Topic Options
#60739 - 05/09/05 05:47 AM bob white question
Tiffany Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Texas
Has anybody tamed a bob white? I have a 3 day old and it is so curious and watches me. If I keep it by itself would it tame? My parents are so fasinated about it, that I thought about giving it to them. I am scared of the type of encloser, an aquarium seems dangerous, a cage in not as nice looking. I would like to make the encloser natural looking, and it would be inside. They won't be taking the bird out but I want it to be tame enough that when you walk by it doesn't slam into its house. I would need at least a 55gl long aquar. or encloser right? Any ideas?

#60740 - 05/10/05 12:24 PM Re: bob white question
Bonnie in IN Offline
Chicken

Loc: Indiana
gO TO A SEARCH ENGINE---GOOGLE ----AND put in Button quail. They are small andneed to be kept in the house.

Bob Whites are [in my opinion] the nastiest tempered bird around. I am raising some at the moment and they kill each other and they will not tame down. I have them in with chicks and they ate the beak off a chick- and the chick was flapping its tounge. I put the chick down. It will be a very happy day for me to send these quail down the road.

Search the web for Button quail----there is a forum.

#60741 - 05/10/05 02:03 PM Re: bob white question
Tiffany Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Texas
I raise button, this is my first with BW's. Yea I learned the hen is the worst she attacked my Corturnix. The bob whites are all by themselves now, I only had the pair.

#60742 - 05/15/05 02:34 PM Re: bob white question
Moo Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Washington
I would put it in with some calm chickens(cochins orcornish or another slow calm breed) and handle it as much as you can. It may or may not calm down it just depends on the bird.

#60743 - 05/17/05 09:43 AM Re: bob white question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by tiffany:
Has anybody tamed a bob white? I have a 3 day old and it is so curious and watches me. If I keep it by itself would it tame? My parents are so fasinated about it, that I thought about giving it to them. I am scared of the type of encloser, an aquarium seems dangerous, a cage in not as nice looking. I would like to make the encloser natural looking, and it would be inside. They won't be taking the bird out but I want it to be tame enough that when you walk by it doesn't slam into its house. I would need at least a 55gl long aquar. or encloser right? Any ideas?
We have had GREAT success with a group of 7&7 Bob Whites in a 5x8' mini-hoop house. The bottom is completely open, and we move it around through both tall and short grass. The more grass the better for them, the less grass the better for you. My 6 year old daughter crawls inside this thing to collect eggs daily, and so long as she moves slowly, talks to them, they walk right up to her and take popcorn bits from her.

Unfortunately, we started these guys without enough handling, so retraining and calming has taken much longer than birds we handle from day one.

In the hoop house, we have a little wire arch 3' long x 10" high, covered with a piece of marine carpet, one end open, just in case they want a place to hide. Scared for a couple of days, not it's used in the really cold weather - they huddle together inside it.

The overall height of the hoop house is about 4', with a 2x2' door on one end and a 2x5' shelf across the other end. The elevated shelf has a 13lb feeder we fill by pouring through the top of the hoop house wire. About half the hoop house is covered by an el-cheapo tarp. All wire is vinyl coated, 3/4"x3/4". Small enough to keep out the snakes, prevent the varmints from reaching in and vinyl coated kept the birds from cutting open their heads when they were flighty.

The more birds, the more cover they need as a means of separation. Putting BW's in a totally open cage (other than just a pair) is bound for disaster. Tall grass provides visual cover from predators as well as from other quail. When they get stressed out, they need LOTS of cover to hide, or you will have canabalism and fighting to contend with.

Moving the pen around 2-3x a week or before the grass starts getting picked clean is wise!

Of all the birds we raise, the Bob Whites make the sweetest cooing sounds, and nicest calls - much better than a pheasant (sounds like a steam engine whistle!)

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2