Topic Options
#60635 - 08/23/02 05:03 AM sick goose
Anonymous
Unregistered

Help, somebody! My beloved Benjamin is sick and I don't know what to do for him! He appears listless and this morning It looked as though he couldn't see, he kept walking into the fence and the walls. His head is curved downward and he tries to eat but he then shakes his head. He does the same thing when he tries to drink. There is no visible sign of injury, so he's most likely got a bug? When I pick him up he strains like it hurts him. Then he had a buttercup yellow substance come out of his vent. He didn't honk or make any noise at all when this happened. Does anybody know what I can do?

#60636 - 08/23/02 11:11 AM Re: sick goose
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't know anything about geese but I didn't want you to think no one cared... Is ther anyway he could have gotten into someting toxic? could someone have thrown him something that was poisoned? It really doesn't sound heat related (the trouble I'm having with my chickens..) How's his water supply? he's not able to get to something that may be tainted?
I know these are all reasons he may be sick and doesn't help you out now.. my book on raising poultry successfully says that..
"I cannot think of any particular disease that is likely to affect a small farm flock. Geese are the most hardy of all domestic poultry. Good sanitation is the best prevention for disease. It is important that their yard is well drained and does not contail stagnet pools of water. If one or more of your birds becomes ill, consult your local extension poultry speialist.."
I hope that you find the answers to Benjamins deliema and that he recovers quickly..
and again, I'm sorry that I'm not much help
frown

#60637 - 08/23/02 11:52 AM Re: sick goose
Anonymous
Unregistered

There seem to be so many diseases out there that it is hard to know. From a quick look around I wondered about lead poisoning?

Also looking on the web I found the following at a website from the UK so I am not sure if we have this here in the U.S. or not. I picked it out mainly for the fact that they mention apparant blindness. It does say it affects geese as well as ducks.

DUCK VIRUS ENTERITIS (DVE)
" In breeder ducks, the range of signs include photophobia (fear of light or apparent blindness), polydipsia, loss of appetite, ataxia, watery diarrhoea and nasal discharge. Birds often have ruffled feathers and soiled vents. Sick birds may maintain an upright stance by using their wings for support, but their overall appearance is one of weakness and depression. In ducklings 2-7 weeks of age, losses may be lower than in older birds, and the signs associated with DVE infection include dehydration, loss of weight, a blue colouration of the beaks, and bloodstained vents."

#60638 - 08/27/02 05:03 AM Re: sick goose
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'd like to thank you both for your responding. I did get Benjamin to the hospital in time, thank goodness! He had a bacterial infection. Jemima shows no symptoms as of yet. Don't know why she didn't get it too?!? But, I'm going to bring Benjamin back home today. I've gone through the yard with a fine tooth comb in cleaning it. Is there a spray to disinfect the grass and such that is critter friendly?

#60639 - 08/27/02 05:21 AM Re: sick goose
Big Boy Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Kansas
I am glad to hear of his recovery smile . I haven't had any problems (KOW) thus far so I couldn't help. I was glad that those that responded had what I call good chicken sense. Sanitation plays a major role in keeping our flocks healthy but even then we can get a 'bug' from furred and feathered intruders. I keep these things filed in the back of my mind (since the attic is already filled with junk) for future reference so can you tell me what kind of bacterial infection (staph, etc.) Benjamin had and what was used to treat it? Thank you and good luck.

#60640 - 08/27/02 08:35 AM Re: sick goose
Anonymous
Unregistered

GG, I'm so glad to hear that Benjamin's recovering!! What a scare! Did the vet give you any indication what type of bacteria this was and how is it transmitted? I know of nothing that will 'sanitize' a yard without doing harm to the 'good' bacteria there, and balance in nature is what we're looking for.. If your vet can't give any recommendations as to what caused it, it may have been a fluke.. I'd just keep an eye on him and give him lots of love!! :p

#60641 - 08/31/02 07:16 AM Re: sick goose
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, Benjamin is home and doing better. He is wobbly on his feet yet, but his strength is making it harder and harder to give him the medicine. The doctor says it was enteria? He has given me an antibiotic called trimetheprim sulfa 48mg. to be given orally for 10 days total. 7cc. per dose. This is most disgusting for me and Ben, he doesn't like it at all and we both are covered with splotches of pink sticky stuff by the time I'm done dosing him. Thank goodness he doesn't love me any less! Haha! But he is back to bullying Jemima, which is his natural behavior, very jealous of her attentions to me. I've placed a tub in the yard for them to bathe in and I'm installing a small pond this weekend, that will be permanent. Thanks to all of you who have responded. It's good to know that you are out there. I was having a very difficult time finding anybody who know about geese exclusively. Now, I have someone to talk to about my babies!

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Wieslaw