08:05 PM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Mare
I just changed the profile so you should be able to pm me now. It might not work as we are I think at least 3 hours difference in time zones. But we can try.

I hadn't heard of the natural drug you were talking about but thankfully we do eat the foods you had talked about. We are eating more chicken this year so maybe that also has helped. Thank you for the information.

We were watching the news tonight and they were talking about the temps going back down for the Eastern US and Canada. We are going back down again to about 32F. I know that doesn't even touch what everyone back there has been experiencing but these past couple of weeks have seen our temps in the 50's. Much too warm for this time of the year. Mind you the Ducks seem to like the new grass growth. If this keeps up I will have to cut the lawn in Feb. cool

My ducks are being interesting again. I have to tell them to get into the duck coop now. I go outside and say get in the house and they do. They are a constant source of fun. The male, Chicken-Duck seems to be molting or maybe just growing new feathers right now. I see in their pond his feathers after he cleans himself. I think Fiesty the white one might be doing the same thing as I see her feathers in the pond as well. Mind you she is the only one who sits in the pond and bathes. By the way their pond is a larger plastic plant pot. I'm going to have to get another one the same height but bigger before the summer comes along.

I see we haven't heard much from Bill but I think he mentioned he was getting into his busy season.

It's also nice to hear from all the others who have been joining into our discussion.

Take Care Mare and everyone.
Di smile

#60070 - 02/03/04 07:55 AM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Di, check your pm's. Hope everyone's well and sure hope your ducks are too! Warmer today -it's a heat wave if it's over zero these days. I've got a snow joke in Miscellaneous for anybody who needs a laugh. Have a great day all!!

#60071 - 02/06/04 09:18 PM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Everyone

Sorry I haven't been on line the past week the Mydoom bug was going around and it got into one of our computers. What a pain still haven't got rid of it yet. Thankfully we have more than one computer so I was able to get back online with this one. I hope they get who sent that bug.

Well we got another couple of feet of snow. mad What's up with the weather this year?? The ducks came out that morning and were not happy. They had just got back down to mud a few days before it happened. I must admit it is quite funny watching them trying to stay above the snow. I have to trample down the snow so they can get to their water and get around the pen a bit easier. The snow has been slowly melting and we have grass showing again. We are suppose to get 4 days of sun so hopefully it will melt the rest then I can get them out in the portable pen on the grass. laugh

Oh yes they are still molting. They daylight is finally increasing so I hope eggs soon. wink

That's all for now.
Di.

#60072 - 02/09/04 08:51 AM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Di - ours are cranking up the egg laying here in Virginia, none are broody though. We pulled a couple of cracked ones out of a nest Sunday morning.

Pretty darn good omlets!

#60073 - 02/12/04 09:09 PM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Bill
Long time no hear. You must be busy. I'll bet they must be good food. I can't wait to get our eggs. It's about time the freeloaders started to earn their keep!!

I have noticed that ours are on occasion going into their house during the day is this a sign that they might be thinking about laying? I put our 4 into their house at night and let them out in the morning before work most days that is about 7:30 so they are getting more hours of daylight now. It is so nice to be able to see what I'm doing at that time of the morning and not be stumbling around in the dark.

The snow is finally gone from the yard it only took a week very unusual for around here. We usually get a dump of about a foot or more then it is washed away by the rain in a couple of days. Not this year. Myshelf and the ducks will be happy when spring finally arrives.

Well that's all for now.

Enjoy the eggs.
Di

#60074 - 02/12/04 09:12 PM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Mare
Check your PM I did reply. Hope you are feeling better. The flu is really starting up around here again. Must get more of the Vit C in me and my two. We don't need it.

Di

#60075 - 02/13/04 09:01 AM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Di,(thanks, check pm), Bill, Sally, everyone,
Are you all coming down with spring fever like me? I know my ducks have it, Toon mated with Julia this morning and he's been following me around alot closer lately; I'm starting to do the Frankenstein walk again so I don't step on him. He waddles up to the kids and gives them an authoritative poke to keep them in check. My daughter blurted out, "Hey Toon, you're not da boss a me! Mommy, tell Toon he's not da boss."
Never in a million years did I think I'd be
involved in conflict resolution between a duck and my kids.

