Topic Options
#60321 - 07/17/02 05:38 PM Where's The Archive? Sick goose!
Anonymous
Unregistered

My Embden goose lost the muscle tone in her left leg today. leg is warm, but otherwise seems fine. No tears in skin or on her foot pads, no broken bones or dislocations, no obvious trauma. she is alert, eating and drinking, but is moaning when she honks sort of. the only odd thing she's doing besides being unable to get around is when she drinks and wags her head, she brings her neck back as if she has an itch on her back. Will call the vet tomorrow but was hoping to search past posts on "limberneck"? Any idea where they are now? Thanks anyone!

#60322 - 07/17/02 05:56 PM Re: Where's The Archive? Sick goose!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here's a couple of things I found that might help. The first from the University of Florida has a treatment listed using Epsom salts.
KariS

Article on common poultry diseases:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/BODY_PS044 then scroll down to Botulism

Article on limberneck in wild fowl:
http://www.caldu.com/same12.html

#60323 - 07/18/02 06:53 AM Re: Where's The Archive? Sick goose!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the sites. I'm pretty certain from descriptions on other sites this is what she has. She's completely off her legs, neck out, feathers falling out... i started her last night on 1tbs. Epsom salt in 1/2C water, and i'm trying to keep her drinking. She is still alert, and aware, managing to keep her head up most of the time. Called the vet, he said supportive fluids and gavage feeding if i can manage it, there is an antitoxin available but it is really $$$. He suggested an antibiotic to kill any remaining bacteria. She's 18 hours out and still holding on... she doesn't seem to be in any pain, so we'll keep treating her. Anyone else with ideaS or info, i'd love to hear from you. Brightwolf@aol.com Thanks! Kathe

#60324 - 07/19/02 06:03 AM Re: Where's The Archive? Sick goose!
Big Boy Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Kansas
I occasionally had problems with this in the past and found that keeping the pens and bedding as dry as possible (for waterfowl anyway) and promptly removing any potential maggot breeding areas including dead animals and wet fodder is helpful in prevention. I haven't seen it on my place since '78. One good thing is that if they recover it's usually a complete recovery or at least it has been so for me. You seem to be doing it alright and hope that this missive finds your bird getting better.

#60325 - 07/22/02 10:58 AM Re: Where's The Archive? Sick goose!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Goose and duck are much improved. Please see my story if you need to in the general waterfowl forum on poultryconnection.com

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Wieslaw