Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#60774 - 01/10/07 04:36 PM my button quail
Anonymous
Unregistered

i recieved a button quail for chrismas, this will be my first bird and it is losing feathers rapidly, it's legs are both bald... should i worry?

#60775 - 01/10/07 04:59 PM Re: my button quail
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Arkansas
Aren't the legs supposed to be bald??? Do you know how old the bird is? I think this topic should get moved to Health or maybe even the Quail subjects.

#60776 - 01/11/07 12:11 PM Re: my button quail
Anonymous
Unregistered

She's around a year old, and she had leg feathers when I recieved her.

#60777 - 01/11/07 10:47 PM Re: my button quail
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Arkansas
Are her legs irritated, bleeding, or rash-like in any way? Has she been pecking at her legs? Where is she housed?

I just have never seen a button quail with leg feathers.

#60778 - 01/16/07 03:47 PM Re: my button quail
Hahnsberg Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Texas
I have never seen a Button with feathered legs, if by feathered you mean like a d’Uccle or a Silkie. Do you perhaps mean the upper thigh, the ‘drumstick’ bit? Could you post a picture?

A hen that is a year old or so? That is fairly old for a button hen – if they have not been fed well, that can mean extreme old age. Button hens lay ALL the time – very large eggs, relative to their size: they need lots of calcium and protein. Try offering her some mashed up hardboiled egg, shell and all. If she comes round, game bird starter (or. Failing that, turkey starter) are good.

If you have no other Buttons, a single bird gets very lonely, and while it varies, a pining bird can fade.

I hope she gets better.

Best wishes for a turn around,

Richard

#60779 - 01/16/07 07:02 PM Re: my button quail
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just had my 4 year old male button quail die. He was alone for almost two years, because the strain of eggs gets the better of females around 2 years old.

My birds would go into rapid moults that would leave them looking very strange, so she probably is moulting. I would like a pic to make a better diagnosis.

#60780 - 01/17/07 07:48 PM Re: my button quail
Goat Man Offline
Feather

Loc: Pennsylvania
my female button quail died. the male has become very vocal. are they normally loud? this bird wakes the family up at night.

#60781 - 01/17/07 09:02 PM Re: my button quail
Hahnsberg Offline
Coop Cleaner

They are very social little beasties. As I said above, they will pine; and while the little cocks give their laughing crow (rather loud for so small a creature, no?) and the lower, raspy squawk with a mate and to ward of other males, when solo, they crow very often.

CJR once had a clever bit of advice for someone who had a single chick in need of company: a mirror. Perhaps a small one will sooth him until you can get another female.

Richard

#60782 - 01/21/07 05:33 AM Re: my button quail
Anonymous
Unregistered

she is currently living in a 3' by 2' cage in my bedroom and last night i noticed that she had pin feathers... and yes, i'm sorry it was her upper thigh "drumstick" region. i do have another question though... could she be crowing?

#60783 - 01/21/07 10:07 AM Re: my button quail
Hahnsberg Offline
Coop Cleaner

I must still admit I have never seen them molt that way before. Buttons can be bad feather-pickers – since you got her at Christmas, I maybe wonder that she was not so long ago with other birds? But she is replenishing her feathers: do give her a high protein diet. Many give them only finch seed, which is not enough. Turkey or game bird starter are much better. If you have neither to hand, mash up a hard boiled egg, shell and all (she will start laying soon, and will need calcium).

Yes, the little hens do crow – not often, but I have seen them crow (stand almost vertically and give the loud laughing, three note crow), as well as make the low squaaaaaaawk (horizontal, head down, crop inflated). What colour is she? Some mutations are hard to sex, but perhaps you have a male? If you could post a picture, perhaps I could help you tell if it is a cock or hen. If not, www.zebrafinch.com has many pictures of the various colours, male and female. Perhaps that will help.

If you have the one, she will be far noisier than were she with another bird. If you have a male, you can be assured he will crow often looking for a companion. If you have an incubator or access to one, you can easily and inexpensively order a dozen eggs. They are very easy to hatch, and seeing what looks like a tiny, tiny little chicken that could fit on a nickel run around a brooder is a charming sight.

Richard

#60784 - 01/22/07 07:23 PM Re: my button quail
Goat Man Offline
Feather

Loc: Pennsylvania
i tried the mirror and it worked very well.the bird has quieted right down at night.

#60785 - 01/23/07 02:28 PM Re: my button quail
Anonymous
Unregistered

where should i post her picture?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2