#60076 - 02/13/04 08:36 PM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

I need some advice about one of my ducks. The white one has hurt her leg. She is limping and has spent most of the day in the duck house. The others seem to watching over her. I have put the food and water nearer to her so she doesn't have to walk much. I have no idea what happened she was ok last night. I didn't notice her when she was let out of the house this morning. I only noticed she was limping when I went to see why she was in the house this morning. confused

I am planning on letting her just rest and hope that she has just pulled a muscle. The leg looks ok it's not at a funny angle and there are no cuts on it. It was a bit slippery this morning so maybe when she got out of her bath she might have slipped. Is there anything else I should do. Does brewers yeast in their water help with leg problems?

Other than limping she seems ok. She was outside a number of times with the other 3 eating and drinking.

Any ideas any one? Thanks for any help.

Di frown

#60077 - 02/20/04 09:02 PM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Update on the limpy duck. She seems ok now. I'm so glad. The day after she hurt herself she was already on the road to recovery. I had to seperate the male duck from her as he seemed to be very aggressive to her the next day. That separation for that one day seemed to mello him out. I don't know if it was a case of him wanting to mate with her and her avoiding him as she was sore or he was just being nasty since she was hurt. Survival of the fitest??

Any way things seem to be back to normal with the 4. We still haven't got any eggs yet. How many hours of light do they need before they start laying. Should I be providing any other place for them to lay beside their house? I'm going to get the laying pellets this week end maybe that will help.

Di

#60078 - 02/23/04 09:23 AM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Di, didn't read this post til today. So glad your duck's leg is better. You know, I wonder if she pulled a muscle or maybe your drake hurt her by alot of poking - (just some ideas). Julia's eye is all better now too, after 2 days of being shut. I'm pretty sure Toon poked her in the eye - he's being even more bossy and pokey lately. The males are getting so, as I like to say, hormonally challenged. (lol)

Julia laid eggs right on the rug, and in the water, but has now taken to laying in the corner on a bunched up sheet she arranged nestlike. If you have corners, or soft straw nesting areas where they can get nestled down, I think they'd like it.

I also just learned that ducks have their own quirky schedules -so don't worry, they'll start laying soon. Light definitely makes a difference - even a little bit, so with spring a comin' - you'll have eggs!

#60079 - 02/27/04 09:37 PM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here's a question for you duck lovers. Why is it when the ducks are just standing around they sometimes flap their wings just a little bit? I could see it in the summer to maybe keep cool but right now it's not that warm outside. I thought they might be trying to intimidate but it is just a very small flapping motion. Does it maybe keep the air circulating under their feathers?

My four were out in their portable pen today. At one point I looked out and the four were resting in the grass soaking up the sun. I couldn't blame them it was a beautiful day very spring like. cool They have been really enjoying the green grass that they get each day. If I can't let them out in the portable pen then I just pick the grass for them in the morning. I put some crushed shells in the pen today they really seemed to enjoy them as it was all gone by this afternoon.

Still no eggs. frown

Take care all.
Di

#60080 - 03/21/06 12:57 PM Re: Indian Runner ducks
Joachim Dippold Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Austria
Hello,

Quote:
Originally posted by Di:
Oh, by the way can Indian Runners fly does any one know? I was on a site from England and it sounded like people have lost their ducks to them taking off.
I was searching for wingflap because i wanted to know something COMPLETLY different, but since no other poster had answered this question i just jump in if you donīt mind.

Yes, Pins can fly! Pins = Runner Ducks, we call them Pins because they look like bowling-pins on feet to us. LOL

When in panic they can fly quite a respectable height and distance, a befriended fancier has lost one of her ducks due to flying over the fence and has never seen her duck again;-(

Also when Pins feel like flying they do it just for the kicks of it. We monitor our ducks, espacially the drakes flying about 15 ft at a level of 6 ft above the ground once or twice a month.

When i open the coop-door in the morning Duffy flys directly into my arms! Our Pins like to dance ontop of the hay-stack. When they walk down from the stack the ones behind fly over the ones in front if the leading Pins walk too slow.

The wingflapping while bathing is for shaking off excess water. The wingflapping after mating/having sex is for showing the other ducks how "mighty" one feels;-) The wingflapping while running is just exercise, but they can really fly if they want to. When they want to fly they donīt run, they take off without running first, they take off from the stand!

Hope this helps,

best greetings,

Joachim

edit: I just noticed there are 7 pages in this thread;-) Since the search-tool only did display 1 post i answered the question. Sorry if this is a double posting!

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Wieslaw