Topic Options
#60803 - 10/15/04 05:35 PM Source for Ruffed Grouse?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am wondering if anyone knows of a good source for day old or eggs? I'm interested in 300-600 eggs or 200-300 day old chicks

Bill

#60804 - 10/15/04 08:36 PM Re: Source for Ruffed Grouse?
John T. Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Mississippi
To my knowledge there is no one who sells grouse eggs. Pairs cost at least $250 if you are lucky. They lay about 15 eggs per year and fertility on caged birds isnt very good. To buy 300-600 eggs if you could find them it would cost in excess of $8000-$10,000. Chicks would be even more.

#60805 - 10/18/04 01:37 PM Re: Source for Ruffed Grouse?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Johnt,
A few years ago, I spoke to a guy in West Virginia that raised them. I could have gotten some 150 chicks for some $90. Wish I could find his number.

VDGIF said it was a waste of time, reintroduction had been tried, but habitat and predation were the biggest problem. (Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries)

I think we're just about ready to give it a serious go this time.

...when I was a kid, I thought the drumming was a bunch of renegade Indians living in the woods, then I saw one on a big old log.

#60806 - 10/18/04 02:05 PM Re: Source for Ruffed Grouse?
John T. Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Mississippi
I think the man was probably selling coturnix instead of grouse. 3 years ago we were getting $250 per pair and had people waiting for them. Many people will offer to sell something but always be sure they know what they are selling. The problem with grouse is you can't raise them like quail. When the young are ready to be put out of the brooder they need to be separated from each other, completely seperate pens. They are very aggressive, not very hardy(pen raised birds), and are prone to have seasonal die offs.
The fertility isn't very high and they do not lay very many eggs. To sell you 150 chicks would be the entire years crop of at least 20 breeding hens, in a good year.
If you can find the mans number it would be a very good idea to buy everything he has as they could be sold the next day for 100 times the original cost. Just be sure he knows what a grouse looks like.

#60807 - 10/18/04 02:20 PM Re: Source for Ruffed Grouse?
Anonymous
Unregistered

LOL!
Johnt, thanks! You've echoed some of the problems VDGIF shared with us, my assumption was/is habitat was a bigger factor than predation.

Is there a rule of thumb concerning density per squ ft? I don't have a problem sectioning a big flight pen, even putting alternating pheasants between them as dividers to keep them from fighting (might help the pheasants too)

It sounds like you've quit on them, but do you know of any resources (online or books {preferred} or individuals that aren't as pessamistic as VDGIF?

Sounds like the guy had coturnix.

Another thought, how about dividing them up into the quail pens or in with the pheasants? We've got 4' of grasses for both, and although the pens look empty... they're there. We almost step on them - scares the -blank- out of ya when they kick up!

Bill

#60808 - 10/18/04 05:35 PM Re: Source for Ruffed Grouse?
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Pennsylvania
I have a collector friend in search for grouse also(in Pa). He has been on the prowl for a year. His facilities are built. They have money sticking out their ears but no internet.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2