Topic Options
#60691 - 08/19/02 08:58 PM Eastern Wild Turkey Still laying Fertile eggs!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am very confused. This is our first year breeding these turkeys and I thought they only lay from March until June. We had 3 hens, on which went broody the middle of April and stayed that way until the beginning of July. I was still getting eggs through July 22, which just hatched 2 days ago. Then there were no eggs until last week when one started laying again the ones from the 12 or so are fertile and I am still getting an egg every day. We live in CT. Could the hen that went broody for the whole season now be laying the eggs? We are just so puzzled and amazed as this is contrary to everthing we have read or heard. Any insight or opinions would be welcomed. Thanks

#60692 - 08/19/02 11:48 PM Re: Eastern Wild Turkey Still laying Fertile eggs!!
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
The wild turkeys on my farms and adjoining farms usually try to nest early, but weather and predators that steal eggs, keep some hens laying quite late, so that after harvest, they bring the young out on the fields from the woods and we get to see the successes. The young poults are all sizes, according to time of hatch. But Wild Turkeys in confinement areas do not follow the pattern of the wild, necessarily. The books just give a "normal" schedule--but normal is only an average of many factors! Weather, feed--length of day repeating that of earlier in the year, may upset Mother Natures usual plan. Just be happy about it, if you want the eggs--as next year weather conditions and other factors may be different! Good luck, CJR

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2