Topic Options
#60746 - 09/09/02 07:02 AM Does anyone raise pheasants?
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Arkansas
I'm just curious, after going to a poultry/bird auction on Saturday, if anyone here raises pheasants? We saw quite a few at the auction and I'm curious what they are like to keep -- behavior, tameness, do they need enclosed pens? How do they do in hot or cold weather conditions? Are they noisy?

I don't know the first thing about them so I am just curious if it's something we might be interested in doing or not. Just wanting to know a few basic things about them if anybody here has experience to share.

Susie

#60747 - 09/09/02 12:08 PM Re: Does anyone raise pheasants?
Rob Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Pennsylvania
Susie, my son works for Pa. game Comm. He is a "propagator", ( kinda like me, im a instigator) At the pheasant farmwhere he is employed, they hatch 80,000 chicks per annum. I get my share if i want them. I DONT. They are wild, canabalistic, + more, andf pretty. If you are interested in pheasants, try some goldens. They are alot easier,my opinion. Yes ringnecks require pens, they take the harsh weather in stride, their behaviour is nuts, just when you think they are tame, because they eat near you, they go beserk. But, that said, I know folks who enjoy raising them.

#60748 - 09/09/02 06:07 PM Re: Does anyone raise pheasants?
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Arkansas
Thanks, Rob! That's exactly what I needed to hear, and also what I suspected. Very pretty birds, but doesn't sound like it would be "my thing". I appreciate the insight.

Susie

#60749 - 09/09/02 06:11 PM Re: Does anyone raise pheasants?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Rob is correct! The exotics (red golden, yellow golden, lady amherst, reeves, blue eared, etc...) aren't that bad to raise, although they will never become tame. Ringnecks and the mutations are another story...they are a big pain! I use ringnecks for dog training and I cant stand even having them in my holding pens. They are pretty, quiet, and interesting to watch, but they require so much pen room (roughly 10 sq. ft per bird with blinders on). You must pen them in, they cannot be free-ranged. Even when brooding chicks, at 2 weeks old they fly around the brooder like crazy when you try to feed and water them...I've had my share of escape artists flying around the basement! I'll take quail and chickens anyday!

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2