Topic Options
#60097 - 11/08/08 09:53 PM goose with damaged beak
Anonymous
Unregistered

hi there,
We have a goose that stuck his head through our backyard fence and one of our dogs decided he was fair game. The dog took off part a major portion of the goose's upper beak. Now he is unable to pick up food and eat. I've tried to hand feed him but the goose won't go for that. I tried to moisten his food hoping it would stick in his mouth but he just can't pick anything up anymore. Any ideas of how to care for him now?
Thanks for any advice!

#60098 - 11/10/08 03:22 AM Re: goose with damaged beak
Jocelyn Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
I had an emu tangled with a coyote when it jumped the fence looking for dinner in the barn. As his Missus was down laying an egg, the male felt very protective and killed the coyote. He did suffer major damage to his beak in the process, one claw too. I glued the claw so he could walk, but just left the beak to grow out. It was very tender for several days, and he did accept hand feeding, even though your gander didn't. Don't worry too much, as they can survive on only a few crumbs of food for the several days it will take to become less painful. Surprisingly enough, even a major portion of lost beak will regrow, often misshapen if the bone is missing. The beak is actually the upper jaw, covered in horn, and as the bone regrows, the beak will too. As long as he still has the portion with the nostrils, it will grow back, just an off shape.

#60099 - 11/11/08 07:34 AM Re: goose with damaged beak
Ridekool Offline
Flock Leader

I don't know if a gooses bill will re-grow like a chicken's beak (or an Emu's) It might be best to put him down...?

#60100 - 11/14/08 02:41 AM Re: goose with damaged beak
Jocelyn Offline
Lord of the Fowl

How is your gander, Dear? Can he eat a bit yet?
Up date us all....we are rooting for him.

#60101 - 11/14/08 05:43 AM Re: goose with damaged beak
Ridekool Offline
Flock Leader

Yes, how is he???

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Wieslaw